Yet Another Thankyou

Suggestions and comments you have for the forum
DJH

Yet Another Thankyou

Post by DJH »

Hi Krop,

Just a quick one to heap the praise on your work here, and also to thank Scott for the quality photography.

I don't want this thread to just be some carebear wankery, instead I just want to give you an idea of how far reaching your site can really go at times.

After completing the 40hr round trip down to PI last year, I had 48hrs spare after getting home and unpacking my things.. to repack them and ship off to Afghanistan. My tour was for a fair while and the internet connection I had access to was pretty shitful. Streaming anything was virtually impossible to the point of me loading up NBA game highlights (that stream for only two mins) sometimes over two days or so, and even then if we lost a troop or anything requiring a complete end to outwards communication until their next of kin had been informed, my two day adventure to watch one two minute highlight reel of ONE game, would often go to shit because they would cut the connection.

Whilst fancy flash and javascript certainly have their place in modern day web surfing, the reality is that I needed a quick-fire-no-bullshit source of quality reading to get my MotoGP fix, and not only did I always have an appreciation of your work - this site, as most people know, has a quality membership base who can just pump out highly technical opinion pieces whenever a topic of their interest pops up. Where I was at the time it was easy to feel like I was the only bloke on the planet interested in something as 'out there' as motorcycle racing. Thankfully though, and through your website alone I was able to maintain some level of contact with like minded souls.

Reading your regular updates, especially over a very active (and musical chairesque) offseason really made a big difference to my time over there. Just having the ability to switch off and really lose myself in a topic that I am passionate about really did alot for my mindset and I genuinely appreciate the work you guys do to keep it going, and keeping it fresh. That also extends to the members.

Hopefully some of the longer term members understand that low post counts and recent join dates don't neccesarily mean trouble, or crash.net style rubbish. I think you will find alot of users can be intimidated by the level of knowledge within these walls, and whilst I have lurked for well over a year - I've only recently found my voice and felt like I had something to add.

Please keep up the good work mate. It's a unique place to be, and your brand is strong.

You'll have no problems maintaining a high level of support.

Cheers

Damo/DJH

Gustav O

Re: Yet Another Thankyou

Post by Gustav O »

I agree. Best place for info on World class level racing.

Kropotkin
Site Admin

Post by Kropotkin »

Thank you for your kind words. I started the site (and continue to work on it) because it is what fascinates me and I enjoy it, and it is deeply rewarding to hear such high praise from the readers.

And you're right, it's not about post count, it's about the quality of your contributions. Thanks for understanding that, and contributing.
--
http://www.motomatters.com/ - MotoGP News, Analysis and Race Reports

Albert

Post by Albert »

DJH wrote: Hopefully some of the longer term members understand that low post counts and recent join dates don't neccesarily mean trouble, or crash.net style rubbish. I think you will find alot of users can be intimidated by the level of knowledge within these walls, and whilst I have lurked for well over a year - I've only recently found my voice and felt like I had something to add.
Meant to reply to this sooner -- but life got in the way! (as well as a terrible memory!) :oops:

On a personal level I have found that some of our newer members have as much to add (and sometimes more!) as those of us who have been here for some time!
We don't all agree on the same things (it'd be boring if we did!) but we usually manage to keep the animosity on the backburner!

Post counts don't matter one jot when the subject is close to the poster's heart and a passion is shared!

The knowledge and level of discussion within this site is second to no other that I have come across -- as is some of the friendships that I've made with other site members -----

----- regardless of whichever rider they support!

DJH --I hope that your post will entice other "lurkers" to join in and post instead of sitting on the sidelines!

The more the merrier!
I believe I'm growing sceptical of cynicism!

MrPotatoHead

Post by MrPotatoHead »

DJH wrote:and also to thank Scott for the quality photography.
Heh!