PROJECTS.

Talk about all things motorcycling and non-motorcycling, not directly related to racing. No Politics.
phil

PROJECTS.

Post by phil »

Here is a page to post your home projects.
So if you've recently put a reverse "GP" style shifter and a dynojet quick shifter on your beloved R1 to emulate your hero Rossi take a few pics and post them here.
Or while emulating your hero Rossi you forgot you recently put a reverse "GP" style shifter on your beloved R1 and slammed her into 2nd instead of 4th while holding it pinned at 120mph flipping the bike ripping the whole sub frame off, take some pics of the rebuild and post them here. (x-rays too.)
Perhaps you nipped into the garage to do a 5 minute job which in reality took so long you were glad your saw every episode of bear gryll's extreme survival because you knew which bugs you could eat, it's all good, we've been there, tell us about it, perhaps someone knows a trick that will help next time. Mocking you mercilesly is our way of showing we care.
Recently crashed on a trackday? show us the rebuild. Do a good job and we'll let the "I've been thinking of making her into a streetfighter anyway" comments slide. Probably.
Want to make something for your bike but cant seem to get the design right, sound off and bounce some idea's around here.
But if you've decided Charley Boring is a star in his own right and hasn't made a career of being Ewan McGregor's mate and therefore dropped your 1150GS off at the dealers and had all Charley's favorite accessories bolted on start your own thread!
I'm not big on the whole rule thing, and have the tickets to prove, but as a guideline I'd ask that you did it yourself, you and a knowledgeable mate whatever.
***edit*** you know what, on reflection scrap that last bit. whatever youve done to your bike, by whatever means, its all good, let us see, it may help others with improvements for their own bike.
Last edited by phil on Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phil

Re: PROJECTS.

Post by phil »

So here is my humble offering as a start point.
I've lived here in Norway a couple of years now and have a couple of mates who ride, 1 english 1 australian.
but i met this norwegian and got talking about racing and he told me he'd recently bought an '86 VFR 750 (?) which he intended to race (??).
i dont want to get into why buy a 86 vfr for racing, this is about the hows of the project not the why's, i dont get it myself.
so, as i am wont, i found myself offering to help. wtf, why not i thought.
so he'd bought a RC30 bodywork kit and cbr900 wheels, and i said id help out and kinda took over and basically did it myself.
also i should add, for reasons best known to himself he wanted to keep all the lights available so should he want he can take it on the road.
it's all good, who else here has made a quick release back brake indicator assembly??
starting point..
fabricated seat and q-release back brake indicator assembly. cbr wheel had all spacers so plug and play.
from the back
front end with street fairing, note re-routed oil coiler
finshed job

i have more pics if anyone is interested.
difficulties: none really beyond the tedium that is bodywork.
we put some heavy duty clutch springs in too, did the brakes, and fitted an ohlins shock.
all in all a good experience, would of been cheaper for him to just buy a 94 blade from britian and bring it to norway, not riding on the road no import duty would be necessary. but hay its his life and his money...

RatsMC

Post by RatsMC »

Awesome. I hate bodywork as well and do everything I can to remove any that isn't absolutely necessary for the bike to function and be moderately legal.

Is that oil cooler in front of the forks or mounted to them?

I love Honda V4 particularly before the be sport-tourers.

On the lines of bodywork, I am in the middle of assessing the needs of the new bike. Despite being a "streetfighter" (I use that term loosely since I don't think streetfighters come from factories but anyway) the thing simply has too much plastic on it. The problem is that much of it is integrated with various components. This isn't going to stop me, it just makes the work a lot more extreme and more difficult to undo :lol:

Chapter 1: When Paint is like lemmings

So, the first order of business is repainting the parts that I have to live with until I am struck by inspiration for how to get rid of them.

I started small to get a sense for how it was going to look before doing everything. I am glad I did because the rattle can paint I used seems to object to the plastic and flings itself off is it is even looked at funny.

If you look carefully at the radiator scoop there are little bits of red poking through :x

So, it appears that I need to strip that paint off and start over with a little more involve prep and primer work. Usually laziness in painting has always paid off for me, gaining a nicely worked look. Working with bright red changes that apparently.

