2013 Laguna Seca World Superbike Superpole Results: Short Tracks Allow Second Chances
Taking place at an earlier time than usual, to allow the AMA races and race one, to be held at the end of today, to fit the schedule. The short track, with laps under a minute and a half, allowed for plenty of attempts at setting a fast time.
In the opening Superpole session, Niccolo Canepa set the time to beat, wrestling his Ducati Panigale round, visibly forcing it to do his will, riding it in a style that has been lacking from the regular Ducati riders, but Eugene Laverty, Chaz Davies and Tom Sykes all beat his time. The Jordan Motorsports riders were both able to qualify for the second session.
Chaz Davies headed Superpole Two with a 1’23.056, ahead of Sylvain Guintoli and Tom Sykes. Roger Lee Hayden and Danny Eslick were eliminated this round, along with Leon Haslam.
The final session allowed everyone with qualifying tyres left to challenge for pole position. Again, Canepa set the pace time, albeit half a second off Davies’s time from last session. It didn’t last long as Guintoli, Laverty and Sykes all sliced three quarters of a second off it. Eugene Laverty, however had a rear qualifier left and he headed out for one more time, taking advantage of the short track’s second chances. Unfortunately, he crashed out, pushing the front past the limit of adhesion with his fresh rear qualifier. It was left to his teammate, Sylvain Guintoli, to steal the top space from Tom Sykes, with his first pole position of the year.
1. Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'22.683
2. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'22.698
3. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'22.728
4. Niccolò Canepa (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale 1'22.824
5. Chaz Davies (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1'23.040
6. Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'23.353
7. Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1'23.363
8. Jules Cluzel (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'24.079
9. Ayrton Badovini (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale 1'24.789
10. Roger Lee Hayden (Michael Jordan Motorsports) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'24.133
11. Danny Eslick (Michael Jordan Motorsports) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'24.153
12. Leon Haslam (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 1'23.754
13. Michel Fabrizio (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 1'24.212
14. Mark Aitchison (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'24.364
15. Toni Elias (Red Devils Roma) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'24.456
Did not qualify for Superpole:
16. David Salom (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'25.449
17. Blake Young (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'25.661
18. Federico Sandi (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'25.668
19. Vittorio Iannuzzo (Grillini Dentalmatic SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1'25.975
20. Glen Allerton (Next Gen Motorsports) BMW S1000 RR 1'26.735