Petronas

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Schwantz34

Petronas

Post by Schwantz34 »

Probably because I'm Scottish, but did anyone else think the Petronas choice to take J McPhee's crew chief and give him to Jake Dixon was a bit Aprilia-esque?

I heard Neil Hodgson say rumours suggest that Petronas are so desperate to get Dixon a decent result to justify putting him on Rossi's bike when the great man steps down. Beggars belief if you ask me!!

MiniNinjaMk5

Re: Petronas

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Yes the world feed guys were saying the same thing. Apparently two guys in the running for the GP bike are Toprak from WSBK and Jake Dixon. Dorna really want a Brit in MotoGP and it sounds like the personnel move in Petronas is an attempt to kick-start his season, because without a few good results that move would be hard to justify.
I do like Jake and think he is a top talent but he has had a difficult year and hasn't had much luck. He's already got a long lap penalty for next race which will ruin Assen too. I would have liked someone to take a punt on Chaz Davies or someone from WSBK who is on better form at the moment? (I say this as I know the Rea or Redding move won't happen).

Johann Stigefelt was trying to be diplomatic when he was interviewed by Simon Crafar. Basically said they were resolving a problem within the team of resources. But, I think from McPhee's reaction (which comes on top of the team reneging on giving him a Moto2 ride this year) it doesn't look very pretty.

Right now I'm just hoping McPhee can get some solid podiums or even a win or two over the rest of the year, just to put him in the shop window for any Moto2 rides. But I would be very surprised if it is with Petronas.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

McPhee has shown he is capable at Grand Prix level, winning races and frequently near the front. One of his flaws I feel is that he's almost too soft for the madness of Moto3. He often gets bullied towards the back of the front group and ends up getting caught up in someone elses incident, I feel if he fought harder to stay near the front it would prevent this kind of thing.

The whole need a Brit in Moto GP is embarassing if that Brit is Jake Dixon for the Petronas seat. I'm not saying never but as it stands just now he hasn't justified it.
Surely the only Brits that deserve a Moto GP seat right now would be Sam Lowes or even more so Jonny Rea.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

I agree, McPhee has shown he can race at the front of a grand prix and win. He's had a few unforced errors this year but you would like to think that most teams could see the potential there. I think it's probably a bit of a toxic atmosphere now in his pit too which won't be helping, he could do with getting out of there.

Of the Brits..
Rea: Would need a full factory seat to prise him out of his lucrative and successful WSBK contract. Possibly too old as the factories are just looking for the next Wunderkind. Might not even want to go now?
Redding & Sam Lowes: Remember Jules Ryder saying once, you very, very rarely get given a second chance in GP once you have left. As successful as either is in their current class I can't see any factory team taking a punt with them, and they will have fresh memories of poor support in privateer teams with no desire to repeat that experience.
Alex Lowes: I'm not sure, his bro will probably have warned him off taking a seat at Aprilia though if it were offered! Problem also that he gets beaten every weekend by his teammate.

That leaves:
Dixon: Was successful (albeit inconsistent) in BSB. I still think he has a lot of potential and is very talented. But next year could possibly be a year too soon. If Dorna want him in GPs, help him keep a seat in Moto2 to prove what he has got in 2022 with no injuries. He is still easily young enough and could then make the move on merit.

Outside world championship racing I would like to see Rory Skinner and Kyle Ryde step up to international-level racing. Definitely think both have got a lot of potential, but I know quite often you need more than that.. (the finances and support etc.)

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

I read that Dixon is likely to have a go on the M1 at Aragon, think I said it elsewhere but I think he did a solid job last weekend despite my comments above.

Allegedly his teammate Vierge turned the chance down because the B spec bike isn't competitive and he has no chance of a full time ride on it anyway. I take that with a pinch of salt, what rider would turn down a Moto GP chance at their home race when they aren't in their own championship battle?
Again it must come down to having the right passport which is pretty shameful.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

And John McPhee now confirmed as riding the Moto 2 bike at Aragon, well deserved after being treated like sh!t on a few occasions by the team