The Manx Grand Prix

Talk about national motorcycle racing series: AMA, BSB, Australian or Japanese Superbikes, IDM, CIV, CEV, Irish Road Racing, TT, whatever takes your fancy.
bikermike

The Manx Grand Prix

Post by bikermike »

(and classic TT if you must...).

Bruce almighty is due a run out, Michael Dunlop is always going to be competitive. Any news/views on it.

steady away lads, steady away

AntG23985

Re: The Manx Grand Prix

Post by AntG23985 »

Sadly I can't make it over this year I love the Manx GP, probably more than I love the TT as it's just that bit less crowded.

I'm not overly keen on the Classic TT as I think it has made the Manx GP races themselves become a side show when it's their event. However I am a huge Bruce Anstey fan and looking forward to him doing well and a friend of mine Phil Crowe is running on a classic Suzuki in the Classic Superbike race, Michael Dunlop is his teammate for this event but Michael is still suffering from injuries sustained at the Southern 100 last month so I wouldn't be too surprised if he pulls out of the meeting if he feels like his body can't cope with the demands of the course after a lap or two in practice.

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

Yeah, i ran out of holiday this year. On average i marshall every other year. Agree with ypu re the classic tt.

Got a lot of time for Phil. He and Guy came to our club track day a few years ago and very politely carved their way through (Phil went past me in hall bends seemingly only on the tarmac for the two right hamd side curbs) . He won't know me, but give him my best....

Apical

Re: The Manx Grand Prix Volunteers

Post by Apical »

They are missing you bikerMike.

They need more volunteers. Interesting isn't it there is always plenty of work for volunteers, sometimes not much support.
I have been a flaggie in the past & it's good to get in for free. Marshalls get a bit closer to the action & see the racing from places ordinary punters don't get to.
But instant coffee, white bread sandwiches, cans of lolly water & a sausage don't really make up for days off work, long days at the track in all kinds of weather, keeping my first aid certification up to date, responsibilities etc.

Organizers need to do more to make it worth while being a flaggie.

Even more challenging for the Isle of Man because it is such a long circuit, 35.75 miles, 60 kilometers or so, how many corner workers do they need?
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

AntG23985

Re: The Manx Grand Prix Volunteers

Post by AntG23985 »

Apical wrote:They are missing you bikerMike.

They need more volunteers. Interesting isn't it there is always plenty of work for volunteers, sometimes not much support.
I have been a flaggie in the past & it's good to get in for free. Marshalls get a bit closer to the action & see the racing from places ordinary punters don't get to.
But instant coffee, white bread sandwiches, cans of lolly water & a sausage don't really make up for days off work, long days at the track in all kinds of weather, keeping my first aid certification up to date, responsibilities etc.

Organizers need to do more to make it worth while being a flaggie.

Even more challenging for the Isle of Man because it is such a long circuit, 35.75 miles, 60 kilometers or so, how many corner workers do they need?

530 marshals I think it is and that's bare minimum. If this was say Wednesday of practice week and they didn't have enough marshals then I think it would be a major concern but as it was so early on I don't think it is, though I heard the session would probably have been called off yesterday regardless due to the weather in the north area of the circuit.

I know 10 people who are going over today and they all marshall so there's 10 more straight away, there is the numbers on the island because they had enough for Saturday evenings session but they were around 80 short yesterday possibly due to other commitments, I'd love to be able to do both the TT and the Manx for the full fortnight but I just can't afford it and along with that I have other commitments outside of racing.

AntG23985

Post by AntG23985 »

bikermike wrote:Yeah, i ran out of holiday this year. On average i marshall every other year. Agree with ypu re the classic tt.

Got a lot of time for Phil. He and Guy came to our club track day a few years ago and very politely carved their way through (Phil went past me in hall bends seemingly only on the tarmac for the two right hamd side curbs) . He won't know me, but give him my best....
Yeah he's a good lad, puts a lot back into racing too by helping young riders, his company also sponsor the Thundersport series where he made his name too.

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

yeah, the shortage of marshals is worrying.
I shall be back to do my bit next year I hope.
It's a problem with the set-up if you work out the number of man-days needed, it's mind-boggling, and it's year-on-year not a "chance in a lifetime". The yearly lowered-tolerance for weather makes things worse too. I've said they should buy kit to allow the helicopter to land in "low-viz" conditions on the mountain (this is often the limiting factor - visibility is OK horizontal, but the cloud base is too low to land under).

And possibly no Roy Moore on the radio this year!

still, steady away lads, steady away.

AntG23985

Post by AntG23985 »

I'm not sure Roy does the Manx anymore, last time I went in 2017 it was a different commentator at the hairpin.

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

he was there on the last day of practice week last year at the hairpin, as I was there standing underneath in a fetching orange vest. Some of the large post-classics were quite alarming as they came in crossed up...