Leon Camier was the first rider to get a lap under 1'31, even though his Suzuki was slower in a straight line than his team-mate's, but his top spot was toppled four minutes from the end by this weekend's fast man Michel Fabrizio on a privateer Aprilia.
Tom Sykes, a man who has been absent from the sharpest end thus far, made an appearance in provisional third place, showing that it'll take more than a fractured wrist to slow him down. The factory Aprilias of Eugene Laverty and Sylvain Guintoli were split by Marco Melandri, all three of whom were under 1'31 by the end of the session.
Two Australian wildcards, Jamie Stauffer and Glen Allerton, qualified in the top 16, which would have earnined them places in this afternoon's Superpole session last year, but with only 15 going through this year, due to the three bike wide grid, Allerton just misses out.
Ayrton Badovini was unable to start as his crash yesterday left him with a broken foot, ruling him out for the rest of the weekend.
1. Michel Fabrizio (Red Devils Roma) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'30.387
2. Leon Camier (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'30.727
3. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'30.740
4. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'30.826
5. Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1'30.931
6. Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'30.961
7. Leon Haslam (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 1'31.020
8. Carlos Checa (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati Panigale 1199 1'31.146
9. Jonathan Rea (Pata Honda World Superbike) Honda CBR1000RR 1'31.353
10. Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'31.470
11. Chaz Davies (BMW Motorrad GoldBet SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1'31.526
12. Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'31.537
13. Max Neukirchner (MR-Racing) Ducati Panigale 1199 1'31.871
14. Jamie Stauffer (Team Honda Racing) Honda CBR1000RR 1'31.874
15. Ivan Clementi (HTM Racing) BMW S1000 RR 1'31.963
16. Glen Allerton (Next Gen Motorsports) BMW S1000 RR 1'32.352
17. Jules Cluzel (Fixi Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'32.402
18. Alexander Lundh (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'32.487
19. Ayrton Badovini (Team Ducati Alstare) Ducati Panigale 1199 1'32.540
20. Federico Sandi (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'32.898
21. Vittorio Iannuzzo (Grillini Dentalmatic SBK) BMW S1000 RR 1'33.082