KTM in 2021

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Fingernails

KTM in 2021

Post by Fingernails »

Will KTM be allowed to introduce a new engine in 2021 and have other advantages against the other factories minus Aprilia?

I seem to recall reading/discussing that, but I don't know if things have changed. Or maybe that wasn't right in the first place.

Mikesbytes

Re: KTM in 2021

Post by Mikesbytes »

I believe they have lost their concessions
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:31 pm
I believe they have lost their concessions
They have lost their concessions in general, but I thought that the ability to bring a new engine next year wasn't affected.

E.g. see discussion here: MotoGP teams wary of KTM building “super engine” for 2021 season and here. https://www.crash.net/motogp/feature/94 ... until-2021

The latter link says that since KTM haste work on reliability, there is unlikely to be a surge in performance.

Comment on the Crash article.
Most inportantly it will allow KTM to open their engines and study the wear paterns during the season - race by race if they want . Bet Yamaha wish they could do that ...

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Isn't there an entire engine freeze ruling for 2021, for all of the manufacturers?

A concession to costs and other problems caused by Covid I thought (and partly why Yamaha were potentially in such a pickle)

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:39 pm
Isn't there an entire engine freeze ruling for 2021, for all of the manufacturers?

A concession to costs and other problems caused by Covid I thought (and partly why Yamaha were potentially in such a pickle)
Only for the teams that didn't enter 2020 with concessions, I believe. The articles I found say that. So, Aprilia and KTM are able to develop their engine for 2021. Teams aren't worried about Aprilia as they are a fair way behind. But, KTM are there or thereabouts, and being able to develop more than other teams could put them ahead.

Apical

Post by Apical »

Interesting interview with Wolfgang Felber of KTM's MotoGp team. He talks about the steel frame. 3D printing elements of the chassis that are welded together.

Amongst some other information.

https://blog.ktm.com/one-step-beyond-me ... togp-grid/

I expect KTM to have a very competitive engine and overall package in 2021.

Aprilia SHOULD have a better engine than last year's. We'll see.
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Apical wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:40 pm
Interesting interview with Wolfgang Felber of KTM's MotoGp team. He talks about the steel frame. 3D printing elements of the chassis that are welded together.

Amongst some other information.

https://blog.ktm.com/one-step-beyond-me ... togp-grid/
Thanks for that article. I like the behind the scenes character pieces, especially when speaks about practicalities and advantages of going their own way. Agree about Portimaiou last corner. Watching their bike through their in Oliveras hands in a two wheel drift at 200kph and 60deg lean is all confidence and was great sight to see.