New Zealand Superbikes, 600, Supertwins etc.

Talk about national motorcycle racing series: AMA, BSB, Australian or Japanese Superbikes, IDM, CIV, CEV, Irish Road Racing, TT, whatever takes your fancy.
Apical

New Zealand Superbikes, 600, Supertwins etc.

Post by Apical »

I was at Mike Pero motorsport park for round one of the NZSBK.
At Ruapuna just out of Christchurch on the south island.

Damon Rees won the only superbike race I saw.

Round 2 was last weekend. I missed that. More on round 1 later.
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

bikermike

Re: New Zealand Superbikes, 600, Supertwins etc.

Post by bikermike »

What is the last race of the year over there?
We are visiting south island over Easter, so I was wondering if there was anything going on. Road-racing for preference...

Apical

Post by Apical »

Happy new year Bikermike.
Don't know a lot Bikermike but I have these dates.

NZSBK Round 3; March 2-3 2019 Hampton Downs North Island
NZSBK Round 4; March 30-31, 2019 – Circuit Chris Amon, Manfeild. North Island
NZSBK Rd 5; April 6-7, 19 – Bruce McLaren Motorsport Park, Taupo. North Island

Easter Sunday, 21 April 2019

So not quite fitting with your plans. All the remaining rounds are on the North island and it's all over before Easter which is later this year.
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

Thanks!

drat, I think I'll miss them. I'll just have to make do with the scenery, the stream trains, the food, the wine...

hey ho!

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Ride a pushbike up the worlds steepest street in Dunedin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldwin_Street
My signature isn't particularly interesting

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Curious on how this rider gets on there. Making transition from dirt to road and getting some extra seat time in over the winter

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/mot ... -february/

Apical

Re: New Zealand Superbikes etc Wanganui

Post by Apical »

Happy new year.
Racing continues in NZ.
I escaped the smoke & flames in Australia by flying over to New Zealand.
Boxing day, 26th December I was in Wanganui for the street races around the Cemetery circuit.
It was a good day, nice weather, good crowd and plenty of entries in some classes.
Not a big field of superbikes.
Some international riders, Lee Johnson and Richard Cooper most notably.
Lachlan Epis was entered in the superbikes, but had a lot of his riding gear stolen & as far as I know didn't race.

https://cemeterycircuit.co.nz/suzuki-he ... -thriller/

I'll get back to you later

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

Mikesbytes wrote:Ride a pushbike up the worlds steepest street in Dunedin

I did that years ago, a street in Wales was confirmed at some point last year as steeper than Baldwin Street though

Apical

Post by Apical »

Schwantz34 wrote:
Mikesbytes wrote:Ride a pushbike up the worlds steepest street in Dunedin

I did that years ago, a street in Wales was confirmed at some point last year as steeper than Baldwin Street though
Apparently there is still some argument regarding how steep each street is. A Kiwi told me the Welsh street has a steeper section, but overall the NZ street is steeper from bottom to top.
I went up in a taxi last year. Don't care one way or another. But I'd like to ride down the NZ street on a bike.
Should have the chance to ride it on a motorcycle in a few weeks time.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

It was literally hell on the way up and fast as he'll on the way back down, I reckon my wee pedal bike reached about 60mph! !!!

Apical

Post by Apical »

Cheers Schwantz 34, two wheels good.

NZ SBK championship round 1 at Ruapuna just out of Christchurch, starting tomorrow Friday the 10th. Or maybe it doesn't start until Saturday? After another look it may only be two days, Sat & Sunday.
Ah ha Friday looks like an open practice day, then NZSBK starts officially on Saturday morning.

The weather is good and forecast to be dry for the weekend. Fine, cloudy but no rain predicted.
I hope they are correct.
Fingers crossed no oil slick this time.
Quite a few classes racing. Should be a good meeting.

Any motomatters people going?

Apical

Post by Apical »

Interesting article from roadracing world.
With all the different classes in action for the NZ nationals.

https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/ne ... g-weekend/

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Apical wrote:Interesting article from roadracing world.
With all the different classes in action for the NZ nationals.

https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/ne ... g-weekend/
No round near Auckland, I was wondering if Pukekohe raceway had gone, but a quick search showed it was still there and does motorbike racing https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pukekohe ... 2496208853

Apical

Post by Apical »

G'day from Ruapuna.
Plenty of action today at round 1 of the New Zealand national series.

Race one of the superbikes Damon Rees made a good start and was leading. Made a mistake, didn't see it, was back to last on the second lap. Alastair Hoogenboezem took over the lead with Damon's brother Mitch Rees in hot pursuit. The ten laps went very quickly with Mitch chasing A.H. and getting very close at times. While Damon set a new lap record on his Honda chasing & passing most of the field of 11 or so.
Mitch Rees seemed to put his Honda in a good position to attack for the lead in the last two laps.
Accelerating out of the Euromarque hairpin Mitch had a big moment then crashed out of second a few hundred metres further on.
Meanwhile brother Damon had scythed his way through the field to catch a group of four riders with 2 laps left Damon had seventh looking like he wanted a podium.
D.R. got past two riders on the ninth lap of ten. 5th with a lap or so, forth when Mitch crashed.
Alastair Hoogenboezem won.
Half way through the last lap Damon took third place & held onto it until the finish. A very popular podium with the crowd.

