Superpole was blessed with the promised good weather, allowing the riders to get on with pushing their machines down the multiple high-speed sections of the old Italian track. The qualifying tyres were pink-ringed for Mother's Day instead of having their usual yellow stripe.
In the first Superpole, Marco Melandri's BMW was held in the garage for almost the entirety of the session as they pulled it apart and fettled with settings while Sylvain Guintoli, Eugene Laverty and Tom Sykes claimed the top three spots. Guintoli's fastest time was 1'42.019. Melandri was able to get qualify for the second session, slower than his team mate Chaz Davies.
Twelve riders competed for nine places, with Loris Baz setting the target time for the Aprilias to beat which Eugene Laverty did twice, followed by Sylvain Guintoli, both keeping the spot warm for Tom Sykes who recorded a 1'41.685. At the flag, Jules Cluzel took an astounding second place.
Nine riders headed out for the last dash to determine the front three row grid positions, knowing they could get two good laps from each tyre. Eugene Laverty set the fastest lap ever recorded on a Superbike, only to have Tom Sykes take pole position off him seconds later with a 1'41.223. The factory Aprilias both went out at the end of the session with a fresh tyre to try to depose Sykes's top spot, but while Sylvain Guintoli was able to snatch third place off Jonathan Rea, Sykes retained his place and claimed another Tissot for the collection.
As expected, the front row comprised of Tom Sykes and the Aprilias of Eugene Laverty and Sylvain Guintoli, all of whom beat Max Biaggi's qualifying lap record, with Jonathan Rea and Marco Melandri right behind them.
Results after Superpole 3:
1. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'41.223
2. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'41.301
3. Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'41.542
4. Jonathan Rea (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 1'41.798
5. Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1'41.819
6. Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'41.926
7. Jules Cluzel (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'42.680
8. Leon Camier (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'42.808
9. Chaz Davies (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1'42.955
Did not qualify for Superpole 3:
10. Michel Fabrizio (Red Devils Roma) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'42.469
11. Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'42.726
12. Ayrton Badovini (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale R 1'43.801
Did not qualify for Superpole 2:
13. Max Neukirchner (MR-Racing) Ducati 1199 Panigale R 1'44.246
14. Fabrizio Lai (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'44.883
15. Federico Sandi (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'44.889
Did not qualify for Superpole:
16. Mark Aitchison (Team Effenbert Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 1'46.523
17. Kosuke Akiyoshi (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 1'46.631
18. Vittorio Iannuzzo (Grillini Dentalmatic SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1'46.827
Will not start:
19. Carlos Checa (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale R 1'44.763