WSBK Testing started

Talk about the World Superbike series run by FGSport. Including World Superbikes, World Supersport, European Superstock, etc.
bikermike

WSBK Testing started

Post by bikermike »

https://motomatters.com/results/2019/01 ... lowes.html

Lowes up front, then Kawa Kawa Kawa Yam Yam

On the rule of thumb that nothing in testing means anything presumably we can therefore ignore Alex as a potential for the year...

Not ideal for Ducati to be shut that far out of the top is it?

bikermike

Re: WSBK Testing started

Post by bikermike »

Portimao now...
https://www.crash.net/wsbk/results/9122 ... ay-results

Rea still on top. But Lowes keeps second. Sykes moving on up. Not good for Ducati

Everyone testing two bikes - what is that about? presumably trying options?
Interesting that Lowes puts both bikes in the top ten, as does Haslam (who puts them next to each other). If he can avoid throwing it at the scenery, he might be an interesting break from the Kawa/Ducati show we were expecting...

WorldSBK

Post by WorldSBK »

Glad to see BMW team already pretty good!

When will the factory Honda team start testing ? Aren't they wasting precious time ?

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Baultista is setting the pace in PI testing. I've read that the rules state that they can change the rev limits during the year if they want and its currently;
BMW 14,900
Kawasaki 14,600
Ducati 16,350
If the Duc kills it I guess we will see its max RPM trimmed
My signature isn't particularly interesting

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

Lowes still up there in 2nd. A long way ahead of the rest of the Yams.

Also, Honda - they have a long way to go...

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Baultista killing it again this morning, 0.4 faster than the second rider, however Davies is way back in 12th. Top speed of the Ducati is quicker than the other bikes with the exception of Laverty who is noticeably slower. I'm assuming that Laverty is on the V4 so why is his top speed so much slower?

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

There's something on Crash.net about Laverty having a technical issue.

All the ducs are well down on the pace other than Bautista. If they are making the speed, the power is there. My guess is a handling/power-delivery issue - Bautista can ride round it, but the WSBK regulars can't

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

There's also the possibility that Baultista is very good at PI. He did come 4th at this years MotoGP on a bike he wasn't familiar with

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

and, as has been remarked on under the article, Phillip Island is an outlier track, put all those together and you explain the difference, perhaps.

...or Casey just snuck out in Bautista's leathers... :mrgreen:

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

First post season test has Rea at the top with Redding second. Bautista not present. What's meant by Ana not being able to ride Rea's bike due to the weather? The test could be a hint that Yamaha have lifted their game

https://motomatters.com/results/2019/11 ... s_rea.html

And which team is Toprak in?

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

Pata Yamaha alongside van der Mark

Vmax666

Post by Vmax666 »

Redding looking good on his first official test with electronics
Looking forward to the first test when all the bikes will be there
Rea will be hard to beat though

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

A bit hard to read into the testing due to the changing conditions but if we were to read into it, we see Rea, Razgatlioglu, Redding as the main contenders, then some more Yamaha riders and then the new Honda. There's a bit more development needed to the Honda before Haslam and Bautista are up there, which would be expected for a new bike. Having said that the Honda is looking like a better bike this season

Apical

Post by Apical »

Much as I like & respect Leon Haslam and rocket Ron Haslam. Leon could not do the job on the fully sorted Kawasaki last year. Riding for the best team with the biggest set-up in the WSBK paddock. I don't see Leon Haslam doing better on the all new blade. Honda haven't taken the superbike world championship seriously for some time. Honda dumped Tan Kate racing 12 months ago, for no good reason.
I would love to see Kawasaki, Japan's smallest motorcycle manufacturer, kicked Honda's assets all around the world and hand it to them at the end.

I'd rather see Jonathan Rea win everything & Honda not win any superbike races. Think there is a good chance we will.
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I've just looked at the testing results. Rea vs Razgatlioglu vs Redding would work for me. Haslam is ahead of Bautista by some margin when both are new to their bike, but they may have been testing different things. And, 'it's only testing'.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

I know you can't read too much into testing but look where Bautista is in this test, which doesn't have Kawasaki, that's 1.9 seconds behind his team mate, surely they must be testing different stuff. Does anyone know if Haslam was sent out to do a hot lap and Bautista wasn't?

https://motomatters.com/results/2020/01 ... onday.html

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Mikesbytes wrote:I know you can't read too much into testing but look where Bautista is in this test, which doesn't have Kawasaki, that's 1.9 seconds behind his team mate, surely they must be testing different stuff. Does anyone know if Haslam was sent out to do a hot lap and Bautista wasn't?
I did see some quotes from Bautista talking about the huge number of parts Honda had brought to test.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Rea fastest in the Phillip island tests. BMW, Yamaha, Honda, Ducati within 1/2 second of Rea but no Kawasaki with Rea's latest team mate 1 second down on him.

Looks like Redding is ready to race with Rea but not Bautista

BTW Ducati have dangled a MotoGP carrot in front of Redding, if he can win the championship

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

https://www.crash.net/wsbk/results/9365 ... -2-results
Just in case it hasn't been posted up the list.

Top three are interesting
Rea, back on top... yawn...
Sykes has suddenly brought it round. Have BMW finally borrowed some race engineers to make a fast engine (IIRC they were running an almost stock engine last year)?
Baz as top yam is interesting - are Pata no longer the "factory" yam team? is it just Ten Kate's nous? Baz's talent?
Also, interesting who isn't in there, no ducatis, and no second Kawa. (last year you'd pretty much expect the top three to be Rea followed by any combo you like of 2nd kawa and Bautista and Chaz.

I do hope the wildcard request by Kawasaki was because Rea is pushing for a proper go in MotoGP and is able to drag team Green with him. (not trying to start discussions of the practicality of the current rejected request here).

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:39 am

BTW Ducati have dangled a MotoGP carrot in front of Redding, if he can win the championship
Is that a prototype carrot, or a modified supermarket one? :mrgreen:

Apical

Re: WSBK really started

Post by Apical »

Wet fp1 this morning, dry fp2 this arvo.
The new blade is fast r r r r r!

Scott Redding adapting well and quickly. SR45 fast in mixed conditions & when it's fully dry.

Three Yamahas in the top 5. Loris Baz doing the business, not far behind Toprak and Magic Michael.

The weather is predicted to get better over the weekend.
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Does the fireblade have retractable winglets?
https://youtu.be/uwyx7068APY