Short Film - Research Help

Talk about all things motorcycling and non-motorcycling, not directly related to racing. No Politics.
roryastewart

Short Film - Research Help

Post by roryastewart »

Hello everyone, I'm Rory and I'm a writer/director currently working on a short film for the Charity Shift.MS.

The short film is about an ex-racer (Kush) who, having left racing behind after his diagnosis with MS, attends his younger brother's (Hari) latest race for the first time in years. Obviously, the main focus of the film is how people with MS are perceived and how they perceive the world but we also, of course, want to be as true as possible to the world of motorcycle racing.

So I was hoping I might be able to use this thread as a place to ask some questions and find help researching for the racing side as I write the film.

Right now I have some, probably laughably, basic questions...

- In the film Hari has a malfunction while test riding the track the morning of the race; this malfunction needs to be something slightly mysterious, that could be fixed in a few hours but that could also happen again due the rider mishandling the machine, a half-arsed fix or even just bad luck. Any suggestions?

- The race is meant to be a very low-level race; Hari was previously Kush's mechanic and feeling betrayed by his brother giving up he has decided to race for himself, despite a lack of what it takes to get to the level of winning a TT which is his ultimate goal. I have had a look at different races throughout the country, but what would you guys think is a suitable low-level race that might have a prize but minimal sponsorships (brand names are a bit of a no-no in films!)? I always have the option of inventing a race, as trademarks might come into play, but something to use as a basis would be extremely useful.

- Are there any race-tracks in South England or the East Coast of Scotland that is particularly visually interesting anyone might recommend looking into?

Thanks very much for reading guys, I'm very keen to make all the racing stuff as legitimate as possible. My brother-in-law is a big motorcycle guy so I'd be letting the side down if not!

If anyone wants to email me for any reason I can be reached at rorystewart89@gmail.com.

Rory

bikermike

Re: Short Film - Research Help

Post by bikermike »

Mysterious fault: pretty much anything on a bike can do that. Your best bets are probably electrics (everyone has a story about a problem that looked like a total failure of an expensive part and turned out to be a dodgy earth or a loose battery connection), or fuelling (a kinked hose trapped eg between tank and frame can take you out of a race. Or blocked breather can stop the fuel being sucked out of the tank etc etc).

Low-budget racing with no sponsorship? Pretty much any club race (which is in the equivalent of pub football up to championship level in football).

Good locations? Cadwell. It's not in the south east, but the circuits in the se are brands hatch (might as well try to hire stamford bridge) and Lydden. No idea about scotland.

Best thing would be to ask around the clubs, BEMSEE, North Gloucester, EMRA etc and see who can help. I'd suggest following a club racer for a few meets and see what goes on...

roryastewart

Post by roryastewart »

Thanks Mike, much appreciated!

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

The only circuit I can think of in Scotland would be Knockhill, which is not too far from Edinburgh.

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

There's East Fortune
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Fortune I'm told it's quite basic...