A dry start to the day meant qualifying would have a more familiar look to it, in spite of the cold, and both Eugene Laverty and Tom Sykes were predictably fast early on, ahead of their French team mates Sylvain Guintoli and Loris Baz. Jonathan Rea, at his team's home track, along with Carlos Checa, also put in respectable times by the half way point.
As the minutes remaining became seconds remaining, Davide Giugliano stole top place from Tom Sykes, earning himself provisional pole on the Althea Aprilia. Loris Baz took the last provisional front row place while Jonathan Rea led the second row.
Rea holds the qualifying record from 2010 of 1'34.944 and race lap record of 1'36.312, neither of which would be beaten this morning, although Davide Giugliano and Tom Sykes would get close to the race time. Leon Camier, still suffering from his crash at Aragon, along with a technical issue, didn't qualify for Superpole. He will still race though, as his time yesterday was enough to keep him within the 107% required to get a grid place, if not in the top 16.
Assen - FIM Superbike World Championship - Qualifying 2
1. Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'36.814
2. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'36.883
3. Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'37.470
4. Jonathan Rea (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 1'37.559
5. Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'37.657
6. Carlos Checa (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale R 1'37.833
7. Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1'38.043
8. Chaz Davies (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1'38.150
9. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'38.167
10. Jules Cluzel (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'38.285
11. Michel Fabrizio (Red Devils Roma) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'38.362
12. Ayrton Badovini (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati 1199 Panigale R 1'38.433
13. Ivan Clementi (HTM Racing) BMW S1000 RR 1'38.841
14. Max Neukirchner (MR-Racing) Ducati 1199 Panigale R 1'39.102
15. Vittorio Iannuzzo (Grillini Dentalmatic SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1'39.971
16. Federico Sandi (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'40.534
Did not qualify for Superpole:
17. Mark Aitchison (Team Effenbert Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 1'41.408
18. Alexander Lundh (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'42.390
19. Leon Camier (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 2'01.728