BSB 2020

Talk about national motorcycle racing series: AMA, BSB, Australian or Japanese Superbikes, IDM, CIV, CEV, Irish Road Racing, TT, whatever takes your fancy.
Schwantz34

BSB 2020

Post by Schwantz34 »

BSB starting in August, six rounds with three superbike races each weekend and no showdown. Organisers hoping to allow spectators so here's hoping I can make my annual pilgrimage to Brands Hatch in October :D

Fingernails

Re: BSB 2020

Post by Fingernails »

Hmmm.... I really think that what happens that far ahead will depend on what happens in the country in terms of spread off the disease. I wouldn't book the tickets just yet.

Apical

Re: BSB 2020 Five rounds ?

Post by Apical »

Found a video from Stuart Higgs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SsWMIATa3M

Looks like five rounds planned at this stage. British talent cup racing at those 5 rounds. According to this piece from MotoGp;
https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2020/06/ ... ced/331623

It will be good IF it happens.
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

I'm pretty optimistic it'll happen, perhaps without spectators though. Hopeful that by October the virus is losing the battle :D

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Spectators or no it will be brilliant to see some of the racing again.

Looking at the line-up would have to say Brookes is going to be looking good with the absence of Redding
Iddon has his shot at it this year as his team mate
Tommy Bridewell also has to be in with a look-in, if he can just stop the odd bit of inconsistency
Do Honda have the new bike? If so the Irwin brothers might be good to watch
Finally looking forward to Bradley Ray on the BMW - a brave move to leave Suzuki but I think he has had to do something.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

Motorsport vision are saying spectators will be allowed at their tracks, as long as tickets are pre purchased. Well chuffed with that which means all rounds except Silverstone can be attended.

Thinking about trying to get to both Donington rounds, Oulton and Brands to get my live racing fix this year. Been to Snetterton before and wasn't overly impressed

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Posting from Leicester.

Are you sure this is as good a result as your post suggests?

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

I'm pleased with it Fingernails, yes. I appreciate that you and your fellow citizens are back into local lockdown and hope things work out well.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Schwantz34 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:28 pm
I'm pleased with it Fingernails, yes. I appreciate that you and your fellow citizens are back into local lockdown and hope things work out well.
My belief is that Leicester is just slightly ahead of the curve. And that all this admittedly popular easing of restrictions is going to backfire throughout the country as it has here. I'd very much like the BSB races to go ahead, and if it helps make the series more viable would pay for online day passes or similar to see the races. But, going full audience ... I'm not sure that will turn out to be the best decision when we have the clarity of hindsight.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

Any idea why Leicester would spike ahead of cities similar or bigger in size, eg London, Birmingham, Manchester, Coventry?

You are right though, perhaps when we have the benefit of hindsight the easing of restrictions may become a regret. By the same token there may be no regrets.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Schwantz34 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:13 pm
Any idea why Leicester would spike ahead of cities similar or bigger in size, eg London, Birmingham, Manchester, Coventry?

You are right though, perhaps when we have the benefit of hindsight the easing of restrictions may become a regret. By the same token there may be no regrets.
I'm not sure why Leicester has a bigger outbreak than elsewhere. With epidemics, random factors can be multiplied by exponential spread. I.e. it could just be bad luck. It only takes for there to be a few

I went into one supermarket some weeks ago and noted that the security guard was coughing open mouthed and with no mask. I heard later that quite a number of people working at that supermarket came down with covid-19. And, I wasn't surprised.

Returning to racing, I've looked with interest at how Formula One is handling things. There's certainly nowhere near complete social distancing in the pits. However, with team personnel (including drivers) it's possible to test everyone, reducing the chance of spreading infection. With fans in grandstands and around the tack, I'm not nearly so sure. It is claimed that major sporting events such as football matches were a major cause of the infection spreading widely in the UK.

We'll see what happens with the races. And all the other ways in which the infection can spread from a quite high starting point now that pubs etc. are reopening.

I do personally think that BSB should proceed with audience-free races, reduction of team personnel to essential members only, and comprehensive testing of everyone present.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Yes I agree.

I work in an industry where safety is paramount (Nuclear) and boy oh boy are the risk assessments and predictions for what is going to happen over the next few months different from what the Gov is spouting. Enforced work from home if you are able and that's likely to be at least for the rest of the year. Risk outdoors is apparently vastly reduced compared to being inside (and I can imagine bits of Donington or Thruxton being very quiet and chance to find a quiet spot) but honestly at this point why would you risk it?

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I stayed away from this thread until I'd seen the races. But I don't see any comments yet.

