Forum bugs and fixes.

Suggestions and comments you have for the forum
Post Reply
fezzick
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 7:47 am
Location: Wollongong, NSW, Australia

Forum bugs and fixes.

Post by fezzick »

Don't want to hijack things but maybe this thread can be used to highlight things that need fixing/improving?

On that subject, the "smilies" don't seem to work for me. Or, is it just me?

User avatar
Kropotkin
Site Admin
Posts: 3160
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:44 pm
Location: Dieren, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Forum bugs and fixes.

Post by Kropotkin »

Good idea.
fezzick wrote: On that subject, the "smilies" don't seem to work for me. Or, is it just me?
They work just fine for me:

:? 8-) :x :oops: :shock: :o :( :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek: :arrow: :evil:

And other people have used them generously, so it looks like it's a problem at your end. You can enter they by hand of course. Most of them start with a colon : and then something such as ) or lol follows it.
--
http://www.motomatters.com/ - MotoGP News, Analysis and Race Reports

fezzick
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 7:47 am
Location: Wollongong, NSW, Australia

Re: Forum bugs and fixes.

Post by fezzick »

Thanks. I'll work on it. Smilies seem to work on other forums (fora???)

I get THIS message when I try to use them

Not Found
The requested URL /forum/:lol: was not found on this server.

User avatar
Kropotkin
Site Admin
Posts: 3160
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:44 pm
Location: Dieren, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Forum bugs and fixes.

Post by Kropotkin »

I'll check out what seems to be happening.
--
http://www.motomatters.com/ - MotoGP News, Analysis and Race Reports

fezzick
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 7:47 am
Location: Wollongong, NSW, Australia

Re: Forum bugs and fixes.

Post by fezzick »

Ta.

User avatar
ales17
Posts: 469
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 1:12 pm
Location: Slovenia

Re: Forum bugs and fixes.

Post by ales17 »

I have a suggestion ... could you fix the forum that when you click to the thread that you already read and now has some new posts that when you click it puts you to the start of new post in that "old" thread! For me it would be much easier to find where I left thread! :mrgreen:
"You can teach a crasher to stop crashing but not a slow rider to be fast".

User avatar
RatsMC
Posts: 5730
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Oakland

Re: Forum bugs and fixes.

Post by RatsMC »

This may be a me problem and not with the forums themselves but I haven't been able to resolve it on my own.

For some reason, the pages are not updating when I move between them. If I don't delete my Internet files, the pages remain the same as they were early last week.

Fortunately, since the forums now have their own URL, I can force a refresh (ctrl F5) but prior to that change, forcing a refresh got me the main blog page.

All my settings seem to be right and I am not having this poblem with any other website.

User avatar
Kropotkin
Site Admin
Posts: 3160
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:44 pm
Location: Dieren, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Forum bugs and fixes.

Post by Kropotkin »

RatsMC wrote:This may be a me problem and not with the forums themselves but I haven't been able to resolve it on my own.

For some reason, the pages are not updating when I move between them. If I don't delete my Internet files, the pages remain the same as they were early last week.

Fortunately, since the forums now have their own URL, I can force a refresh (ctrl F5) but prior to that change, forcing a refresh got me the main blog page.

All my settings seem to be right and I am not having this poblem with any other website.
Interesting. There are a few things you could try:

1. If you read a topic, don't use the Back button to go back to the index, but click on either the forum index, or the board index links at the top of the page. That way you should be shown the latest page instead of an old copy.

2. If you're using Internet Explorer change your temporary file settings to "Every visit to the page", found under Tools->Internet Options -> Temporary Internet files -> Settings.
--
http://www.motomatters.com/ - MotoGP News, Analysis and Race Reports

User avatar
jokeman
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 8:34 am

Re: Forum bugs and fixes.

Post by jokeman »

ales17 wrote:I have a suggestion ... could you fix the forum that when you click to the thread that you already read and now has some new posts that when you click it puts you to the start of new post in that "old" thread! For me it would be much easier to find where I left thread! :mrgreen:
I agree. Going to the last read thread automatically would be great. It's really hard and time consuming finding where the unread threads begin, especially in multi paged topics.

