BSB 2021

Talk about national motorcycle racing series: AMA, BSB, Australian or Japanese Superbikes, IDM, CIV, CEV, Irish Road Racing, TT, whatever takes your fancy.
Apical

BSB 2021

Post by Apical »

The calendar is out for BSB 2021
Eleven 11 rounds at the usual circuits AFAIK https://www.britishsuperbike.com/events/2021/

No Assen for BSB at this stage.

Rory Skinner the youngest ever winner, in its 32 year history, of the British Supersport 600 Championship, moves up to superbikes.
Rory will be riding a Kawasaki for the Factory backed Kawasaki Team FS-3 Racing.

Aussie Lachlan Epis will be going back again. I hope 2021 turns out better for Epis. He completed one race at Brands last year. Had a big crash there at the final round in 2020. Epis turns 21 this month. He already has plenty of racing experience & should improve in the highly competitive BSB arena.

Josh Brookes and Jason O'Halloran will fly the flag for Australia, no doubt.
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

Apical

Re: BSB 2021

Post by Apical »

Brandon Paasch is returning to BSB to ride a Triumph.
B.P. has done well in MotoAmerica, won the British Moto3/ MotoStar. Done some CEV races.
Six foot one and not yet 20 years old, B.P. may be a big lad, but he can ride.

Should know his way around most of the circuits visited by BSB this year.

Then maybe the Moto2 world championship in 2022

http://bikerkaz.com/dynavolt-triumph-we ... -for-2021/

https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/ro ... on-paasch/
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

The world stage is missing strong American and Japanese riders, hopefully Beaubier, Gerloff and maybe Paasch a bit later can bring the US and A up to speed. On the Japanese note I'm intrigued to see how this lad Mizuno goes in BSB..........

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I've read a bit on the new riders and returners. Hopefully we'll see them in the mix. But, my main interest is whether Glenn Irwin can do what he failed to do last year.

Apical

Post by Apical »

First round done. Three races completed. The cream rises to the top at Oulton park circuit.

Glenn Irwin Fingernails, not so great. GI completed all 3 races as did Rory Skinner. Rory's first BSB race meeting on a Superbike.

One Aussie did quite well. The Ducatis in the mix as well. One Aussie did fairly well.

Lachlan Epis not in BSB this year. He is doing the Australian superbike championship in 2021. On a Bimmer M1000

BSB moving on to Knockhill in 2 weeks time.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Well, O'Halloran couldn't have done any better! Super impressive.
I was worried for one moment when McKenzie was behind him, remembering their previous..

Brookes a bit slow to start although I think he has been in the past too.

Skinner very impressive, he was mixing with some really experienced, fast guys in his first race.

Bit of a disappointing opener for Kent, considering his pre-season testing pace.

Seemed to be a lot of people having mechanicals and retiring, which is unusual.

Of the Japanese, Takahashi was injured in training I believe. Shoulder injury and not able to move the bike about.
Not sure about Mizuno I think he was just about scraping the tail end of the points?

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I've seen the races now. I'll probably follow my pattern from previous years where I wait for the highlights to appear on TV, studiously avoiding this thread and the news.

Jason O'Hallorhan had, as mentioned, the perfect start to the year. But, last year the first race made it look as Honda might be dominant. But, things soon moved in a Ducati direction. If that happened this year, then Christian Iddon might be in a good place if Brookes doesn't get up to speed very quickly.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

Brookes is always a slow starter, usually does no harm with the showdown format. Fairly sure its a showdown year again so he'll be a threat.

Dont think any of you mentioned the impressive Peter Hickman. Lost over two stone for this season and basically said because there's no road racing this year he's putting all into the BSB title. I know he seemed to fall back after 10ish laps but said in all his post race interviews that he was suffering from arm pump. I'd love to see him win if not fight for the title, hero of mine from the Ulster GP/ TT.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Hickman is looking good in third, but it does look as if O'Halloran and Iddon are a step up at the moment. Of course, that can change quickly.

Tommy Bridewell would be further up if not for that no-score in race 2. But, I've seen quite a few years of Bridewell fighting for the podium and the occasional win, and it seems that the people at the very top change while Bridewell stays about where he is. Not a bad position to be in, but not (yet) challenging for the championship.