There are several more parts to the Buell fixin' saga (Chapter 2: Defeating the Giant Mirrors, Chapter 3: De-fending the Flank, etc.) and I will post those up shortly.

phil

Post by phil »

i salute you rats.
having sprayed a few bikes matt black within a few days of ownership i understand the kahunas required, but doing it to a brand new bike takes it to another level, i would of bought one in black and suffered the gloss, my hat is off to ya!
i'm sure you had well meaning friends advising you against doing it with the old de-valueing / re-sale arguement.
the head light cowl looks great.
i'm loving the chapter names already and am looking forward to updates.
be sure to keep us posted.

hmmm...that oil cooler...
in the pic its balanced there, but thats where he wants it. i advised against putting it so far forward for 2 reasons:
1 its right in the line of fire, and 2 its right over his front brakes.
i think the thing needs to be buried as far as sufficient air flow allows.
my opinion fell on deaf ears so i silently withdrew from that area of the project.
i'll help anyone with any project because i love it...no problem...but i wont do anything i think is dangerous or incorrect.
i even tried the peer pressure approach, as in, if he dumped a load of oil on the race line and has race day closed down, there would be several racers baying for his blood, which may be all over the track if oil gets all over the brakes, which it would in that position.

Pantah

Post by Pantah »

Good thread......Some exciting stuff in the off season.
My project will be starting soon.I rent a shed ,but its full.Its a little ways from my home so not that convienient.Im going to build a little shed out the front. It will fit a bike ,all my tools and a little work bench.....Pics to come.........

RatsMC

Post by RatsMC »

Chapter 2: Defeating the Giant Mirrors

Well, the paint continues to go slowly (not nearly as exciting re-doing something as it is doing it the first time). but there really are more pressing concerns for this bike.

The first of these is the enormous mirrors that look sort of like I am riding around with philodendrons on the bars.

Bar-end mirrors are the easy solution however, like many new bikes, the damn turn signals are on the mirror. This calls for more drastic measures.

Since I am not a fan of the parts catalog, the standard LED signals just won't do. If I could find some that weren't really generic of just plain ugly, this might be an option.

So, what to do? Well, early on, I exchanged a few PM's with phil wherein he suggested he might be able to do some custom machining should I need anything. Since I know how to do the wiring for the LEDs this seems like a perfect opportunity for a little cross-continent forum collaboration.

Which leaves me with a new problem - to many options. Since I started thinking about it, the ideas that were so plentiful when the capabilities were limited, have run dry now that some of them might be possible. :roll:

It seems to me that the first place to start in tackling this problem is to figure out the best placement and mounting for the lights.

Looking at the front there are a couple of options:

The first option would be on top of the scoops. there is a lot of real estate there and the design possibilities are plentiful The problem with this is that I am not sure that I want to draw any more attention to what is the part of the bike I am the least comfortable with. I haven't written this option off.

The other option is on the side/front of the headlight cowling. This is a smaller spot with fewer mounting options available but I think that executed properly, should add to the design element I think the factory got the most right.

Now, the interesting part. What has made this that much more difficult is that I have decided on the design theme for the bike. I have recently gotten into rivets and sheet metal. So, the long-term plan is to replace all of the plastic with shaped aluminum. I am still playing with the overall design but as I think this pic captures the concept:

Well, how do you combine LEDs with that?

Richo

Post by Richo »

RatsMC wrote: Well, how do you combine LEDs with that?
Not sure, but I would suggest "conservatively" or it could end up looking like the Starship Enterprise ;)

RatsMC

Post by RatsMC »

Richo wrote:
RatsMC wrote: Well, how do you combine LEDs with that?
Not sure, but I would suggest "conservatively" or it could end up looking like the Starship Enterprise ;)

Right, and I am going for more of the "Airship Enterprise" look. :lol:

Desmo44

Post by Desmo44 »

RatsMC wrote:Well, how do you combine LEDs with that?
I wouldn't mess around with them... just use hand signals. :D
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba....
Hunter S. Thompson

phil

Post by phil »

schiezer from a few years back...
crash bungs for my brothers thunderace...
ImageImageImageImage
velocity stacks for a drag hyabusa turbo...
ImageImageImage

phil

Post by phil »

RatsMC wrote:

Well, how do you combine LEDs with that?
is it possible to do it where you couldn't tell which are rivets and which are LED's?

