BSB 2021

Talk about national motorcycle racing series: AMA, BSB, Australian or Japanese Superbikes, IDM, CIV, CEV, Irish Road Racing, TT, whatever takes your fancy.
Apical

Re: BSB 21 New race winner

Post by Apical »

Another new winner this season.

Peter Hickman takes his first BSB win for 2021! First victory for Faye Ho and her FHO racing team! Go them!

Some more solid points for my rookie Rory Skinner.

https://www.britishsuperbike.com/news/2 ... dwell-park

Haven't seen a video yet, does anyone have a good link?

More races to come :-)
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

Schwantz34

Re: BSB 2021

Post by Schwantz34 »

Is it top 8 in the showdown this year?

Apical

Re: BSB Shootout

Post by Apical »

Good news Brad Jones is out of I.C.U.
https://www.britishsuperbike.com/news/2 ... 0-23082021

Good question Schwantzy. Took a while for me to find it.

https://www.britishsuperbike.com/about/event-format

You are correct top 8 become title fighters.

Quote " the top eight riders in the championship standings will graduate as Title Fighters and be elevated to 1000 points together with any Podium Points accrued in the Main Season."

Then three rounds to decide the chip.
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

That must be a change this year, used to be top 6. I think your fellow Aussie O'Halloran will be a difficult man to beat, he's going well everywhere although in the past he's suffered some fairly bad luck

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Happy to see some road racing names up at the pointy end there. Great to see making most of times.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I've only just caught up on last Weekend's racing.

As already discussed above, O'Halloran is looking very strong. Not winning every race, but it's notable that 2nd and 3rd in the championship have a number of DNFs each. O'Halloran has won nine races, and nobody else has won more than two. That pattern is going to have to change considerably if anyone is going to have any chance of challenging, even with the shootout. Massively ahead of everyone else in wins, and with better overall podium consistency. How is that going to be beaten? (Not a rhetorical question.)

I did a double take when Iddon got back into second place in the championship. It really shows the lack of consistency in the field other than O'Halloran. A 5th, a retirement, and a 7th, and he's back in 2nd. Real shame that Taz McKenzie had that weekend-ending accident when he was looking strong.

Good to see Brookes edging back towards the pointy end. Has he changed his bike number? I'm sure he had a No. 1. on his bike earlier on.

Bridewell is looking strong. But for how many years has he been strong but heading for about third in the championship.

Is the BMW a good enough bike on a wide enough range of tracks for Hickman to stay strong? Or is this going to be a single weekend flash in the pan? (Again, not a rhetorical question) Buchan dominated one weekend but has had only one podium in total on all other weekends.

Apical

Rory Skinner

Post by Apical »

I've just seen some news on twitter via MotoMatters.

"American Racing say they're hoping to bring Rory Skinner into Moto2 next year" Mat Oxley

Rory's smiling race would be a real asset in the paddock.

Can't find any other info right now.

Fingernails

Re: Rory Skinner

Post by Fingernails »

Apical wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:52 am
I've just seen some news on twitter via MotoMatters.

"American Racing say they're hoping to bring Rory Skinner into Moto2 next year" Mat Oxley

Rory's smiling race would be a real asset in the paddock.

Can't find any other info right now.
It sounds like a good move. He seems to have potential, but still quite a bit to learn. I know that policemen get younger every year, but when they showed his picture last race I did think 'crickey he looks young'.

Apical

Re: Rory Skinner 2022

Post by Apical »

Thanks for the picture Fingernails.

Rory turns 20 next month. To me that is young, but a racer needs to made progress. To have a chance to get to the top level at the right age.
Seemed to have a good attitude to racing when I first noticed him in the British Talent cup. Which he won.
Rode quite well to win the 600ss class in BSB.
Races well with the fast riders in BSB. Skinner has already taken a pair of podiums. Let's see how 2021 goes.
With Chris Walker there RS69 will be fine.

Rory can't grow a beard though.

Good luck to him. Whatever he does in 2022.

Apical

BSB Snetterton

Post by Apical »

Snetterton again. They had an official test here 4 months ago.

Peter Hickman doing well in first practice. 2nd Ryan Vickers, two aussies Jason O'Halloran & Josh Brookes 3rd & 4th.