User avatar
Gustav O
Posts: 2437
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:41 pm
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Forum bugs and fixes.

Post by Gustav O »

But you already have that option, going directly to the last read post I mean.
Under board index you have the view new posts tag that gives you a list of all threads with new posts.
Every thread has a small read icon to the left of it that when clicked sends you to the last read post. Or am I missing something? :?:

Only thing is I woudl liek to have access to the "view new posts" tag all the time so that you don´t need to go back to the forum index all the time.

User avatar
ales17
Posts: 469
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 1:12 pm
Location: Slovenia

Re: Forum bugs and fixes.

Post by ales17 »

You are right ... I just never know that! :oops: Thanks for that info! 8-)
"You can teach a crasher to stop crashing but not a slow rider to be fast".

User avatar
RatsMC
Posts: 5730
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Oakland

Re: Forum bugs and fixes.

Post by RatsMC »

Kropotkin wrote:
Interesting. There are a few things you could try:

1. If you read a topic, don't use the Back button to go back to the index, but click on either the forum index, or the board index links at the top of the page. That way you should be shown the latest page instead of an old copy.

2. If you're using Internet Explorer change your temporary file settings to "Every visit to the page", found under Tools->Internet Options -> Temporary Internet files -> Settings.


I completely missed your reply. My apologies.

Unfortunately, I have checked and tried your suggestion (failed to mention that in my post) and am still experiencing the same issue. This is the only site where I have this problem and I didn't have it before you seperated the main site and the forum. This is also now happening on the main page as well.

I have just gotten used to forcing a refresh (ctrl+F5) every time I change pages but it is still annoying.


Am I the only one experiencing this?

phil

Re: Forum bugs and fixes.

Post by phil »

Dr Krop or MR rusty,
i'm having an issue with PM's sometimes of late i have difficulty opening them.
today i had one from ratsmc which i could open and one from your good self rusty which i couldnt.

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Can't create/write to file '/var/tmp/#sql_59a9_1.MYD' (Errcode: 17) [1]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
Please notify the board administrator or webmaster: admin@motogpmatters.com


now i cant open the one from rats either, or send PM's.

thanks guys.

phil.

User avatar
Kropotkin
Site Admin
Posts: 3160
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:44 pm
Location: Dieren, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Forum bugs and fixes.

Post by Kropotkin »

I'm aware of the problem, and have opened an issue with the hosting company. I think it's a problem with the database configuration, so it should be easy to fix, but it's not something I can fix, they have to do it for me.

The problem also seems to be intermittent, so it's worth persevering, and trying several times.
--
http://www.motomatters.com/ - MotoGP News, Analysis and Race Reports

phil

Re: Forum bugs and fixes.

Post by phil »

thanks krop,
and yes it does seem to be an intermitent problem.
any chance of spell check?
cheers,
phil.

User avatar
RatsMC
Posts: 5730
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Oakland

Re: Forum bugs and fixes.

Post by RatsMC »

Phil, in trying to reply to you I found that hitting refresh a few times will usually get you through. Just remember to copy anything you type so that you don't lose it.

phil

Re: Forum bugs and fixes.

Post by phil »

should anyone else have a problem with PM's as rats says hitting the refresh icon a few times does the job!
nice 1 rats thanks.

User avatar
RatsMC
Posts: 5730
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Oakland

Re: Forum bugs and fixes.

Post by RatsMC »

No problem. Always standing by to offer incredibly obvious advice ;)

User avatar
jupiejupe
Posts: 341
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 4:02 am
Location: bay area
Contact:

Re: Forum bugs and fixes.

Post by jupiejupe »

RatsMC wrote:No problem. Always standing by to offer incredibly obvious advice ;)
He said obvious

a reform is a correction of abuse's, a revolution is a change in power. -bulwer-lytton

"the soul belongs to God, but the body belong to us"-rasputin

if we had eggs, we could have ham and eggs, ...if we have ham. - jordan sheline

Post Reply