That Honda looks like the class of the field to me. Of course, things could change dramatically very quickly.

The Irwin brothers certainly seem to have developed a ... killer instinct.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

PS: I haven't made any predictions for the season yet, having taken my eye off the ball a bit.

After the first triple header, I'll make the not too exciting prediction that one of the Irwin brothers will take the championship. And, I think that Andrew will take it.

A second not very exciting prediction: Tommy Bridewell will beat Christian Iddon in the championship.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

I still think Brookes will take the championship, often seems steady and methodical in the early part of the season. Even although thats potentially because of the showdown I still think he'll soon become the man to beat.

The national circuit produces better racing than the GP circuit at Donington, really enjoyed races 1and2

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Last year I predicted that Brookes would win, and I was wrong. This year I'm predicting that Brookes won't win. We'll see if I'm wrong again :D

Apical

Post by Apical »

Predicting the unpredictable in a time of changes.

I would like to see Tommy Bridewell win the championship. Particularly because Tommy is riding a Ducati.

Would also be happy to see Josh Brookes win again. Because he is an Aussie on a Ducati. I expect Brookesy will gather up more points than Christian Iddon. Must admit I don't know much about C.I. and he is already a few points ahead of his team-mate.

The new blade RRRRRRRRRRRRRR seems like it may well be a very good bike. Honda seem to be serious about SBK again. At long last!

Snetterton this weekend, not the greatest layout from what I've heard.
Spell check suggests testosterone as an alternative to Snetterton, no doubt there will be plenty of that this weekend to.
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Iddon is a good rider, but I think that Brookes is better and Brookes is more used to the Ducati. Iddon is ahead of Brookes in the points, but Brookes has had a DNF and Iddon is only eight points ahead while not having had a DNF.

Bridewell is ahead of Iddon in the points, and I believe that they will end up this way. But, we'll see.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

You are right Apical, the Snetterton circuit is fairly dull. Even after it was extended it's fairly poor but hopefully more racing like a fortnight ago!!

Vmax666

Post by Vmax666 »

Good racing at the first round
Hope it continues at the second
I think bridewell will sneak it this year
the Irwins will have to many crashes
I don’t think they should have disqualified Andy from his race,Maybe a time penalty at the most

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

To be fair to the Irwins neither of them are habitual crashers. Yes Andy gets into a few bumps and scrapes but doesn't go down too much himself and Glen has calmed his style right down after stepping up from supers port.

Being a scotsman I'd like to see wee Taz Mac do well but he seems to be there some weekends and miles off others :(

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

Which Snett do they use (for non-UK peeps, there was lot of work done 8(?) years ago, which put an infield loop inside Snett. You now have 200 (old circuit), 300 (old and new), 100 (just the new - no way wil it be that))

Apical

Re: BSB 2020 S 300

Post by Apical »

They are at Snetterton300. The long circuit including the new infield section afaik. Too many first gear corners according to one source. Looks to me like there are only 2 or 3 slow corners. Some like the layout some don't. I'd like to hear what it's like from a rider.
Danny Buchan on pole for the first time in BSB. In a weekend of firsts.

Ducatis done good in race 1. Which is described as "dramatic". Seems Andrew Irwin has had a crash & the pole sitter too.

https://www.britishsuperbike.com/news/b ... ualifying/

https://www.britishsuperbike.com/news/i ... on-opener/

Brookesy & Tommy Bridewell my picks for the championship. Any Ducati rider would do.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I'm way behind on BSB. I've ended up watching the highlights when they appear on TV and I notice that they've been recorded. I'm behind on WSBK as well by a similar margin.

OK, I have seen the television coverage. The first race wasn't shown, but was won by Christian Iddon. This may be an indicator concerning my prediction that the order of the Ducati riders will be Brookes - Bridewell - Iddon. Though, with the current order being Bridewell - Iddon - Brookes after Brookes had a DNF, maybe it will head in the direction of my prediction.

After the second weekend of races, it looks much tighter between the Honda of Glenn Irwin and the Ducatis. So, an early prediction of an Irwin win may be premature. But, that never stopped me before.

Andrew Irwin is much too unreliable to win a championship right now. He needs to be more consistently good or he'll get left behind with points lost here and points lost there and so on...

It does look to be a close and potentially exciting championship. Like several others this year.
Last edited by Fingernails on Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Glenn Irwin is riding brilliantly, Andy too but also seems to be going for the record of how many riders he can knock off and penalties he can collect in a year.

Definitely still feels like the Ducati has an advantage over the other bikes, although I'm not sure what else could be done to help level the playing field a bit (or is just a result of the Paul Bird bike being so well run/funded as it has been in the past?)