Good point about Brookes being a slow starter but that not mattering so much because of the showdown format. But, I checked last year and he was a much faster starter last year, apart from being knocked off his bike or falling off (I can't remember exactly who was responsible but thought it was an Irwin.)

Roll on next race.

Apical

Post by Apical »

Knockhill this weekend.

I hope the weather is good.

Apical

Post by Apical »

Seven minutes of action from Oulton park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7ODPj91g2M

Some good on-board video. I'm learning a new track.

Location; Little Budworth in Cheshire, doesn't that sound cute. Deer leap, Island bend, Knickerbrook, I like corners with names.

Knockhill could be good for young Rory Skinner.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

Went to Oulton Park for round one, it's a lovely wee circuit although at some points the fences keep you a long way from the track. The exit of Druids gives some spectacular photographs, I remember one in particular of Brookes way back in his HM Plant Honda days was incredible

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Apical wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:37 pm
Seven minutes of action from Oulton park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7ODPj91g2M

Some good on-board video. I'm learning a new track.

Location; Little Budworth in Cheshire, doesn't that sound cute. Deer leap, Island bend, Knickerbrook, I like corners with names.

Knockhill could be good for young Rory Skinner.
Looks like a good circuit, from the video I didn't notice any walls that were too close. Looks like there's a reasonable amount of professional sponsorship in BSB, must be one of the top local series world wide
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Apical

Post by Apical »

Spoiler alert

Knockhill BSB race 1 2021

https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/br ... knockhill/

Good result for Ducati, although Brookesy needs to improve if he wants to keep that number 1!

Scottish riders did well too.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

Apical wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:37 pm

One last quirky little thing about Oulton is that there's a little church just outside the circuit grounds at Druids. For that reason not a wheel turns before midday on a Sunday, leaves a tight schedule for warm ups and races!!!

Apical

Post by Apical »

More from Knockhill

https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/br ... ockhill-2/

Congratulations BMW.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I've seen the races from Knockhill now. Certainly a complete turnaround from the first weekend with O'Halloran scoring poorly apart from his 2nd place in the first race. Iddon managed a reasonable showing at both weekends and is rewarded with the championship lead. Rory Skinner looks very much to be a talent for the future.

It's going to be interesting to see how the balance changes for Brands Hatch. Perhaps Brookes will finally get his season off to a proper start.

Apical

Post by Apical »

BSB goes to Brands Hatch Gp circuit this weekend U.K. 23-25 July
That's the longer layout afaik.
Should be goood.
Go Ducati

Apical

Re: BSB 21 WATCH THIS!

Post by Apical »

Video from Knockhill. The most recent round of BSB.

https://youtu.be/bQBGQgLgodQ

Some great action from wee Knockhill circuit.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

Apical wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:36 am
BSB goes to Brands Hatch Gp circuit this weekend U.K. 23-25 July
That's the longer layout afaik.
Should be goood.
Go Ducati
Getting excited, got a Sunday ticket 8-) , although the weather forecast looks a bit iffy to say the least :o :shock:

Apical

Post by Apical »

Thruxton this weekend.

I hope Brad Jones makes a full recovery.

Apical

Post by Apical »

Friday free practice at Thruxton.
Stereotypical English summer weather, mixed, rain and sunshine, wet and dry.

https://www.britishsuperbike.com/news/2 ... t-thruxton

The usual suspects at the top. Rory Skinner "the Rookie' within 3/4 of a second.
The top 11 within one second.
A lot closer field than MotoAmerica this weekend. The top eight there spread over more than three and a quarter seconds. In qualifying!

MotoAmeria is the only other motorcycle racing this weekend. Not much else on.

Oh and the Olympics.

Apical

Post by Apical »

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I think I'm back up to speed with BSB after watching all highlights recorded on my box. Unless there's something happening this weekend.

There's certainly a fight at the top, but Iddon being taken out does not help the championship at all. At least there's the shootout equalisation coming up. So, even if O'Halloran gets a sizeable lead it will be squished.

Brookes really is doing badly. Barely getting into the points. He's going to have to do radically better than this, and not just on the occasional track, to be in the shootout at all.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

Donington national this weekend, race 1 done and dusted yesterday