WSBK in 2020

Talk about the World Superbike series run by FGSport. Including World Superbikes, World Supersport, European Superstock, etc.
Mikesbytes

Re: WSBK in 2020

Post by Mikesbytes »

Fingernails wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:58 am
Mikesbytes wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:46 am
Yes he did however over 2019 and 2020 he's rarely beaten his team mate so if Ducati wants a rider then he's the weaker link. If such a change did happen then Chas would be snapped up by another team
They seem to be having better luck taking people with a MotoGP background than promoting within WSBK. I wonder if it's possible that Dovi ends up in WSBK. Though, the relationship may be too broken. What about Rabat?
I suspect that it may be that the Ducati V4 is effectively a road going version of the MotoGP bike so from a rider perspective is somewhere perhaps half way between the other superbikes and a MotoGP bike in rideability, in particular the frame. Haven't seen any articles on this, would be interesting to hear an expert opinion
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I've just (finally) seen Round 7.

It was good to see Scott managing to hang on by a thread, and win the last race. But, it still is hanging on by a thread. When it gets to the point where the 'excitement' is about 2nd place staying in mathematical contention, then we can start polishing the silverware.

In hindsight Redding has done well for a rookie who didn't know some of the tracks. I just hope that he comes back next year with a competitive bike and can make an even better stab at the championship.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Sounds like Chaz Davies is out at Ducati to be replaced by Rinaldi. Chaz has definitely struggled since the V4 Panigale came in but thought he had shown some more promise of late (even if it has lacked consistency).

Chaz was joking on social media if Dovi wanted his motoX track looking after next year. There was talk of him going to Honda but it sounds now like Haslam has signed up again, so no seat there unless something happens to Bautista?

Apparently Chaz gave a talk to the team in Italian (this is so unusual amongst native English-speaking riders) which was well received and doesn't sound like there is any hard feelings. He's a really sharp guy and I think still a very talented rider so will be a shame if he can't get a ride in a good time.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Not that I wish for Alex Lowes to lose his seat, but wouldn't it be interesting if Davies ended up at Kawasaki partnering Rea?

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Fingernails wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:12 pm
Not that I wish for Alex Lowes to lose his seat, but wouldn't it be interesting if Davies ended up at Kawasaki partnering Rea?
I think Lowes is doing OK on the Kawa but of course we don't know what the management of the teams is thinking and additionally there's tighter budgets coming into play
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

I feel like Rea at Kawasaki in WSB is almost like Marquez at Honda in Moto GP, ie he gets a big say in who his teamate is. I wouldn't think he would have Davies because Redding aside Chaz is the only other rider that might put a decent title challenge up. The rest are just too inconsistent

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Schwantz34 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:38 pm
I feel like Rea at Kawasaki in WSB is almost like Marquez at Honda in Moto GP, ie he gets a big say in who his teamate is. I wouldn't think he would have Davies because Redding aside Chaz is the only other rider that might put a decent title challenge up. The rest are just too inconsistent
Yes. I wasn't saying that this would happen. Just that it would be interesting if it did.

Vmax666

Post by Vmax666 »

Rea has proved he is a great rider and with a new Kawasaki next year could be on for a 7th
I would love to see the new m1000rr from bmw being far more competitive so it keeps them in the championship for years to come.

As for Davies I think it’s time for a change in the championship line up with more young talent given a chance
Same with Sykes and Laverty.
Yamaha seem the only manufacturer willing to risk giving new riders a chance with well supported satellite teams as well as factory team

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I've now seen the final weekend. Rea's championship hasn't really been in doubt for a long time. Scott tried this year, but Rea had too much of an advantage over the year. It'll be interesting to see if he can up a level with experience.

The win and a Ducati 1-2 was a great way for Davies to end his time at Ducati.

Toprak was the star of the weekend though. I'd been a bit disappointed with his form this year as I expected it to be a bit more like ... this weekend. Again, we see what he brings next year.

Surely someone will give Chaz Davies a seat?

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Once again you have to hand it to Ducati for their crap people management. "Thanks a lot, we have loved having you here, but BTW you're out of a job almost at the end of the season so good luck finding another ride". I think it actually says a lot about his self control that he hasn't given that treatment the comments it deserves (.. hopefully that might help him find another ride, think it helps a lot to not ' do a Krummenacher'!)

I've been keeping a close eye on the news but nothing substantial as yet. Seems nuts that someone who has (really) been the only rider to get close to Rea over the past years, and thrashes the rest of the field in his final race, might be out of work.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

Feel sorry for Chaz too but I think his exceptionally poor start to the season was the final nail in the coffin. A lack of consistency ( relative to Rea) consistently put other nails in beforehand

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Yes I think you are right. He really struggled as well getting on with the V4 I think, although obviously had sorted something out towards the end as his results were getting better.

It's just a shame for him Ducati didn't let him know their plans a bit earlier in the year when there were still seats available. Apparently he thought the plan was for Rinaldi to stay on the Barny Ducati (with factory support) and then it was changed at the last moment.

Really bike racing needs some kind of transfer window/period. It would stop the stupidly early decisions (which then turn out to be a mistake, when they're based on 1 result and then it turns out things go down hill) and also stop situations like with Chaz where he ends up potentially facing an end to his career because of the whims of Ducati at the 11th hour.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

You would think Ducati could have given the loyal servant from Wales the courtesy of letting him know their thoughts if it was an early decision.

I feel like Chaz's turnaround in form came just after Ducati had made their minds up. Unfortunately for him Rinaldi had gone very well up until that point. Bad timing I suppose.

At least Chaz can vent to his mate CS27 who will lend a sympathetic ear.