We saw eight races today (Saturday 11th January) 16 tomorrow.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

I had to look up Ruapuna :oops: From this video it looks like an OK track but the guy didn't have his camera in the best location https://youtu.be/vhBvKnNfqRc

Keep the reports coming Aipcal

Apical

Post by Apical »

Kenup283 Jamie Astudillo done good.
Looks like she rode a Ducati 750 at Pukekoe last year.
Did four races in 4 different disciplines at the Burt Munro challenge. This is the last event I'm attending during my current trip before going home to Oz.
Found a bit of information on her Fakebook page. OMG I've gone over to the dark side.
She raced a Ducati Santamonica 750 in the classic or historic race(s) and at Teretonga circuit, part of the Burt Munro festival.
Did hillclimb, beach, road & street racing on KTM 450s.
Sounds like she rode well & enjoyed the trip.
Seems Jamie has relatives in New Zealand.

Apical

Post by Apical »

Yes Mikesbytes, Mike Pero motorsports park at Ruapuna is an OK track. Laid out on a big flat area of the Canterbury plain. Some fast corners, challenging complexes. One long straight, two good straights.

Superbikes Qualifying; Pole position Damon Rees, 2nd Alastair Hoogenboezem, 3rd Lachlan Episode, 4th Mitch Rees. D & M Rees are brothers, sons of Tony Rees, NZ legend and multiple champion.

Race 1 see above for my amateur report.
Results First Alastair Hoogenboezem 2nd Jake Lewis 3rd Damon Rees 4th Sloan Frost 5th Scott Moir 6th Daniel Mettam, Lachlan Epis finished 10th.

Apical

Post by Apical »

NZSBK round 1 Race2
Epis got a good start, most of the 11 bikes fairly close. Mitch Rees had an off on the fast left over the back of the circuit, once called Potholes, now named ICOM corner or turn two. A short while later one of the riders further back ran off on the outside of the final corner, the Rock. Rider got up OK , moved his bike and lent it up against the tyre wall. Shortly afterwards I noticed smoke rising, then saw the bike was on fire. This brought out the red flags. I'm assuming it was Sloan Frost but didn't actually recognise him or the number on the bike.

Race two restart.
Damon Rees won the start, Lachlan Epis 2nd, Alastair Hoogenboezem third. A fast train of superbikes putting in quick laps. About half way through the 15 laps Alastair Hoogenboezem took second from Lachlan Epis. From this point in the race Epis seemed to be the cork in the bottle, with the riders behind trying to find a way past. Epis seems to get good starts and was faster in the early stages of the races than the latter stages.
Race 2 results; Winner Damon Rees, 2nd Alastair Hoogenboezem, 3rd Jake Lewis, 4th Scott Moir, 5th Lachlan Epis, 6th Daniel Mettam, 7th James Hoogenboezem, 8th Ryan Yanko, 9th Mark McGregor.
Mitch Rees didn't make the restart.

Ninth place finisher Mark McGregor, sponsored by Addicted to Track. I wondered about Mark M.
It wasn't until after racing was finished that I bumped into Michelle his wife that I realized we had shared a table in the hospitality at Phillip island MotoGp.
Addicted to Track is their company.
Hoping to catch up with them at round 2 of the NZ national titles, Levels circuit just out of Timaru. This weekend the 18th & 19th January
Last edited by Apical on Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Excellent writeup Apical, is it possible that it was Mitchell Rees bike that went up in flames? I'm wondering how many of the riders had 2 bikes? Did you get to see the pits? BTY Sloan was NZSBK champion in 2016.

Damon Rees has competed in the ASBK championship

Apical

Post by Apical »

Thanks Mikesbytes.
Definitely not Mitch Rees bike that burnt.
Mitch & Damon are riding Hondas. The only red bikes in the NZSBK field, easily identifiable. Mitch's bike took a big tumble through the dusty outfield. Mitch got up took a quick look at the bike and walked away. Two or three minutes later the red flags were out, old mates' bike burning near me at the opposite end of the circuit.. I thought it may have been a Suzuki, but not one of the all blue Ecstar Suzi's.
I did get to have a good sticky beak in the pits. Wandered around freely. Got to say hello to the Rees brothers. Took some pix with the reigning 600 supersport champion Avalon Biddle. Saw another 600 SS racer Rogan Chandler, who was at a track day I rode at Fielding a week before. Didn't get to talk to Rogan last Sunday.
Yes Sloan Frost is another champion.

Apical

Post by Apical »

Yes I think some do have spare bikes.
It was Sloan Frost's Suzuki that burnt.
Burnt worse than an Australian world heritage area.
Melted wiring loom, the ECU was just a blob, petrol tank melted adding fuel to the fire! Sloan Frost didn't appear in the results of race 3. Disappointing after his 5th in race 1.

