So... trying something different...

Talk about all things motorcycling and non-motorcycling, not directly related to racing. No Politics.
Apical

Re: So... trying track daze &...

Post by Apical »

Also been dirt bike riding with my brother recently.
That was fun, my dirt skills are still OK.

Doing another track day tomorrow.
At my "local" circuit, only 200 miles from home.

This will be track day number eight, four different bikes, three different tracks in two countries.
Oz & New Zealand.

New zip together leathers plus new back protector.

It has been super fun. I'm not enjoying riding on the public roads so much. Tending to ride a long way from the city and not on main highways.

Eastern Creek or SMSP was better than I remembered it.
More speed on the straight than the other tracks I've done recently. Turn one is a hoot, enter at 180ish (fast as that bike would go) roll off a little, then power out.

Loving the racetrack again.
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

Mikesbytes

Re: So... trying something different...

Post by Mikesbytes »

Isn't you local circuit Wakefield park?
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Apical

Re: So... Yes Wakefield

Post by Apical »

Yes Mikesbytes Wakefield park is my nearest track. That is where I'm riding tomorrow.

Then Winton is the next closest about 350 kilometres from home. In a different direction. Haven't done a track day there yet. Planning to do Winton and Broadford in one trip. Hopefully before Xmas, will have to see how things go. Damn virus, lockdown, quarantine & all that.

Our state borders look like they will re-open soonish.
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Glad to see enjoying some track riding. Was looking at some YouTube videos on Wakefield park. Looks like lot of fast corners some fast entries. Some good fun. Also was thinking some of the up shifts look to be while leaned over rolling on throttle / power. I’ve found a reverse shift pattern helpful for such situations. Just what came to mind not that it’s a must. Have fun.

Apical

Post by Apical »

Another top day at Wakefield! Fun, fun, fun!
It was hot 31° Celsius air temperature, 51° track temp.

It has been over a year since I rode this track on my 996.
My lines, braking points etc were a bit sketchy at first

The second "medium" session had a yellow flag after four laps. Just as I was beginning to get into a rhythm. Did seven laps, my braking was better.

Third session did a few laps then the red flags.
Lights actually, Wakefield has a system with red, yellow & green lights near each flag point.

4th session I did 4 laps, caught up with a slower rider and decided to wait. A rider on a fireblade passed me and then the slow rider got tangled up with the blade & both went down. Red flagged again.
The short sessions were probably good for me, being an unfit old bloke. Frustrating though.

Last session 15 laps uninterrupted, found my rhythm again, started pushing. Used more revs, hung off a little more. Having fun! Was passed by a guy on a Triumph 675 early in the session, followed him, started catching the Triumph. Chose to wait, I was faster at the top of the hill, turns 4 & 5, but that is not the place to pass. Not at a track day at least, racing yes. Got by on the straight and he stuck with me until the end. So I was focused on being smooth and fast. Rode OK for me and stayed in front until the end.
Mega fun! Much cheaper than a speeding fine.
Kenup 283 Wakefield park isn't that fast. For mere mortals at least. Fast riders are 15 seconds a lap quicker than me. I go into turn 1 about 175~180 kays.
I get what you mean about the race pattern gear shift. I tried it for a few sessions at Manfield New Zealand.
But it doesn't work for me. After more than 40 years of conventional cog swapping I have to think about the gearchange, and that's not fast.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Patience is a good thing to have or learn the hard way. Glad you could avoid getting tangled up in others mess... Really fun when find someone out there on similar pace and improve off each other. Great feeling. I like some fast tip in turns. Finding yourself going from i use to brake here, to now I just grab a downshift and throw it in. Another great feeling.

Apical

Another day another track

Post by Apical »

Another track day.
Finally got to ride Winton.
I've been here before spectating.
Only 25 riders at 9 am, a few arrived later.
Three groups of 8 or 10 bikes, uncrowded.
I was the slowest in the slow group.
Took a couple of 20 minute sessions to learn enough to begin pushing a bit more.
Rather hot 30°c with a variable breeze.
Some bumps and joins in the tarmac. I adjusted my lines to avoid some of the bumps. One turn I could feel the rear moving as I went across the join in the tarmac.
Changed my line there.

Enjoyed the day very much.
Was a bit late getting on track in the first stint, 5 laps. Next time out 9 and had a better idea of braking points. After 12 laps I was done! Came in thinking " I'm too old & unfit ". Once I had peeled some sweaty leather off and cooled down in front of a fan. I was feeling better. Thought " I'm not getting any younger, may as well do it while I can ". Chose to sit out one session at the hottest part of the day.

In the last session I was happy with my riding. Found a better rhythm, corner speed up a bit. Some turns the bike was accelerating harder due to higher revs/ speed on the exit. In places the bike would pull a higher gear. So one less down shift on the way in, smoother & quicker.

Learning a new track is interesting. Then trying to do what I think is a fast lap. When or usually IF I can do good laps the next step is finding more speed.

Haven't adjusted anything on the bike yet. Concentrating on my riding.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

That aligned that well with the border reopening. What states were the riders from?
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Apical

Post by Apical »

Mikesbytes riders were mostly from Victoria, although I didn't get to talk to many riders.
Cru Halliday, Yamaha superbike racer & supersport champion, is from NSW as far as I know. Halliday was one of the fastest riders on Monday.
Laura Brown NSW, Tom Edwards is also from NSW, & had even further to travel than myself. Also very fast, has raced internationally in wss300.

I got through the day ok, no crashes or mechanical problems.

I was wrong about how far I had to travel, it was about 680 kilometres from home to Winton circuit. 420 miles each way. Doing all the driving was a challenge. I prefer to have another person to share driving, loading & unloading the bike etc. Not always possible. Did it all myself this time.

Made it back home safely, only encountered one wallaby, one stray dog and two calves on the road.