Barwa Grand Prix of Qatar - Round 1

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
kenup283

Barwa Grand Prix of Qatar - Round 1

Post by kenup283 »

Ready to go racing and feels like we start right where left off. A toss up of contenders.

A feeling of urgency of a still somewhat uncertain schedule and latest news of Marq, we get to pick up where left off.

So who’s it going to be

Mikesbytes

Re: Barwa Grand Prix of Qatar - Round 1

Post by Mikesbytes »

As last year didn't have the MotoGP class, I've looked at the 2019 results and there's Ducati, Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha all under 1 second behind the winner who was Dovi. Crutchlow was in there too so we can't discount Honda based on M Marquez not being there. Testing as usual hasn't given us a lot of insight either and I've not heard of any particular rider having issues.

So its guess time and I'm going to guess Miller
My signature isn't particularly interesting

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Cheers for starting this thread Kenup

Wow it's a really hard one to pick isn't it even with the test here.

Will agree with Mike and say a Ducati probably Miller. They look like they've been doing a lot of work on aero and with the engine freeze that might be even more telling at a high-speed track. Or maybe even Zarco? :)

I'm not sure how well Yamaha will go, they are very strong over a lap but we might have low grip and if it's a battle they always suffer more. So not sure how much we can go on their strength in testing there.

Suzuki are the wildcard for me. They were testing the 2022 chassis (and engine?) which smacks of confidence. Simon Patterson was saying that Frankie Carchedi was confident about the possibility of a win last year for the race that didn't take place! They haven't been up the sharp end of testing but we know they suffer on the single lap speed and may be sand-bagging..

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Qualifying should see the inlines do well. Race they will need to make a clean get away but I can see them getting stuffed and not able to break away.

The long front straight will get them reeled in but rest of track is flowing. Lorenzo used to put on a clinic here year after year for being quickest lap time with slowest top speed and still winning the race, but he’d take off like a scolded cat and be on the pace from turn two onwards.

The variability in tire drop off has precluded that lately but has now swung back. So it could be year to see Qatar rebirthed in blue. Which shade I’m thinking might be aqua with a tinge of yellow. It’s a good chance if there was to be one and race craft could come into play. After all this use to be what we called a Yamaha track :).

For ducati, I like Miller and Zarco here. Have seen good from both of them in past at this track and they both had a way of making the Ducati quicker thru the flowing parts of track than other Ducati riders in past when I’ve looked at sectors break downs.

I have an eye on Aprilla too, they might not be that far off of AE keeps it together. They could be close enough to get good mention. Not really sure what to say about KTM. They really gave us a mix bag in testing here. Seems they are just going to look to keep things clean and get off to a good start and learn more for round 2, before heading to Portugal.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Go Ducati, 3 of the top 4 slots in FP2. Martin has done well to be only 0.6 off his experienced team mate

roogazza

Post by roogazza »

Go Rossi !
The old boy might surprise ???? if not Yamaha for the win.. :mrgreen:

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Wouldn't surprise me if Rossi has a go at it! They have been talking about very strong winds tomorrow which will play against the Ducatis and might help Yamaha. Vinales saying they have been going well on slippery tracks as well which has always been their bugbear.

As for Aprilia, I will believe when I've seen it I'm afraid. We have heard this too many times before. I still remember Aleix gunning for pole on the Forward Racing Yamaha (when that bike should have been no-where near the front of the grid), so we don't know its the bike rather than him making the difference. I will be extremely surprised if that is anywhere near top 6 on Sunday.

roogazza

Post by roogazza »

A poofteenth off the front row......Mmmmmmm Go Vale.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Vale is definelty in striking distance.

Noticing with Ducati, just about all their riders, have crashed loosing the front applying throttle mid corner pick up point. It looks like rear overpowering a light front as get on the gas.

First was Miller, and Zarco dropping it at turn 4 in early FP sessions. (same corner btw where Stoner lost front back in 2010 all those years ago while leading the race by decent margin). Those two seemed to have changed their approach from pushing in the flowing bits to going after the speed parts already. We also saw Martin loose front in similar way at end Q1.

Me thinks this problem not going away for them, and going to struggle at many tracks with. It will also impacts confidence factor during race. Unless tire degradation holds back the pace Ducati riders wont be as comfy pushing the pace as others.

Either way we're about to find out.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Interesting race. I was expecting a Ducati vs Yamaha battle but not Suzuki to be in the podium mix. Vinales had done some runs on worn tyres and perhaps this contributed to that brilliant ride. Miller appeared to have cooked his tyres again. What happened to Rossi? More so what happened to Morbidelli?

Great ride by some of the rookies

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Morbidelli - apparently his ride-height device (that lowers the rear of the bike as a launch control) was stuck on for the whole race, he couldn't turn the bike. Amazed he was only 1 sec down a lap with that problem and surprised he didn't pull in!
Rossi - I saw him get punted wide by Binder early on but not sure of what else?

What an absolutely fantastic race, eventful from start to finish. Someone needs to bottle whatever Vinales was on that race and feed it back to him, when he in that kind of form he is unstoppable. The Dukes didn't have it all their own way did they, Simon Crafar thought it might have been the very strong head-wind didn't help with their fuel economy and they couldn't go flat out the whole race. You actually appreciate what Dovi used to do now in slowing the pace for most of the race and then turning up the wick at the end. Great ride by all of the top guys though, feel a bit sorry for Mir as just that one mistake he couldn't get away with (loved Zarco grinning and saying he got the 2nd place because of his engine).

Apical

Post by Apical »

roogazza wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:32 am
Go Rossi !
The old boy might surprise ???? if not Yamaha for the win.. :mrgreen:
Excellent prediction Roogazza, yes Yamaha wins again.

V.R.46 was duffed up by a KTM. Brad Binder I think, pushed Rossi wide. once the door was opened 5 bikes went through. Kinda ruined Rossi's race.
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

roogazza

Post by roogazza »

Haven't seen the race yet bud,but good the Yam won. :mrgreen: