Fires in OZ

Suggestions and comments you have for the forum
8 dirt

Fires in OZ

Post by 8 dirt »

Dear new friends in/from Australia,
I've been feeling worse and worse all week sorry for The Land Down Under in drought and fire. I'm guessing that a dry eucalyptus becomes a tourch with not much spark. Now it's more sickening to hear that arson is suspected for some of the burning. Capital crime.
I grew up in California and fire is a yearly danger. When I was 8 yo wildfire burned up to three sides of our home in the LA area. We later moved to the Northern Sierras near Motomania and every summer dry lightning starts huge fires in the mountains.
I have a firm grasp on how destructive and life changing these events are. I wonder if our bud RatsMC was in his home town of Oakland when the beautiful hills of the eastern city went up. Horror.
I bet I can speak for all of Kropotkins' kids in saying we are sorry for the current situation and hope none of our members or their families have suffered loss. Best wishes for a safe 2009. 8 d.

OZintheDesert

Re: Fires in OZ

Post by OZintheDesert »

8-d thanks for your wishes mate.
While I am not in Australia at the minute (back end of next week) my family has been affected by these fires with one of my cousins loosing their house in Gippsland. The fires came within 5 miles of our house and it turns out the guy who lit it was "burning off" which is a yearly occurence where we are to remove scrub like bracken and blackberry from our paddocks. I am glad the cops have been able to deal with him. It now appears that many or even the majority of fires are not deliberately lit though, and like yourselves it is a yearly occurence that rarely takes many lives. Unfortunately these are the natural catastrophe's we can only plan for but not cure.
Cheers again
I love riding. But not in Libya.

RatsMC

Post by RatsMC »

Thanks for bringing this up 8dirt.

I had been hearing about the fires but working for an insurance company in California, am familiar with the impact. What I didn't realize was how many people have been killed. I was stunned when I heard as an impact such as that is felt much deeper and further than just property damage.

I hope everyone in this community is okay and my thoughts are with everyone affected.

OZintheDesert

Post by OZintheDesert »

Hey guys, especially those in Victoria or who ride regularly through it. I was just thinking about how these fires have impacted us as motorcyclists. This is not meant to take away anything that the direct victims have lost, however it makes me feel a touch of sadness for example that the place I used to stop at frequently on my rides through the Yarra Valley area and Black Spur, Marysville, has been all but obliterated. We as motorcyclists used that area for recreational rides every weekend, rain hail (not so much) or shine and the cafes and friendly faces we were so used to seeing may not actually be there any more. The same for Kinglake and whittlesea, all great rides through some spectacular terrain. I won't be able to help but feel; a sense of sorrow whenever I go back there to enjoy its charms.
I am hoping the MRA take some time in the next few months to organise a ride through these towns and allow us to giveback to the locals what we have been collecting from them over the many years - a smile

8 dirt

Post by 8 dirt »

Right OZinOZ.
The Sierra Nevadas have large burned out areas on most of the east-west highways,,,,hwy70, 20, Interstate80, Hwy50, 88, but still many spectacular places to see. But it's rare here now to have the bad loss of life like you just had there. So too bad. Thanks for commenting. Ride on. 8 d.

OZintheDesert

Post by OZintheDesert »

Hey man, my last post on this topic was slightly OT as I thank you for your concern. My hope was also to generate some thought about the people of Marysville and other areas that we Victorians ride through every weekend and the scenes we took for granted. Sure there have been fires in the past and will be in the future. Much of this natural bushland depends on fires for its survival. Bui the loss of life and community was what I am mourning in my last post. I hope sincerley that we, as riders, can show some appreciation and give back to those communities more than just some funding in the near future.
ride on. and cheers 8-d. we know ya care

Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Oz, was wondering how your family fared as soon as i heard about the fire near Wilson's Promontory. I'm a NSW RFS volunteer (most people out in the 'bush' are volunteer firies on the basis that we try to help each other out, one bloke can't fight a fire..) and the 200/01 NSW fires came to within 100 metres of our place but they were nothing like as ferocious. A busy 10 days for us, though, and several Gippsland units ended up in our village helping us - we were super-glad.

Some guy doing 'hazard reduction' during the proscribed fire season? Un-farging-believable except we get several call-outs a year on average for the same reason. Really annoying was the fact that the last biggish fire near here was started by some brain-dead wannabe MX-rider with no can on his bike riding trail in dense bush on a 36C, 15% humidity day.

Your MRA run idea is a good one - with the exception of the Vic. mobile Gestapo, riders generally get a happy reception in Vic country towns nowadays and if the timing is right i.e. not so soon as they could be seen as 'gawpers', I'll bet the re-emerging businesses would be happy with the trade. Maybe in early Spring, pick a few towns, get everybody to take a few bushes to plant to help people re-building to get some colour back in their yards etc. and liaise with the local council..
Road rash is nature's way of telling you you should have widened your entry

Kropotkin
Site Admin

Post by Kropotkin »

Oscar wrote: Your MRA run idea is a good one - with the exception of the Vic. mobile Gestapo, riders generally get a happy reception in Vic country towns nowadays and if the timing is right i.e. not so soon as they could be seen as 'gawpers', I'll bet the re-emerging businesses would be happy with the trade. Maybe in early Spring, pick a few towns, get everybody to take a few bushes to plant to help people re-building to get some colour back in their yards etc. and liaise with the local council..
This is a great idea, and now is the time to start planning this. I would wait 3 months or so before going back, give the locals a chance to get their businesses up and running again, then plan a route which takes in several stops along the way. Get in touch with the MRAA or a similar organization to help plan this, and I'd be willing to give it some free publicity before it takes part, and I'd e-mail Bob over at MotoGPOD to promote the idea too. I tip my hat to you for such a great idea.

And my thoughts go out to everyone affected, here's hoping the worst has come and gone, and no more lives are lost.
--
http://www.motomatters.com/ - MotoGP News, Analysis and Race Reports

OZintheDesert

Post by OZintheDesert »

http://www.mravic.org.au/forum/modules/ ... oryid=1395

looks like the mraa have cottoned onto this idea before me.. I tip my hat to em. They are planning a ride in approximately 6 weeks time as a short term fund raiser. They are also looking at a longer term plan for the area.

Just been doing some more diggin in their forums and it seems as they are having a ride starting in ferntreegully on april5 for anyone who is interested. I will be out of OZ by that time unfortunately but I will make an effort to donate some blood and some old clothes when I get back next week.
Event Info Host: Phil Cassap, Cameron Frewer, Richard Ashlin, Tamara Richardson, MRA

Type: Causes - Fundraiser
Network: Global
Time and Place Date: Sunday, April 5, 2009
Time: 9:00am - 5:00pm
Street: tba
City/Town: Ferntree Gully, Australia
View MapGoogleMapQuestMicrosoftYahoo
Contact Info Phone: 0397533595
Email: tamtiga@yahoo.com.au

DescriptionBike Rally to be held to raise money for the red cross and cfa...

to assist in rebuilding the lives of people affected by the detestation of the Fires throughout Victoria.

Bike rally to head up to Healseville, through Marysville.

A chance for all the Motorcycle riders who enjoy this area so much to give back to the people that need it the most!

Donations of Money, clothing, food and household items for those that are in desperate need.
It also appears that one of the MRA fraternity died in St Andrews from the fires. My thoughts are with his family.

As for my family, the fires at woorrara east in south gippsland cam wiht about 5 miles of our property. Nothing serious and this one was the one reffrered to above. My cousins at Won Wron we are still waiting on the status of their house and property as I have not been told of anything just yet. My uncle in churchill (near Morwell) was the site of one of the biggest fires in the area i believe it brushed part of his property but am awaiting confirmation.

My brother has been re-called in active service (he is a reservist in the army) and has been sent to Whittlesea for clean up, road works, and fire breaking works.

I will try and do a personal ride and get some photos up in march for everyone. Bundle it up in my trip report.

cheers

motomania

Post by motomania »

I've got friends in Fawkner. which is on the northern edge of the Melbourne suburbs. My friend Cam has told me of the devastation that has occurred there and of all the riding areas affected, While we've never met in person, only through an online motorcycle list, I feel like I've known him and his Missus, Vicky, forever. She and I share the fact that we both love to work corners at the racetrack. Cam offered up his PayPal email to send donations to and he'd forward them to the Red Cross down there. I've made a donation and hope to be able to do a bit more in future.

As 8dirt mentioned, the area of the Northern Sierras where I grew up and spent my first 20+ years is known for it's wildfires. In fact, in the last two years, the valley where I lived has been ravaged by fire on both the north and the west sides. The first year it burned over 100 square miles and then last year about another 80 square miles. However, most of this area is desolate & unpopulated so the loss of life was very few. I've asked Cam if I could post his PayPal online to see if others would like to donate or if someone could post link for the Red Cross there, I'm sure others would like to donate to the fire victims. Cam is involved with the SES there and has kept those of us on MotoList aware of how things are down under.

I hope they catch and BBQ those responsible for the arson that has occurred, they deserve no less, IMO. My thoughts and prayers are with all that have been affected by this huge tragedy.
"I gave up mind reading, I found I didn't have the required equipment." - Me

motomania

Post by motomania »

Ok, I've made a donation through PayPal to Cam to the Red Cross and he sent me this link for the Red Cross in Australia. You can make sure that your donation goes to the fire victims by specifying : Victorian Bushfire Appeal 2009

I realize these are hard times and it's not easy to donate, but if everyone can give a small amount then those that have suffered devastating losses can start to rebuild their lives and homes.
"I gave up mind reading, I found I didn't have the required equipment." - Me

Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Ongoing news: there is a bad flare-up of the fire near Wilsons Promontory, much too close to Oz's home patch for comfort - I'm sure I speak for all the Motogpmatters community in hoping it all turns out ok.

Meantime, there's extensive serious flooding throughout quite a lot of the Queensland coastal region and now down into NSW, only about 600 - 800 k from the fires...

There's absolutely nothing to laugh about, it's all bloody grim, but Aussies are known for having a somewhat dry - some might say slightly twisted - sense of humour, so I'm betting even Oz won't mind me suggesting that the reason why Aussie riders are so fast in the wet is because that's the way you have to ride to avoid being roasted...

Oz, if you can get on-line, I hope you and all of yours are ok and the CFA can knock the fire down before the weather turns nasty again. Thoughts are with you, mate.
Road rash is nature's way of telling you you should have widened your entry

OZintheDesert

Post by OZintheDesert »

Thanks Oscar. The prom fires are a regular occurence and because of the nature of the prom (being virtually an "island"), fires don't leave it so that one will be ok. Its the woorrara east fire that worried me and I think that one is under control. The rest of the bad ones are further northa dn with the regular southerlies we should be spared any further issues (all going well)

Faster1

Post by Faster1 »

OZ and all Aussies,,

Residing in southern California, I, both feel your pain and understand your plight. As “8 Dirt” , I also know, all too well the reality of an out-of–control fire. On 2 separate occasions, I have had to evacuate my family from my home because of out of control fires. Someone above was always watching, spared us, and allowed us to return home. Every year we are reminded of how evil people can be to intentionally start these things. Their day of judgment will come. I am thankful that I share a common interest in a sport that allows us all a small escape from the (sometimes) harsh realities of life. Thanks “Krop” for the platform. ,,, Thoughts and prayers,,,

The glass is half FULL.

2 cents brought to you by the letter "Q"

Lifelong Yamaha Racing fan, but currently riding a Duc,,,, don't tell anyone 8-)

let's talk WSBK

Richo

Post by Richo »

Had some pictures sent to me from one of my mates in Melbourne who went for a ride out throught the bushfire affected areas on Friday (27th). All of this area is normally green and lush. Pretty graphic evidence.

Kinglake Hiedleberg Rd Heading Down

Just out of Kinglake on the Heidleberg Road

There a couple of more images at http://motogptipping.com/gallery/?level=album&id=21