WSBK in 2020

Talk about the World Superbike series run by FGSport. Including World Superbikes, World Supersport, European Superstock, etc.
Fingernails

Re: WSBK in 2020

Post by Fingernails »

bikermike wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:18 am
a MotoGP-like superbike could be a real sweet-spot for Redding, who was good, but too big, on a MotoGP bike.

I wonder how Kawasaki will play out, if Rea shows weakness, will Alex Lowes try to get past him?

Has Chaz done enough to keep himself on a ride for next year?
He certainly adapted to the bike well in BSB. This year he will know the bike better (I guess the BSB and WSBK versions aren't THAT different) and will know a higher proportion of the tracks compared to BSB. Redding looked very confident from the start in Race 2 in particular. Though, given Chas Davies' results, and Rinaldi in Race 2, it appears that the Ducati may suit Jerez.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

It looked to me that Davies has closed the gap a bit, either that or as good as Redding is, he's not doing as well as Bautista in the first half of last year. I'll vote that Davies is doing a little better.

WSBK is on again this weekend, same weekend as MotoGP
My signature isn't particularly interesting

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

It's a Yam 1-2 in FP in each. I wonder if we'll have a double-header winner? someone could have a very good Sunday. Ducati and Yamaha would be most likely

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

bikermike wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:44 pm
It's a Yam 1-2 in FP in each. I wonder if we'll have a double-header winner? someone could have a very good Sunday. Ducati and Yamaha would be most likely
While I could very easily be wrong, I think it'll come down to Rea versus Redding this year. Fast Yamahas could be very interesting if they get between these two increasing the points differences.

If Razgatlioglu doesn't win a race this year, I'll be very surprised.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

I know the focus is Rea v Redding for the title this year but although he has ground to make up I feel like Toprak could be an outside shot. The way that guy rides a bike is awesome, love it. My first hero was Schwantz, my second Haga and I don't have a third yet!!!!

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

If we knew what was going to happen, then it would be boring!

Apical

Re: WSBK Champ 2020

Post by Apical »

The three Rs; Rea, Redding & Razgatlioglu. All 3 could take the chip in 2020.
Three different bikes, 3 riding styles, all very good on their day.
Will be interesting to see how the chip develops over a few more different circuits.
I think the BMW will be closer to the front by the end of the season.

As long as we get good good racing I don't really care who wins. A change from JR 1 winning every title would be appreciated by me at least.
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

I'm assuming that Redding cooked his tyres in race 1

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Well.. you are reminded why Rea has won so many WCs!

Redding still performing extremely well IMO. Actually doing better comparatively in WSBK than he was in BSB last year at this point, although I guess he has more track knowledge.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Redding certainly improved over the three races. Or at least, for the last one. If he has too many bogey tracks like this it will be a hard ask for him to beat Rea.

Apical

Post by Apical »

That was a good race. Not as intense as some I've seen, but well worth watching.

Apparently Honda recently did quite a bit of testing at Aragon. 8 days says Steve English. Working on speed down that long final straight. That worked, they were just as fast as the Ducatis on the straight. Didn't turn out so well in the results. Alvaro was a bit up & down in the first third of the race. Then had good lap times before he crashed at about half race distance.

Bad luck BMW, another crash for Tom Sykes. Eugene Laverty had a crash on the sighting lap. Got it to the grid & started the race only to cop a penalty while running 15th (1 point). This was due to Laverty's mechanics working on the bike after the 3 minute board went up. Didn't know that rule.

Highside crashes are back! Scary one for Alex Lowes. A.L.22 seemed to get on the gas early in the corner, Big big slide, outside foot off the peg, then boom! Bike and rider in the middle of the track with 15 or more bikes coming through. No problems this time, very lucky for Lowes & the other riders.

Championship; Redding back in the lead, JR, Toprak 3rd. Both factory bikes from Ducati, Kawasaki & Yamaha in the top six. Thinking Scott Redding and Jonathan Rea will be the two fighting for the championship. Who will win? Don't want to guess at this stage, but I wouldn't bet against JR1. As a Ducati nut I'd love to see Scott take the title, we'll see.
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Lowes was lucky not to get hit

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Yep that was another close the eyes moment!

Rea and Redding really starting to stretch the championship lead now, doesn't look like anyone can match their consistency. Redding clearly had problems in the 2nd race on Sunday trying to stop the bike but still managed to get a fairly good result which is always a sign that someone will be a strong WC contender.

Frightening how much speed Yamaha are losing on the straight, I know that isn't everything but I wonder if Toprak is regretting that move.

Honda are definitely getting there, although their results still have a way to go to match the BSB guys. I honestly think at this point they need a Jonny Rea, Redding or even a fast guy that is coming out of GPs to take them to consistent race win challenger status.

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

Interesting how Redding seems to either win, or come some way down the order. I think it may well come down to second places this year. Ditto for the manufacturer's crown, the #2 rider in each team will matter.

