2013 Aragon World Supersport Race Results: Innocuous Attrition Strikes
Eighteen laps at 22 degrees centigrade. Last year, Kenan Sofuoglu crossed the line first but was penalised a few places for headbutting Fabien Foret down the back straight, handing the win to Sam Lowes. All three of those characters will be starting from the front row.
What was scripted to be a Kenan Sofuoglu versus Sam Lowes race turned out to be something completely different. From the off, Sofuoglu and Fabien Foret led into turn one, but they both overcooked it, giving the lead to Lowes ahead of rookie Michael Van Der Mark. Sofuoglu recovered in fifth place and set about regaining his rightful place, right up to the point he ran off and retired from the race with a technical issue. Van Der Mark and Lowes swapped places for a few laps, fighting with Riccardo Russo and Kev Coghlan. Further back, Fabien Foret was setting fastest laps.
On the fifth lap, with Sam Lowes trying to make a gap ahead of an impressive Kev Coghlan, Fabien Foret closed into fourth place, carving his way through less experienced riders. As Foret took third place, Sam Lowes made a mistake at the end of the start finish straight but recovered three places back. Kev Coghlan led his first race but succumbed to the pressure and eventually crashed out, handing the lead to a surprised but fast Fabien Foret. Lowes took second place from Van Der Mark and set about closing the long gap to Foret.
As Lowes ticked off fastest lap after fastest lap, Foret started showing his habit of looking over his shoulder to see the Englishman closing. Michael Van Der Mark had to settle into a comfortable third place as the battle for first ran away from him. For the remaining five laps, after Lowes passed Foret, the two were inch-perfect, with Lowes stronger in the first half and Foret owning the second. As the laps ran down, both men knew it would come down to the last run down the long straight and the fiddly switchback section to the finish line.
Unfortunately, this was not to be and, starting the last lap, Fabien Foret nearly tagged the back wheel of Sam Lowes as it looked like the Englishman missed a gear on his Yamaha. It turned out that his gearbox was failing, slowing him down and dropping him through the pack until he just drifted off track.
Fabien Foret picked up the win, and the title lead, ahead of Michael Van Der Mark and Luca Scassa, while the remainder of the field suffered from intense attrition with thirteen DNFs.
Aragon - FIM Supersport World Championship - Race
1. Fabien Foret (MAHI Racing Team India) Kawasaki ZX-6R 37'10.286
2. Michael Vd Mark (Pata Honda World Supersport) Honda CBR600RR 37'16.881
3. Luca Scassa (Kawasaki Intermoto Ponyexpres) Kawasaki ZX-6R 37'20.195
4. Andrea Antonelli (Team Goeleven) Kawasaki ZX-6R 37'20.396
5. Riccardo Russo (Puccetti Racing Kawasaki) Kawasaki ZX-6R 37'22.236
6. Lorenzo Zanetti (Pata Honda World Supersport) Honda CBR600RR 37'22.944
7. Jack Kennedy (Rivamoto) Honda CBR600RR 37'26.391
8. Vladimir Leonov (Yakhnich Motorsport) Yamaha YZF R6 37'27.086
9. Roberto Rolfo (ParkinGo MV Agusta Corse) MV Agusta F3 675 37'36.320
10. Luca Marconi (PTR Honda) Honda CBR600RR 37'39.392
11. Alex Baldolini (Team Lorini) Honda CBR600RR 37'39.582
12. Massimo Roccoli (Team Pata by Martini) Yamaha YZF R6 37'39.622
13. Kev Coghlan (Kawasaki DMC-Lorenzini Team) Kawasaki ZX-6R 37'55.843
14. Fabio Menghi (VFT Racing) Yamaha YZF R6 37'57.938
15. Roberto Tamburini (Suriano Racing Team) Suzuki GSX-R600 38'06.234
16. Balazs Nemeth (Complus SMS Racing) Honda CBR600RR 38'06.589
17. Alex Schacht (Racing Team Toth) Honda CBR600RR 38'07.031
18. Matt Davies (Team Honda PTR) Honda CBR600RR 38'07.522
19. Yves Polzer (Team MRC Austria) Honda CBR600RR 38'50.405
20. Eduard Blokhin (Rivamoto) Honda CBR600RR 38'23.137
21. Mathew Scholtz (Suriano Racing Team) Suzuki GSX-R600 38'34.084
RT. Sam Lowes (Yakhnich Motorsport) Yamaha YZF R6 35'04.155
RT. Nacho Calero Perez (Honda PTR) Honda CBR600RR 36'02.165
RT. Florian Marino (Kawasaki Intermoto Ponyexpres) Kawasaki ZX-6R 33'16.193
RT. Raffaele De Rosa (Team Lorini) Honda CBR600RR 33'16.595
RT. Vladimir Ivanov (Kawasaki DMC-Lorenzini Team) Kawasaki ZX-6R 28'47.879
RT. David Linortner (Team Honda PTR) Honda CBR600RR 25'09.835
RT. Mitchell Carr (AARK Racing) Triumph 675 R 23'22.921
RT. Luca Salvadori (Team Pata by Martini) Yamaha YZF R6 11'01.858
RT. Christian Iddon (ParkinGo MV Agusta Corse) MV Agusta F3 675 11'44.904
RT. Kenan Sofuoglu (MAHI Racing Team India) Kawasaki ZX-6R 5'00.143
RT. Gabor Talmacsi (Prorace) Honda CBR600RR
RT. Sheridan Morais (PTR Honda) Honda CBR600RR
RT. Imre Toth (Racing Team Toth) Honda CBR600RR