Round 14 - Gran Premio Octo di San Marino e della Riviera di Rimini Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncelli

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Fingernails

Round 14 - Gran Premio Octo di San Marino e della Riviera di Rimini Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncelli

Post by Fingernails »

Last year this was Bagnaia's best result - a second place in a very poor year indeed with his best other result being a sixth place. Coming a week after Bagnaia's first win, perhaps we will see him shine here.

Franky Morbidelli scored his only win last year at RSM, but clearly that will not be repeated. Quartararo finished eighth, so we could possibly maybe see the championship close up a bit. Mir was third last year, but has faded a bit.

I expect Marc Marquez to be a factor here. We shall see.

hdot

Re: Round 14 - Gran Premio Octo di San Marino e della Riviera di Rimini Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncelli

Post by hdot »

Clockwise track so I imagine Marquez won't do insanely well. Don't know his record here. This will be another test for his real status

No idea who is going to do well here but I love Misano. I can see Fabio cleaning up if he gets good tires, probably with the factory Ducatis finishing the podium. I hope Vinales can get into the points.

Mikesbytes

Re: Round 14 - Gran Premio Octo di San Marino e della Riviera di Rimini Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncelli

Post by Mikesbytes »

Last year 4th was Rossi's second best result of 2020 followed by the rot that lasted for the rest of the year with a best result of 12th, he did miss a race or 2 due to covid. I'm not anticipating another 4th out of Rossi but it might motivate him.

Bike wise the I4's took 5 of the top 6 places, only I4 of Quartararo's was missing, a DNF. Bagnaia's second shows that you can win in a V4
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

FP1 dry, wet at the end. It doesn't appear that anyone went for a time attack as they used the same tyres unless they did a lap in the wet at the end on wets. Vinales up the top of the times, which wasn't expected. Dovi at the bottom of the times, which was to be expected as he probably hasn't had a chance to ride the Yamaha prior to this session.

FP2 wet. What's the forecast for FP3?

CLX

Post by CLX »

No gonna lie, Moto GP's qualifying sessions have never been so boring. Watching riders wait for tows and then run around in conga lines has completely killed my enthusiasm for Q1 and Q2. Not to mention the cameras only follow MM (the worse offender), so of course I saw none of Bastianini's fast lap...

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

mastercraftx1

Post by mastercraftx1 »

Fingernails wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:42 am
Franky Morbidelli scored his only win last year at RSM, but clearly that will not be repeated. Quartararo finished eighth, so we could possibly maybe see the championship close up a bit. Mir was third last year, but has faded a bit.

I expect Marc Marquez to be a factor here. We shall see.
Franky had 3 wins last year. Definitely unlikely that he'll win this year. He set his best lap in FP4 on a 23-24 lap old tire. It was about a second slower than Fabio on a 16 lap tire. But Fabio's pace appears to be a step faster than everyone else. The way things look on paper Fabio will win if it stays dry. Who knows if it's wet.

But...
"That's why we line up on Sunday, you never know what's going to happen." - Nicky Hayden

In regards to Marquez being a factor, hopefully it's not by crashing and taking out someone else.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

CLX wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:32 pm
No gonna lie, Moto GP's qualifying sessions have never been so boring. Watching riders wait for tows and then run around in conga lines has completely killed my enthusiasm for Q1 and Q2. Not to mention the cameras only follow MM (the worse offender), so of course I saw none of Bastianini's fast lap...
I'd prefer to see single lap qualifying where you can't ride with another rider.

Bastianini is going great, perhaps it will help him get the second VR46 seat

mastercraftx1

Post by mastercraftx1 »

Bastianini is doing great, but it all but officially announced that Bezzeccchi is getting the other VR-46 seat.

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2021/09/ ... ogp/392556

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I am well behind on quali and other events up to now. How did Vinales get straight into Q1. Was that his dry lap from FP1?

Bagnai is my tip for this race - perhaps not an exactly adventurous prediction. If not, then barring falls he'll probably outscore Quarataro and close up the championship a bit. The question for me is whether he will close up 'enough'.

MM93 will make his presence felt, I'm sure. Question for me is if he will stay upright.

When I said before that Morbidelli wasn't going to be winning again here, I forgot that he was returning. Not keeping up with things.

On with the race. Rain will mix everything up. Maybe Binder will win again!

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

No rain, no challenge from Marc, and while I did pick Bagnaia for the win, Quartararo was *much* closer than I expected. So, I'm going to give myself 2/5 for predictions for this race.

Bastianini for me was rider of the race, despite Bagnaia's defence. Surely he is earning a place in MotoGP next year. Providing that it's not too late and that not all decisions have been made.

CLX

Post by CLX »

Awesome race.

Bagnaia seems the complete package, all he needs is to develop consistency (which he seems perfectly capable of doing) and Ducati will have finally found their guy. Speaking of Duc, surely they can't just let Bastianini walk.

And I'm happy for FQ. It ain't over til it over and today he was terrific. Champion ride there.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

I'm almost more impressed by Bastianini(sp? Sorry, on my phone). 3rd on a gp19?
Ok, it's not the rossi-wrecker, but still

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

All direct to Q1 result were from FP3, Vinales got there by being fast in FP3, so the weather change in FP1 and wet in FP2 didn't gift Vinales direct passage to Q1, he earnt it. Should be noted that he tested the Aprilia at the same circuit a couple of weeks earlier.

