The Obligatory Post Your Bike Topic

Talk about all things motorcycling and non-motorcycling, not directly related to racing. No Politics.
WayneG

Re: The Obligatory Post Your Bike Topic

Post by WayneG »

I prefer the ease of use of the Contour from a helmet mount but I was concerned about the wind noise. However the HD Plus now comes with an external mic socket allowing a mic to be run from inside the helmet. This effectively reduces the wind noise and also allows for commentary. Both cameras have their advantages and I have a while to decide yet.
My first love was my motorbike, we went through everything together. Wind, rain, fences..

Alexandru

Post by Alexandru »

I chose the GoPro because of all the different ways it can be mounted. The contour tailored for side hemet mounting, but it does have a cool picatinny rail mount so it can be attached to your assault rifle! :twisted:

Edit: It looks like the is an aftermarket rail mount available for the GoPro! :D

RatsMC

Post by RatsMC »

That picatinny mount really caught my attention when I first saw it.

I really like the shape of the Contour as it looks less like some odd dealy-bobber when it is mounted. However, it doesn't do the chest mount or any flat mount well.

WayneG

Post by WayneG »

My ideal camera would be somewhere between the two.

My initial thoughts are -
Contour HD Plus (only the plus has the external mic socket)
I like the mounting rail system especially for helmet mounting. It is simple to use, versatile and allows the camera to be returned to the same position each time. A friend who uses one has four mounting points set up on his bike, 3 forward, 1 rearward as well as the helmet mount. It's more than I'd use because his films tend to flip from one view to another too often for my liking, but regardless each mount gives good clear relatively vibration free pictures.
I like the slimline design of the camera. It sits in nice and close to the helmet without the tripod look of bits of mounting bracket sticking out at all angles.
I especially like the easy large slide on/off switch. It is easy to use with gloved hands and gives you confidence that recording has stopped/started without having to check. It also allows recording to be started/stopped while you're riding without groping for little buttons.
I like the idea of the Bluetooth connection to a mobile phone for viewfinding and changing settings etc
The GPS functions would be good for recording your favourite run, not so handy for touring but it could have its purposes.
The raw sound quality is very average and wind noise reduction is non existant. However as I said I would intend to use an external mic which gets around the problem.
I slightly prefer the colour accuracy of the Contour over the GoPro but that is more personal taste. The quality of both is excellent although the Contour seems to handle low light better than the GoPro. The GoPro seems to get grainy around the edges of the headlight beam.

GoPro Hero 2
The thing I really like about the GoPro is it's still and time lapse photography functions. You can produce some amazing effects with them and just gives the camera a flexibility of use that the Contour doesn't have.
It's slow motion function also appears superior to the Contour (120 vs 60 fps) although to a large extend good editing software can produce very sharp super slow mo's now a days.
I don't like that you can not attach an external mic while the camera is in its waterproof case (unless you drill a hole through the case), although this is only a problem if you want to use external mics which most people don't.
I like the suction cap mount itself, it is very sturdy and stable but I just find the whole mounting system for the GoPro a bit unwieldy and a bit like a meccano set. Apart from a tank top mounting, the Contour seems to be able to mounted anywhere the GoPro can in a more compact streamlined manner due to the rail mounting system.

In the end it comes down to personal preference and fitness for purpose. Both appear to be excellent cameras. At the moment I think I would slightly lean towards the Contour purely for it's overall ease of use; but I do like that time lapse function. :)
My first love was my motorbike, we went through everything together. Wind, rain, fences..

Alexandru

Post by Alexandru »

Here is a video I made using the GoPro Hero2 with the chest mount. I think this is the best for supermoto/dirt or upright riding position bikes. I does a better job of capturing the features of the road, such as how tight Pinehurst Rd. is.

http://youtu.be/7F3p0Ti3Tdg

Richo

Post by Richo »

Nice footage Alex, and a nice bit of road too.