Brookesy seems to have turned a corner and is riding better. Was quickest a one point in free practice. I am pleased to see Josh improve.

https://www.britishsuperbike.com/news/2 ... practice-1

https://www.britishsuperbike.com/news/2 ... snetterton

Rory Skinner much quicker in fp2! As was Hicky; almost a second a lap faster than fp1.

Apical

Re: BSB Bad news

Post by Apical »

Bad news for our American friends.

Brandon Paasch had another crash.

https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/br ... netterton/

"Editorial Note: American Brandon Paasch, riding his Dynavolt Triumph 765, qualified third in British Supersport. After turning the fastest lap time while racing for the lead in Race One, he crashed and suffered a broken right wrist, according to a post he made on social media. He will not participate in Race Two on Sunday."

I hope it's not a bad break.

The good news is Brad Jones is recovering and able to talk.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I think the big question of last weekend is how Skinner managed to stay on that bike. They replayed it from multiple angles, each new angle making it look even less likely that would end well.

The crashes due to oil were potentially horrific. I think there was quite a bit of luck involved that no riders and out of control bikes ever occupied the same space at the same time.

For the racing, Taz MacKenzie is a deserved rider of the weekend with his two wins. If his new form continues into the shootout then perhaps the championship will end up closer this year than it was looking. We'll see next race whether Taz can keep this up. Clearly it's more interesting for the championship if he can.

Bridewell still didn't win another race, but he's now challenging for wins and leaving both factory Ducati riders

Iddon is now rather disappointing after his early promise. It looks as if he may be trying too hard to make up a speed deficit, and falling off this often is not a strategy.

Brookes is improving from whatever led to his huge loss of pace over the winter, but he's still going to have to push just to get into the top eight. Maybe we'll see that, maybe we won't. But, he's going to have to take a large step up to be in any sort of contention for the championship even if he gets into he shootout, and I'm not sure it's going to happen.

I found a YouTube video showing Skinner's moment, and the chaos later on in the race. (Nobody gets seriously hurt.)

https://youtu.be/MiICsClFc48?list=TLPQM ... KAf3-GJ6Qg

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

"Is the BMW a good enough bike on a wide enough range of tracks for Hickman to stay strong? Or is this going to be a single weekend flash in the pan? "

Hicky has always gone very well at Cadwell. I wonder if it is because it is a more road-like circuit than others (for those who don't know it, Cadwell Park is actually following the estate roads around a now-demolished country house, Snett (post the 2012(?) rebuild) is a very designed circuit)?

Snett is bad for oil spills, I don't know why - maybe its the high-speed and slow corners give the oil a harder time?

Apical

Re: BSB 2021 New winner

Post by Apical »

Glenn Irwin on the Honda takes a victory.
More podium points for Tommy Bridewell & Christian Iddon.
Josh Brookes getting closer to the top eight.

https://www.britishsuperbike.com/news/2 ... -crash-out

More races today. Last opportunity to get into the top 8 "title fighters"

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

Demolition derby that first race!!

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I've finally seen the races. I'm watching BSB in a rather asynchronous manner. Every once in a while I check my telly to see if it has recorded any BSB or WSBK races, and if so I watch them.

Agreed that the first race was a bit of a demolition derby, with rather a lot of what looked like ill-judged passing attempts to me.

There is a certain amount of motivation to stay in the top eight, and this may have contributed to some of what we saw this weekend. It doesn't explain everything though - like the McAMS Yamaha wipeout in race one.

Josh Brookes finally comes good. Just when he needs the results to squeeze into the top eight. He's certainly most improved rider this weekend if we're comparing his results to pretty much the rest of the season. If he could do it last weekend, why not earlier in the season?

MacKenzie and O'Halloran look fairly even. And now they aren't too far apart on points. That's going to be a tight fight there, I expect. With nine races to go, that 30 point advantage could easily be eroded.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

I have a feeling that the 30 point lead might grow at Oulton Park though, McKenzie has traditionally not gone well there whilst O'Halloran has.

We'll see in a couple of weeks.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Schwantz34 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:02 pm
I have a feeling that the 30 point lead might grow at Oulton Park though, McKenzie has traditionally not gone well there whilst O'Halloran has.

