PI 2011

Talk about all things motorcycling and non-motorcycling, not directly related to racing. No Politics.
OZintheDesert

PI 2011

Post by OZintheDesert »

I just got home from Phillip island and I suspect lucky to be alive.

Phillip Island is a difficult place to get into and out of as there is only 1 road going in. At the end of the racing (same with superbikes) the road becomes 1 way out and there is usually traffic chaos for cars while the bikes go up the middle and round the sides, and this is usually directed by the numerous police officers in attendance. My partner and I were slowly cruising up the centre of the road not three kms from the track when a *gentleman* in his car felt that the wait to get into the traffic from the side road he was sitting in (overseen by 4 police who were not stoping the traffic to let him in) was getting too much and he decided he wanted to cut in.. not to the lane adjacent to him as one would normally do, but to the lane on the opposite side of the road. Needless to say in his insistance to get to the otherside of the road he felt that watching for bikes wasn't necessary.....

Its never a good feeling being involved in an accident as a motorcyclist especially when cars are involved, and t-boning a car at 30kms with no chance of braking is a very terrible feeling. Even more terrible is the feeling that you have let down someone who trusts you to get them around safely on the back of your bike. I have never previously been unlucky enough to crash with a pillion before and I can honestly say that the only thing I was concerned about was her. I was not even able to see her untli 2am this morning.

We were both transported to hospital and I have been discharged this morning with a very sore left elbow and a very sore right ankle. No broken bones and my helmet has no visible marks on it (i landed on the front of the car and slid over it). My partner is still in hospital as she blacked out and hit her head. She has a broken collar bone (clavical) but appears to be ok apart from that.

I have done this ride so many times without incident over the years and it pains me to think that at an event so donimated by spectators on motorcycles that that even ignoring their existence for a second while driving a car in that scenario is ridiculous, and being impatient is a recipe for disaster. I am a very lucky man that I have not suffered anything severe and that there is nothing lost that cannot be replaced.
I love riding. But not in Libya.

tom

Re: PI 2011

Post by tom »

Terrible luck oz. What an twat the driver was, hope he was insured and you were given his details. Fingers crossed for the misses.

WayneG

Post by WayneG »

Sad news indeed Oz. I hope you and your partner fully recover and that the culprit was suitably attended to by the constabulary in presence.
My first love was my motorbike, we went through everything together. Wind, rain, fences..

Pantah

Post by Pantah »

Glad to hear you are ok,mate.......Having a crash is shithouse,especially when you have someone on the back.

Albert

Post by Albert »

Glad to hear that you're okay.
It's never good being involved in someone else's accident - more so with a pillion!

The only plus point to take out of this entire episode is that you did nothing wrong!

I hope the tosser gets "done" for causing it!
I believe I'm growing sceptical of cynicism!

Cam D

Post by Cam D »

Glad you guys are OK/healing.
How do you go insurance wise OZ? I know what the car driver did was stupid but insurance companies being what they are, can they avoid paying because you were going up the centre of the cars?
Yamaha... Japanese for "Two dog's - One steak"- Japh the wise.

Gustav O

Post by Gustav O »

Glad you guys are relatively OK. Hope everything works out with recovery and insurance issues!

OZintheDesert

Post by OZintheDesert »

Just got back from seeing my other half.

She is still hospital and is going to have an op to put a plate in her clavical as the break was not clean. I have had some news about the accident which I will talk about when i get some more concrete answers. The insurance thing is not an issue. I spoke to the police today and they said that as I was under direction there is no at fault from my end and the insurance should cover the whole thing. At leats thats what the cops say. I speak to my insurance company tomorrow now that I have some more info to give them.

The medical side is OK all the bills are paid for through my bike registration so there will be out of pocket expwnses for the forseeable future.

Thanks for all your wishes folks.

phil

Post by phil »

I'm gutted for you and your partner Oz.
A speedy recovery to you both.
I always take crashing as part of riding... as long as it's your fault!
Having a car pull out on you without result is horrendous enough!
Good luck with the nightmare of paperwork amigo.

Kropotkin
Site Admin

Post by Kropotkin »

Really bad news and I hope it all turns out well. Sent you a PM, let me know if you received it.
--
http://www.motomatters.com/ - MotoGP News, Analysis and Race Reports

SP_won

Post by SP_won »

Terrible news. All the best to both of you for recovery, and here's hoping that the tiresome admin. side of things goes as smoothly as possible.

Richo

Post by Richo »

Agree with all the sentiment above Oz, hope things turn out ok on the insurance side. I too have ridden that road plenty of times after the GP and it can certainly get hectic. There isn't much chance of improving it either, seeing as it is only a narrow bridge back to the mainland as well. But I guess you can't help stupidity and there always seems to be someone around to provide that element.

motomania

Post by motomania »

Oz, glad to hear you're both in fairly decent shape and not hurt anymore than you are. Sounds like you'll both heal fine with time. It sucks that you were in an accident but to have someone act that stupidly at a bike race is beyond bizarre. At least the cops were right there so there shouldn't be any issues. Hope your fairly compensated for your losses and heal up quickly.
"I gave up mind reading, I found I didn't have the required equipment." - Me

TwoStroke Institute

Post by TwoStroke Institute »

That's not the way to finish a great weekend. Hope your partner recovers quickly.
If Jesus had ridden, he would have rode a two stroke

OZintheDesert

Post by OZintheDesert »

Just an update,

I am heading off to pick her up from hospital and bring her home. Her clavical has had a plate fitted and the surgeon said the break was worse than they could see on the x-rays. it was broken in 4 places. but she is in better spirits and looking forward to coming home.

Insurance company is being pretty good about it so no big issues on that front either.

The police have cleared us from any fault. The driver of the car and his passengers were italian and left the country pretty much that evening. So the police felt that charging them was a waste of time. They have advised us pursue a civil matter. I might look into that when I feel better.

I am still hobbling around but I can walk and talk and I guess that all that really matters.

Thanks again for all the kind words

phil

Post by phil »

What's up OZ, how's it going...

OZintheDesert

Post by OZintheDesert »

Hey Phil,

Doing OK.. Back at work for the both of us. Me with a walking stick for a few weeks and the other half in a sling. The Surgery went well for her and she is recovering. I am frankly amazed that she has no other injuries. I am getting intensive physio and am working. Getting tired at the end of a day but feeling ok.

The other party, it turned out, happened to be three of the race mechanics for the Carretta Technologies Moto2 team. They were apparently on their way to the airport from the track heading for Malaysia when they decided that waiting was going to take too long. I have kept mum about it until the dust settled and we found out about our options. Unfortunately the Police were unable to charge the driver, as they explained it as "a waste of time", as any charge would not have upheld due to the them leaving the country and the there was no charge applicable that would have allowed them to take the driver into custody. Such is life. My cheque for the bike arrived in the mail today - minus an excess which I have to wait for as the hire car company hasn't paid up yet. Slowly slowly life will return to some normality.

Good news is I still have my other bike. I won't be converting it for racing as I am planning on buying a little race prepped 250 from the wreckers and race that next year instead.

phil

Post by phil »

I don't want to see motorcycle teams getting into trouble, but I don't want to see motorcyclists injured either.
If charges were pressed against the driver he would go onto some kind of imigration record which would come up should he try and enter the country again...ie Phillip Island next year...
I know this for a fact as when I knew I was leaving Holland to go to Norway I drove like a nutter totally disregarding speed limits and parking tickets, 2 years later I flew into Amsterdams Schipol Airport and was arrested and made to 1400 euros in fines, which, had I been unable to pay I would of had to do some jail time for.