It's a shame that Bastianini doesn't have a ride next year, he has proven himself with the 3rd in this race and 6th in the previous on the 2019 bike in a low funded team.

mastercraftx1

Post by mastercraftx1 »

Bastianini and "Diggia" will be on the Gresini team riding Ducati in 2022. Don't think the level of bikes has been announced. But Bastianini is a Ducati contracted rider.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Thanks both.

Good news that Bastianini will be back. I hope he gets a good/current bike and can show what he can do over a season.

It's promising for Vinales that he got straight into Q2 on genuine pace then. Not so promising that within a few laps he was in 18th place in the race and then made slow progress to 13th aided by some retirements. This looks suspiciously familiar, and hopefully he'll get out of that pattern from next race.

Fabio Di Giantonnio going up to MotoGP was initially a surprise to me as while he has had a maiden win this year, he is not exactly at the top of the championship standings. But, he's a Gresini rider, a number of riders ahead of him in the championship are going up to MotoGP, and those that aren't are either a MotoGP rookie (Canet) or perhaps seen as fairly old to make the move (back) up (Lowes). Augusto Fernandez - what's happening with him?

Canet should have a good shot at the Moto2 title next year, which of course would be a big result for Boscoscuro (ex-Speed Up) and the first non-Kalex winner since when? ... checks ... Marc Marquez in 2012. Clearly I'm counting chickens way before they are hatched, but Canet has clearly been adapting to Moto2, I think there's a good chance of his first win this year, and it would be fascinating to see him back in the class next year.

Interesting to note that all of the Moto2 champions since 2011 (inclusive) have appeared in MotoGP this year with the exception of Tito Rabat.

Pedro Acosta seems to be determined to engineer a close finish from this year's Moto3 championship. I haven't seen the full race yet but from the short highlights I saw, he never really progressed from his 9th place qualifying, and finished 7th because after yo-yo-ing a bit he overtook two other riders on the last lap. I believe. Dennis Foggia has been dominating the season really since about race 6, with Foggia only having one points-scoring finish from the first five races. (Which is when Acosta built his margin.) If we had five more races with Acosta and Foggia scoring exactly as they did in the last five, then I think that Acosta wins the championship by a few points. However, Foggia is really catching up quickly. If we had five races with the same result as the last one, then Foggia wins the championship by a considerable margin. It's not over yet. Gardner seems to be managing the championship much better in Moto2 - while he's not winning so much anymore he's mostly there or thereabouts and his margin is being eaten into slowly - such that even with current performance his margin will survive.

WayneG

Post by WayneG »

Fingernails wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:46 pm
Interesting to note that all of the Moto2 champions since 2011 (inclusive) have appeared in MotoGP this year with the exception of Tito Rabat.
Tito raced for Pramac Ducati at Jerez and Le Mans as a replacement for the injured Jorge Martin. So it's a full house. :)
My first love was my motorbike, we went through everything together. Wind, rain, fences..

WayneG

Post by WayneG »

Fingernails wrote:
Pedro Acosta seems to be determined to engineer a close finish from this year's Moto3 championship. I haven't seen the full race yet but from the short highlights I saw, he never really progressed from his 9th place qualifying, and finished 7th because after yo-yo-ing a bit he overtook two other riders on the last lap. I believe.
What has come to light since the race is that Pedro had a faulty tyre/front wheel leaving him with greatly reduced braking. His team has posted on social media a photo of his boot with the sole completely worn through and a huge hole from dragging his foot on the ground to try and slow him down. Under those circumstances I think his 7th was a great effort and probably better than it should have been. Acosta is a future superstar in the making for mine.

Augusto Fernandez has signed with the Ayo KTM Moto 2 team for next year and will be Acosta's team mate, Another very strong lineup for Ayo next year.
My first love was my motorbike, we went through everything together. Wind, rain, fences..

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

WayneG wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:40 pm
Tito raced for Pramac Ducati at Jerez and Le Mans as a replacement for the injured Jorge Martin. So it's a full house. :)
And I will have seen him do that as I have seen every race this year. So, there once again is my memory utterly failing to function. Thank you for the correction.
WayneG wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:11 pm
Fingernails wrote:
Pedro Acosta seems to be determined to engineer a close finish from this year's Moto3 championship. I haven't seen the full race yet but from the short highlights I saw, he never really progressed from his 9th place qualifying, and finished 7th because after yo-yo-ing a bit he overtook two other riders on the last lap. I believe.
What has come to light since the race is that Pedro had a faulty tyre/front wheel leaving him with greatly reduced braking. His team has posted on social media a photo of his boot with the sole completely worn through and a huge hole from dragging his foot on the ground to try and slow him down. Under those circumstances I think his 7th was a great effort and probably better than it should have been. Acosta is a future superstar in the making for mine.

Augusto Fernandez has signed with the Ayo KTM Moto 2 team for next year and will be Acosta's team mate, Another very strong lineup for Ayo next year.
Thanks. In that situation finishing 7th could be seen as good damage limitation. However, Foggia has out-scored Acosta, on average, over the last seven races of the season. It's more than just one race. I think that Acosta definitely is a star for the future (see my avatar), but he is not yet a complete package, I think. Still much more to learn and some weaknesses to work on.

I must have read somewhere that Augusto was Ayo KTM bound. Yes, that's a very strong line-up and I fully expect them to win the teams championship. It'll be an interesting match of youth and experience in the team.