We'll see in a couple of weeks.
In hindsight, interesting post. Predictions frequently bite me on the backside, and possibly the same has happened here :D

I've seen the races now, and not only do we have the shootout format equalising things, the results of last weekend finished off the equalisation process. Tarran is in the lead and Tommy not far behind the Yamaha boys.

I do think it's a bit unfair in that McKenzie bumped two competitors off in the last race, and while he received the three second penalty, he still benefits overall.

Brookes has definitely improved relative to other riders, but perhaps not enough to have a shot at the championship. Maybe that prediction will be turned on its head next weekend :)

O'Halloran has sort of won the championship once, and due to the shootout and two DNSs now needs to win it all over again. Very far from certain that he will.

Apical

Re: BSB Final round 2021

Post by Apical »

The BSB championship will be decided this weekend.

Hopefully on the track, not in race direction's office.

I'm also hoping for some great racing.

Who will win? I've no preference really. Tarran Mackenzie hasn't won the championship before. Brooksey has & isn't likely to win it again in 2021.

Jason O is another Aussie I would like to see do well. Primary mission; beat your teammate! It could happen.

I would like to see Tommy Bridewell get good results. TB46 has been riding well, his results improving recently, on a Ducati.

I haven't seen much of Christian Iddon, don't know him, he is my least favorite of the BSB Ducati riders. All good if Iddon wins the chip.

Rory Skinner won't be winning the championship. But it would be satisfying if Rory gets some good results.

We'll see

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

Hello Apical, just so you know Brookes can definitely not win the title this year. Shame about his spills at treacherous Donington.

I've got a Sunday ticket for Brands, hoping for dry weather and some great title fighting racing. Ideally we get something like Hill v Hopkins from 2011

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I've just caught up with the last races. It seems that MacKenzie looks to be the favourite. O'Halloran looked quite anonymous in the midfield. But, with the race being a triple header all we need is for O'Halloran to find a better setup than anyone else for the track and things can easily change. Which year was it when Shakey Byrne was a fair way behind Leon Haslam entering the last weekend ... and won the championship. One fall from Leon and two off-podium finishes, combined with two Shakey wins and everything was different.

Somehow I'll think it'll be a bit unfair if O'Halloran doesn't win it given his pre-shootout lead. But, this is how the shootout works, which every rider knew from the beginning of the season.

I'll be back in this thread a few days after the races when I've seen them on TV.

Apical

Re: BSB 2021 FINALE

Post by Apical »

The last round of BSB is underway!

We don't know who will win the championship! That's good.

Practice yesterday at Brands Hatch Gp circuit, the long version, which I like. 3.916 kilometres or 2.433 miles.

Very close times in practice 14 riders within 0.514 of a second. Aussie Jason O'Halloran fastest overall. Then the two Visiontrack Ducatis.

Good luck Tommy Bridewell and Rory Skinner!

Race 1 today and more to come tomorrow.

https://www.britishsuperbike.com/news/2 ... e-practice

Where & how to watch
https://www.britishsuperbike.com/news/2 ... -the-globe

Hoping for some great racing.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I will see the races later in the week.

I do think that the momentum is with MacKenzie, but in any one weekend any one rider can rise to the top and dominate. And, it could be O'Halloran this weekend.

(This will already be happening or not in real time but I haven't seen it.)

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

*** SPOILERS ***

Well, that was fairly conclusive. I am still not comfortable with the shootout format, as I feel it's unfair to riders that build an early lead. Particularly when O'Halloran then lost most of his remaining lead after the shootout leveling with a DNF. However, the final margin between O'Halloran and MacKenzie was 60 points, far bigger than that DNF. And, of course, O'Halloran slipped to third place behind Tommy Bridewell. O'Halloran was on the podium twice, but he wasn't in the lead fight. (And what fights they were.)

In both the last round of WSBK and BSB, there has been some incredibly tough riding, but few falls. How MacKenzie and Bridewell avoided at least one of them falling with their rear wheel to front wheel contact is incredible.

Interesting to see how tough the racing was in the last race given that the championship was decided. Bridewell still had second to race for. Iddon's crash was unfortunate. But, he ended up 19 points behind O'Halloran, and perhaps that crash was what sealed that. Iddon needs work on his finishing record for next year. Not saying that all crashes were his fault, but he lost a lot of points this year.

I have no idea who will be in the championship and who won't be, and which teams riders will ride for. But, I'm looking forward to next year.