World Supersport at Silverstone was raced over sixteen laps under a grey sky with marshals keeping their rain flags handy.
Sam Lowes and Kenan Sofuoglu charged towards the white flags and Sofuoglu wasted no time in passing Lowes as the two left the rest of the field behind. Florian Marino led Christian Iddon, Kev Coghlan, Michael Van Der Mark and Riccardo Russo, fighting for third.
On the fourth lap, more white flags were shown, indicating rain, but the front two showed no signs of slowing down, with Sam Lowes setting the fastest lap during the race and the pair recording most of their laps faster than 2’10 from beginning to end.
Six laps in, Michael Van Der Mark rode into the back wheel of Florian Marino, destroying his front mudguard on Marino’s rear tyre, sending them both off the track. Both riders were able to get back on track and fight for points.
At the front, Lowes let Sofuoglu past for the lead, but as they raced on a straight section, Sofuoglu struggled with a tear-off on his visor and Lowes easily passed him. Riccardo Russo in third place lost the front and sent his bike into the gravel while Fabien Foret showed his late race pace and settled in fourth place behind Kev Coghlan as the laps started to run out.
Sam Lowes dropped half a second to avoid tagging the rear of Kenan Sofuoglu and took a couple of laps to recover the deficit. As Fabien Foret and Kev Coghlan started their fight, Sam Lowes closed up to Kenan Sofuoglu and the last lap started.
Sofuoglu led with Lowes in his shadow, twelve seconds clear of the fight for third. Sofuoglu rode defensively as Lowes probed to try and pass until he eventually found a way past on a tight pass on the inside of a right-hander that led to a left. As Sam Lowes swept into the left turn, he left a gap that he closed quickly only to find Kenan Sofuoglu in the space he was riding into. Sofuoglu prised Lowes’s bike off the tarmac and, unknown to the Kawasaki rider, causing Lowes to crash.
Lowes held onto the bike as rider and machine slid off the track and he was able to pick himself and the bike up and get it running again, not having let go of the clutch. Kenan Sofuoglu took the win while Sam Lowes was able to recover from the crash and finish a mere nine and a half seconds behind him, keeping his second place ahead of Fabien Foret who managed to pass and hold off Kev Coghlan for third place.
While Sofuoglu was unaware that he'd knocked Lowes off, he should have been aware Lowes couldn't see him on the inside. Sofuoglu’s actions on the last lap are added to his many controversial moves while Lowes was able to retain second place, and the lead in the championship, in spite of the crash.
1. Kenan Sofuoglu (MAHI Racing Team India) Kawasaki ZX-6R 34'25.660
2. Sam Lowes (Yakhnich Motorsport) Yamaha YZF R6 34'35.161
3. Fabien Foret (MAHI Racing Team India) Kawasaki ZX-6R 34'37.825
4. Kev Coghlan (Kawasaki DMC-Lorenzini Team) Kawasaki ZX-6R 34'37.919
5. Christian Iddon (ParkinGo MV Agusta Corse) MV Agusta F3 675 34'38.151
6. Roberto Rolfo (ParkinGo MV Agusta Corse) MV Agusta F3 675 34'38.250
7. Jack Kennedy (Rivamoto) Honda CBR600RR 34'39.285
8. Florian Marino (Kawasaki Intermoto Ponyexpres) Kawasaki ZX-6R 34'40.669
9. Michael Vd Mark (Pata Honda World Supersport) Honda CBR600RR 34'47.059
10. Vladimir Leonov (Yakhnich Motorsport) Yamaha YZF R6 34'47.481
11. Lorenzo Zanetti (Pata Honda World Supersport) Honda CBR600RR 34'49.124
12. Roberto Tamburini (Team Lorini) Honda CBR600RR 34'53.234
13. Luca Scassa (Kawasaki Intermoto Ponyexpres) Kawasaki ZX-6R 34'53.300
14. Alex Baldolini (Suriano Racing Team) Suzuki GSX-R600 34'53.433
15. David Salom (Kawasaki Intermoto Ponyexpres) Kawasaki ZX-6R 34'53.898
16. Mathew Scholtz (Suriano Racing Team) Suzuki GSX-R600 34'54.696
17. Glen Richards (Smiths Triumph) Triumph Daytona 675 34'54.868
18. Ronan Quarmby (Prorace) Honda CBR600RR 34'59.792
19. Sheridan Morais (PTR Honda) Honda CBR600RR 35'08.846
20. Luca Marconi (PTR Honda) Honda CBR600RR 35'09.040
21. Imre Toth (Racing Team Toth) Honda CBR600RR 35'17.932
22. Billy McConnell (Smiths Triumph) Triumph Daytona 675 35'24.378
23. David Linortner (Team Honda PTR) Honda CBR600RR 35'25.842
24. Fabio Menghi (VFT Racing) Yamaha YZF R6 35'28.574
25. Matt Davies (Team Honda PTR) Honda CBR600RR 35'42.039
26. Ivan Clementi (Team Goeleven) Kawasaki ZX-6R 35'42.307
27. Nacho Calero Perez (Honda PTR) Honda CBR600RR 35'42.407
28. Yves Polzer (Team MRC Austria) Honda CBR600RR 36'04.218
29. Alexey Ivanov (Kawasaki DMC-Lorenzini Team) Kawasaki ZX-6R 36'04.622
30. Mitchell Carr (AARK Racing) Honda CBR600RR 36'04.718
31. Eduard Blokhin (Rivamoto) Honda CBR600RR 36'13.187
RT. Massimo Roccoli (Team Pata by Martini) Yamaha YZF R6 31'08.877
RT. Riccardo Russo (Puccetti Racing Kawasaki) Kawasaki ZX-6R 22'42.771
RT. Raffaele De Rosa (Team Lorini) Honda CBR600RR 17'21.695
RT. Balazs Nemeth (Complus SMS Racing) Honda CBR600RR 11'40.852
RT. Alex Schacht (Racing Team Toth) Honda CBR600RR