Yamaha seem to be down on power everywhere - Given this all stems back to the R1, trying to think if they've ever been ahead on power stakes. Smaller, sharper, nimbler yes, but have they gone too far down that route and sacrificed too much for power in the inherent shape etc of the engine?

BMW don't seem to be either too bothered where they are, or coming up with much. Hopefully they have a rocketship waiting in the wings, not losing interest.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Redding did come second in the sprint race. Rea has been dominating the sprint races, so that second place looked quite promising. Until I then watched race 2.

I wonder how 'rookie' Redding is. For BSB, he hadn't ridden superbikes much (at all?) before, and many of the tracks were new. In WSBK, he's had a year's experience on superbikes, but I don't know how much of his experience with the bike in BSB is transferrable to WSBK. Also, I'm not sure how many of the WSBK tracks he has considerable experience of. This year he's likely to know more of the tracks. (I haven't checked his history and schedules of different series to check.)

Depending on how much Redding is learning this year, he may take a step forward next year. And given that he's competitive with Rea this year, that could be promising.

It depends on how the balance between the Kwacka and the Duke changes from this year to next, as well.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

I think Redding's experience in Moto GP is what really helped him make the step from BSB to WSB, I say that because BSB run almost zero electronics. It makes BSB a very very close championship with exciting close racing, but will hamper most of the younger crop looking to make that step.

I went to an evening with Shane Byrne and asked his thoughts on this very subject. He said to me that his opinion is this is a ploy by the organisers of BSB to keep the top British riders in the series as well as keeping the racing close. In fact earlier in the night he referred to the championship as the British Superbike Dictatorship!!!! :o
I really admire Shakey as a pundit on Eurosport for BSB, always speaks his mind with an honest opinion rather than some who just want to be friends with everyone and say what they think others want to hear. I'd still rather Shakey was racing though.

Sorry digressed from the topic a bit :oops:

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Congratulations to Rinaldi

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Aye that was a great ride for Rinaldi, he really took a step up that weekend.

Do we know if the Barni racing team is getting any help from Ducati Corse?
Schwantz34 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:15 am
I think Redding's experience in Moto GP is what really helped him make the step from BSB to WSB, I say that because BSB run almost zero electronics. It makes BSB a very very close championship with exciting close racing, but will hamper most of the younger crop looking to make that step.

I went to an evening with Shane Byrne and asked his thoughts on this very subject. He said to me that his opinion is this is a ploy by the organisers of BSB to keep the top British riders in the series as well as keeping the racing close. In fact earlier in the night he referred to the championship as the British Superbike Dictatorship!!!! :o
I really admire Shakey as a pundit on Eurosport for BSB, always speaks his mind with an honest opinion rather than some who just want to be friends with everyone and say what they think others want to hear. I'd still rather Shakey was racing though.

Sorry digressed from the topic a bit :oops:
I think Shakey himself wishes he was racing. But after that crash he had last year, I wonder if he has to think of wife/kids etc and having a life beyond BSB racing. I don't know if it's that or physical injuries still stopping him now?

I did wonder if he would go into team management or something similar. Quite often riders as competitive as Shakey, who still have the fire burning, go in that direction as a way of channelling that competitive energy.

I saw he has got a biography out now so think that will definitely be worth a read.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

Definitely, he doesn't shy away from the truth so I think I'll be asking Santa for it!!!!

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

It's a pity that Redding is slipping back. It looks like it will be Rea slowing building a lead in the championship and then an easy win. (Even if individual races are more of a challenge.)

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I've caught up on the races, but see that this thread has not been active.

With Redding doing poorly and Razgatlioglu out, it's turning into another very easy championship for Rea.

Good to see Davies winning again. I wonder if seeing interesting people winning (such as Rimini) is going to be the most notable thing we see for the rest of the year.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Stick Rinaldi in the Ducati factory team with Redding

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:34 am
Am I behind on my races? Didn't Chas just win one?

I hope that Rinaldi is getting full factory support though. How does it work in WSBK compared to MotoGP?

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Fingernails wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:07 pm
Mikesbytes wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:34 am
Am I behind on my races? Didn't Chas just win one?

I hope that Rinaldi is getting full factory support though. How does it work in WSBK compared to MotoGP?
Yes he did however over 2019 and 2020 he's rarely beaten his team mate so if Ducati wants a rider then he's the weaker link. If such a change did happen then Chas would be snapped up by another team

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:46 am
Yes he did however over 2019 and 2020 he's rarely beaten his team mate so if Ducati wants a rider then he's the weaker link. If such a change did happen then Chas would be snapped up by another team
They seem to be having better luck taking people with a MotoGP background than promoting within WSBK. I wonder if it's possible that Dovi ends up in WSBK. Though, the relationship may be too broken. What about Rabat?