Movable blog-header for mobile devices

Suggestions and comments you have for the forum
gsx750f

Movable blog-header for mobile devices

Post by gsx750f »

Hi all, and first of all thanks for all the great information and insight!
I commute a lot, and therefore often try to access motomatters using my mobile phone.
Alas, it doesn't work for me, because the header with position:fixed is always covering the upper half of the screen regardless of where I try to scroll, and I'm not able to navigate to any entry.
I don't know if this is an issue with newer smartphones also, i have an older Nokia model currently.
I would like to suggest a simple and quick fix, which would make the header stay on top when scrolling downwards.
I have pasted some javascript here:

http://paste.pocoo.org/show/355014/

This javascript would set position:absolute for devices with a screen height of under 400px, and should respect other window.onload events.
For devices with larger resolutions nothing would change.
I don't know if this is the best way to solve the problem. The best way probably would be a full-fledged mobile version, but i think something like the above javascript already would help readers with mobile browsers a lot.

Edit:
I have just checked and the problem doesn't exist with Android, the Android browser already removes the position:fixed apparently. I will check later today with an iphone.

Richo

Re: Movable blog-header for mobile devices

Post by Richo »

Not sure if David is going to amend the site code to cater for older phones (methinks not). If you have an Android phone, then a great way to access the forums is to use Tapatalk. This allows you to browse the forum without visiting the website as such and gives a nice interface for viewing posts. The readonly version is free. As for iPhone there is probably something similar.

Kropotkin
Site Admin

Post by Kropotkin »

I'm going to make a mobile site in the next few weeks. Should be possible and not too difficult. Working on it ...
--
http://www.motomatters.com/ - MotoGP News, Analysis and Race Reports

gsx750f

Post by gsx750f »

Hi Richo and thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not talking about the forum, but rather the main site.
I've attached a screenshot to make it more clear what I mean.

When you scroll down, the header is also moving down with you, and keeps sitting on top of the visible area.
If you have enough screen real estate, this is pretty cool because you can always access the navigation without having to scroll up.
But if you are low on screen real estate, it would be better to be able to scroll down without having the header staying fixed to the top.
I just checked using an iphone, and here the header moves up and away if you are scrolling, and doesn't keep sitting on the top.
I guess this makes a lot of sense for touch-enabled devices.
I should probably get a newer phone, but maybe there are more people with older mobile browsers that don't handle position:fixed correctly.
I can't even scroll to the area below the header, because the pointer stays inside the header area. Which means the site isn't usable at all for me.
Something like the fix i suggested above would benefit devices with small screens and limited browsers, without any penalties whatsoever, IMO.

gsx750f

Post by gsx750f »

Kropotkin, I didn't see your post before i submitted my last post, so it is obsolete.
Great to hear this, I think there will be a lot of users who will appreciate a mobile site.
I certainly will look forward to it! :)
Have a lot of fun in Quatar, and thanks for keeping us up-to-date! 8-)

Richo

Post by Richo »

Sory gsx, thought you meant the forum. There had been posts in the past re issues viewing the main site on a mobile phone, but I guess if David is going to look into a mobile version that is even better :)