IoW road racing?

Talk about national motorcycle racing series: AMA, BSB, Australian or Japanese Superbikes, IDM, CIV, CEV, Irish Road Racing, TT, whatever takes your fancy.
bikermike

IoW road racing?

Post by bikermike »

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arti ... f-wight-tt

October seems brave, and I think 2021 may be a daft year to do it (tourism that year looks like it will be mostly people taking the postponed 2020 stuff - so the income they think they may be making will actually have already been received, so it could be a nasty combo of lots of obligations but no new money)

But they've got some good people involved, and fingers crossed for them

Schwantz34

Re: IoW road racing?

Post by Schwantz34 »

I'm quite often inclined to believe all these new races/ tracks are nothing but a fantasy. Like you say though there are some right high profile names involved which gives it a bit more credence. It is likely to be the arse end of October because BSB finishes generally just after mid month and Brands has been distinctly chilly the last few years. That said the climate on the south coast has the potential to be mild at this time of year too.

I'm not inclined to head over for the first one but maybe if it picks up I'll pay a visit, scenery looks stunning if Plater and Hillier were photographed on the actual coast road part of the course.

AntG23985

Post by AntG23985 »

Apparently the MP for the IOW is opposed to it because he has some fanciful nonsense in his head that it will encourage speeding. That sort of thing is one of the biggest obstacles to events like this starting up in this country, especially in areas where they've never had this sort of event. A few years ago in Lancashire I think it was there were plans to hold an outdoor motor show(so nothing risky or dangerous, just people looking at cars and bikes) but some campaign started to block the event because of the "it will encourage reckless driving" crowd got some momentum, disgustingly they even wheeled out some bereaved mother whose child had been hit and killed by a speeding driver in the area some years earlier and the event never ended up going ahead.

AntG23985

Post by AntG23985 »

Plater was also involved in the proposed Welsh event a couple of years ago, they had big plans and ideas, including a shiny website with branded merchandise and lots of high profile interviews with top road racers and that came to nothing because they couldn't get the permission to run it since most of the circuit was made up of roads which belonged to the MOD. Plus the proposed date happened to be on the same weekend as the Thruxton BSB round which would automatically have meant less entries than they'd thought and it was also on the weekend between the Armoy races and the Ulster which meant the participation of the Irish riders was unlikely as well.

I'd love to be proved wrong but I just feel it's not going to happen, I think too many people who haven't got a clue what they are talking about are going to halt the momentum before it passes the planning stage.

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

Indeed, I'll believe it when I see it, but if they can get it to run, I'll go.

The Welsh one got stuffed by devolution politics as I understand it.

I've been on that road (before they resurfaced it). It was beautiful, but misty and covered in debris, in mid-August. But yes, it is beautiful.