Race 3 of round 1, Ruapuna. 20 laps
Lachlan Epis won the start, Alastair Hoogenboezem 2nd Jake Lewis 3rd then Scott Moir, Damon Rees.
Damon Rees worked his way forward, after 12 or so laps Damon took second place. A few more fast laps Damon took the lead from Jake Lewis. By the end of lap 16 Epis was third.

Results of race 3
Damon Rees, Alastair Hoogenboezem, Lachlan Epis, Jake Lewis, Scott Moir, Daniel Mettam, Mitch Rees, James Hoogenboezem, Ryan Yanko, Mark McGregor 10th.

NZSBK championship points after round one
Damon Rees 67 points
Alastair Hoogenboezem 65
Jake Lewis 49
Scott Moir 35
Lachlan Epis 33
Daniel Mettam 30
James Hoogenboezem 26

Round two starts today. Weather predicted to be fine 20° Celsius some clouds but no rain.

Apical

Post by Apical »

Another day, another six races.
Sunny & warm again, got to at least 20°C. Felt hotter in the sunshine.
Ran through the program with no major dramas.
I missed some of the action due to spannering in the pits for a couple of hours.

NZSBK race one of round two. On pole was Lachlan Epis that one extra point will be handy.
Epis won the start and led for eight & a half laps of the 10 lap race. Damon Rees kept chasing, getting very close at times. Damon passed Epis into the bus stop chicane at the end of the second last lap and took the victory.
Alastair Hoogenboezem had followed closely until settling for third on the last lap.
4th Scott Moir, 5th Mitch Rees, 6th Daniel Mettam, 7th Jake Lewis, 8 Sloan Frost, 9th James Hoogenboezem, tenth Mark McGregor. Ryan Yanko did not finish.

Championship points after race one Saturday 18th January 2020. By my rough calculations
Damon Rees leads on 92 points.
Alastair Hoogenboezem 81
Jake Lewis 58
Lachlan Epis up to fourth 54 points
Scott Moir 48
Daniel Mettam last years champion 40
James Hoogenboezem 33
Aussie Mark McGregor 26
Mitch Rees at least 20
Sloan Frost 18.
Ryan Yanko at least 18 points.

Apical

Re: New Zealand Supersport 600

Post by Apical »

Race one round two 600 supersport
The Timaru international circuit is narrow.
Richie Dibben grabbed pole position
Early in the race there was a coming together.
Rogan Chandler was lining up a pass, those two got involved with another rider as Avalon Biddle went for an outside pass. Bump, shuffle, contact between avgas & Rogan, Avalon Biddle went wide and crashed.
Chandler got a tyre mark on his leathers & continued in 4th.A few laps later Rogan Chandler was back up to see.
Chandler caught Ashley Hughes then made good speed out of the third corner onto the long straight. Chandler took 3rd place on the brakes at the end of the straight.

Results 600 race one round two
Richie Dibben won
Dale Finch 2nd
Rogan Chandler 3rd
Last edited by Apical on Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Apical

Re: New Zealand Superbikes

Post by Apical »

NZSBK race 2 round 2
Lachlan Epis won the start, again. Damon Rees 2nd, Alastair Hoogenboezem third.
Things settled down soon after a hectic first corner, first complex of three. Eight or nine laps of the first three stretching a gap over the next gang of four. Damon Rees keeping the pressure on until...
The Suzuki of Lachlan Epis jumped out of gear accelerating off turn 3 onto the long straight.
Damon Rees had great drive & passed Epis in the wink of an eye!
Six laps to go in the 15 lapper.
Damon showed just how big the challenge is to reduce his lead in this championship. In one lap Damon built a lead of about 1 second, two laps after the pass it was two seconds. With 3 laps to go Mark McGregor looked like getting lapped. The 4 leaders passed Mark McGregor with two laps to go. Those changes to the set- up of his R1 didn't work, lost rear grip & went slower than yesterday
Damon Rees won again, Lachlan Epis second,

Apical

Re: New Zealand Superbikes

Post by Apical »

Superbike Race 3 round 2 NZ national titles
Copy & paste previous post.
Lachlan Epis won the start, Damon Rees 2nd, Alastair Hoogenboezem third, Mitch Rees 4th.
Seemed as if the front group had thought about strategy for this 15 lap race. Not quite so fast in the early laps, not so flat out & may the devil take the hindmost.
With four laps to go a small gap developed between Damon in 3rd & his brother Mitch in 4th. Scott Moir saw this sign and pounced, moving up to fourth.
Two laps left, Epis, Alastair Hoogenboezem, Damon Rees pushing hard, got ahead of Hoogy. Then at the end of the straight on the last lap Damon Rees overtook Lachlan Epis for the lead.
Damon Rees won, the classiest rider in the field this weekend, leading the championship, taking home the silverware and a few plastic trophies.

NZSBK championship points after round two.

Damon Rees leads on 142 points
Alastair Hoogenboezem 107
Lachlan Epis up to third on 94
Jake Lewis 78
Scott Moir 74
Daniel Mettam 57
Sloan Frost 47
James Hoogenboezem 47
Mitch Rees 39
Mark McGregor 36
Ryan Yanko 35
Last edited by Apical on Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.