Adding Google maps?

Suggestions and comments you have for the forum
phil

Adding Google maps?

Post by phil »

How do I add a map or route from google maps and show it here on the forum as Richo did on his adventure thread?
His were taken from motogptipping.com so it didn't show the google url or what have you.

Thanks.

RatsMC

Re: Adding Google maps?

Post by RatsMC »

It looks like Richo just took a screenshot then uploaded and posted it.

I'll see what can be done about displaying directly from Google maps.

We have shared a lot of info on getting to GPs, and I'd like to encourage that. Having mapping capabilities might be helpful.

Richo

Post by Richo »

Yes, I just took a screenshot of the map and uploaded to my website then linked back here like any other image. It would have been nice to link the Google map directly of course. Interested to see how you go with this one. Seeing as I spend a lot of time creating maps for my work, including using Google maps and Google Earth, there are a lot of interesting possibilities here.

RatsMC

Post by RatsMC »

I almost got it to work last night but the entire page page was being embedded and you could only see the top corner of it. The beer probably wasn't helping my troubleshooting skills though so I'll give it another go tonight.

Edit: actually, I think I may have figured it out. It is a little cumbersome (but less so than the solutions others have come up with) but I think I might be able to simplify it a bit.

Personally, I'd like to make this work so that I could embed the satellite view of the race tracks in the race topics.

phil

Post by phil »

Did we ever get this Rats?

RatsMC

Post by RatsMC »

Oh yeah. Had it set up a while ago. I totally forgot about this topic so I didn't post up that it was working.

There is a button labeled 'googlemaps'. Get the link from the Google maps page (there is a little chain symbol in the upper right of the map) and paste it into the googlemaps tag:

googlemaps]http://maps.google.com/maps?q=phillip+i ... sland&z=13[/googlemaps

With open and closing brackets, of course.

You can also do satellite and Google earth maps:

And I think you can do streetview:

Kropotkin
Site Admin

Post by Kropotkin »

That is so cool, Rats! MotoMatters.com HQ:

--
http://www.motomatters.com/ - MotoGP News, Analysis and Race Reports

Richo

Post by Richo »

I had noticed that you had started using them in some threads Rats but never really followed this up to see how you did it. I will have to think of some interesting things I can do with this. Thanks.

RatsMC

Post by RatsMC »

I honestly don't remember how I did it, it was so long ago :lol: If you care, I can look it up easily though.

phil

Post by phil »

Excellent work Rats!