RatsMC

Post by RatsMC »

Hey, Alezandru, was that you out in the Exige last Saturday up on Grizzly Peak? I was up there with two of my buddies, all of us on XRs, headed toward The Wall.

Alexandru

Post by Alexandru »

RatsMC wrote:Hey, Alezandru, was that you out in the Exige last Saturday up on Grizzly Peak? I was up there with two of my buddies, all of us on XRs, headed toward The Wall.
Nope, I was out on Pinehust and Redwood in the Exige last Friday though. I usually do my riding/driving on weeknights and stay away on the weekends, less traffic to deal with. If you ever want to meet up on redwood or grizzly let me know, I can bring either the Exige, Husaberg, or Mito.

Alexandru

Post by Alexandru »

Richo wrote:Nice footage Alex, and a nice bit of road too.
Thanks, that area is popular with a lot of riders in the east bay. Its got lots of turns and little traffic, and close to most cities in the east bay.

RatsMC

Post by RatsMC »

There are a ton of roads up there and you can go for as long as you want while also having a good number of them right in the city. I usually stop at the coffee shop then shoot up there. It's nice because even if you just have 30 minutes, you can get a decent ride in.

I just found El Toyonal last weekend. It is a serious goat trail, starting off on hard pack, then old pavement and finally good tarmac up at the top where it exits onto Grizzly Peak. Perfect for the sumo.

chadwick

Post by chadwick »

Went out Saturday and took some new pictures of the R1.

RatsMC

Post by RatsMC »

Very nice. As you might be able to tell from my bikes, I am a big fan of matte black. On new bikes it looks great mixed with the glossy black.

Of all the "new" Japanese bikes, the R1 is far and away my favorite both aesthetically and mechanically.

Mattias

Post by Mattias »

Exciting update!

I'm very nearly done putting my little bike back together. Among the new exciting things to note are: Straight frame, Marvic Pentas and WP suspension. Oh, and gold outlines on the numbers.

Gustav O

Post by Gustav O »

HRC custom made bike bench?

Mattias

Post by Mattias »

Gustav O wrote:HRC custom made bike bench?
Nah, it's a "Kull" from Ikea. I've pimped it with carpet and some paint.
I'm going to use it to display the wreckage in my living room when I retire at the end of the season.

Gustav O

Post by Gustav O »

Sure you want to practice next week?

Tirsdag
03.04.2012 kl 2–8 -4° 0 mm Svak vind, 2 m/s fra vest
kl 8–14 -2° 0 mm Svak vind, 3 m/s fra vest-nordvest
kl 14–20 3° 0,1 mm Lett bris, 4 m/s fra nord-nordvest
kl 20–2 -1° 0,1 mm Svak vind, 3 m/s fra nord

Mattias

Post by Mattias »

Gustav O wrote:Sure you want to practice next week?

Tirsdag
03.04.2012 kl 2–8 -4° 0 mm Svak vind, 2 m/s fra vest
kl 8–14 -2° 0 mm Svak vind, 3 m/s fra vest-nordvest
kl 14–20 3° 0,1 mm Lett bris, 4 m/s fra nord-nordvest
kl 20–2 -1° 0,1 mm Svak vind, 3 m/s fra nord

I love riding in the rain, so why wouldn't snow be even lovelier?

DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Meant to post this a while back as not much chance of being taken to court now!

Gustav O

Post by Gustav O »

Wow. When did you ride that bike? ;)

DaveP

Post by DaveP »

I was just a RDP stand in Gustav :D

Gustav O

Post by Gustav O »

DaveP wrote:I was just a RDP stand in Gustav :D
Under cover, a bit like the Stig. :D

DaveP

Post by DaveP »

If only, most I was allowed was a pitbike!

cmb

Post by cmb »

My 07 R6

cmb

Post by cmb »

My 02 R6 track bike

cmb

Post by cmb »

My 03 ZX6RR track bike and my old kx