RatsMC

Post by RatsMC »

phil wrote:
is it possible to do it where you couldn't tell which are rivets and which are LED's?

hmmm...maybe. Of course, up close it would be obvious but with LEDs that are white when not lit...

heng47

Post by heng47 »

Can you see where it's hidden?

phil

Post by phil »

on the end of the sub-frame.
cooler than penguin piss that!!
burning your leg to a cinder on them pipes would be a small sacrifice for such a thing of beauty.

TwoStroke Institute

Post by TwoStroke Institute »

Be heavily involved with building a JJ Cobas Rotax256 for pre-90 racing, Antonio Cobas was the pioneer of the twin spar aluminium frame.

Since found a Rotax 128 engine(125cc) and found they slot straight into a Aprilia RS125 frame :D With my KTM RED BULL FRR250 replica I'll be able to live out those GP win fantasies ;)
If Jesus had ridden, he would have rode a two stroke

RatsMC

Post by RatsMC »

Really, really cool. Man, I would love to be able to take a closer look at the motor. I am not even sure I have been in the same city as a Rotax 2-stroke.

The frame on that thing is interesting while the swingarm flippin' looks tiny. I guess we hadn't started the race to see how long swingarms could be.

I want pics of that 128.

UPDATE:

I am taking measurements for the new cans today. I have been struggling because I don't have a sheetmetal fabrication set up.
Back at home, I could just pop over to a friends house and rig something up. Fortunately, I just found out I have to go back to Oakland the week after next for work. SO, I get in touch with a buddy of mine and will be faxing over the spec today.

Of course, since I wasn't sure you I was going to get the can fabbed up, I hadn't put a lot of effort into design. So, I am probably just going to go really simple: 2 round cans, mostly straight through. Since access to a dyno is really limited, I actually have to do some math and try to get it right the first time :? However, I am keeping the design really flexible so there is a lot I can change later on once I can get time with a dyno more easily.

I'll post up pics as soon as I have something to look at.

TwoStroke Institute

Actualy the engine might be stopping Pheonix Rats a contact there was helping the factory developing the engine.He has a surplus of parts for them, which are cheap and plentiful.
The 128 is in NZ under a bench :lol:

Gustav O

Post by Gustav O »

TwoStroke Institute wrote:Be heavily involved with building a JJ Cobas Rotax256 for pre-90 racing, Antonio Cobas was the pioneer of the twin spar aluminium frame.

Since found a Rotax 128 engine(125cc) and found they slot straight into a Aprilia RS125 frame :D With my KTM RED BULL FRR250 replica I'll be able to live out those GP win fantasies ;)
Cool bike!
I´ll post some pics of my winter project when I get it started, around april I guess from expereince. :lol:

phil

Post by phil »

Gustav O wrote:..........around april I guess from expereince. :lol:
ha, aint that the truth!
TwoStroke Institute wrote: Image

rotax in an aprilia frame sounds interesting TSI.
i've always wanted to build a bike but was lacking in the testicular depatment, you know fella's...an unfinished money-pit!

jihem

Post by jihem »

heng47 wrote: Image
what bike is that ? I recognise a Ducati somewhere, but it's wild !

RatsMC

Post by RatsMC »

jihem wrote:

Yeah, We are owed a story on that one.

TwoStroke Institute

Oh I almost forgot......... phil the bellmouths look nice, but they work much better with a full radius on the end that goes round back on themselves, those 'cut' the air where the radius finishes...............apparently :lol: An Aprilia RS250 a friend bought had hand grips like those 6 shooters, I assume he got them off one of the 'bros'................ :D

phil

Post by phil »

TwoStroke Institute wrote:....but they work much better with a full radius on the end that goes round back on themselves, those 'cut' the air where the radius finishes........
unbelieveable TSI!
i had to remachine those. i made them to the exact specifications but the lad came back to me.
he wasn't happy with the rad on the end. i could see it immediatly, the venturi effect i believe. (erm...immediatly after he said it! ;))
i didn't mind they are the only things i can remember charging someone for, normally stuff i make is for mate's so i never charge 'em.
but you dont get full marks for observation because they were 5mm too long also! :lol:

heng47

Post by heng47 »

RatsMC wrote:
jihem wrote:

Yeah, We are owed a story on that one.
Would you believe it is a multistrada?

jihem

Post by jihem »

...in a previous life :)