Ulster Grand Prix(Spoilers)

Talk about national motorcycle racing series: AMA, BSB, Australian or Japanese Superbikes, IDM, CIV, CEV, Irish Road Racing, TT, whatever takes your fancy.
AntG23985

Ulster Grand Prix(Spoilers)

Post by AntG23985 »

Peter Hickman is just unstoppable he's currently won 6 races at this years meeting(could be 7, next race about to begin) breaking McCallens record of 5 since 1996, a 136.4mph lap record, sensational rider.

AntG23985

Re: Ulster Grand Prix(Spoilers)

Post by AntG23985 »

That's it, 7 starts and 7 wins for Hickman this week, 5 wins in a day, a new outright lap record, brilliant.

Thursday results:

Superbike

Peter Hickman
Dean Harrison
Conor Cummins

Lightweight

Neil Kernohan
Davy Morgan
Paul Williams

Ultra-lightweight

Michal Dokoupil
Christian Elkin
Melissa Kennedy

Supersport

Peter Hickman
Lee Johnston
Dean Harrison

Supertwins

Paul Jordan
Joe Loughlin
Jamie Coward

Saturday results:

Supersport 1

Peter Hickman
Lee Johnston
Davey Todd

Superstock

Peter Hickman
Davey Todd
Conor Cummins

Superbike 1

Peter Hickman
Dean Harrison
Conor Cummins

Supertwin

Christian Elkin
Joe Loughlin
Lee Johnston

Supersport 2

Peter Hickman
Lee Johnston
Conor Cummins

Superbike 2

Peter Hickman
Dean Harrison
Conor Cummins

Vmax666

Post by Vmax666 »

He is definitely fast whether on roads or tracks
Would love to see him have a one off on a MotoGP bike. Don’t expect he would be in the top 15 but I think he would show a decent turn of speed

AntG23985

Post by AntG23985 »

He didn't do too badly on that one off ride in SBK the other week, 7th he got, qualified 4th. I wouldn't bet against him getting a point in a MotoGP race even though he's a bit tall for a MotoGP bike.

He reminds me a lot of David Jefferies, he seems to ooze natural ability and just seems fast whatever and wherever he rides.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

Have either of you been over to the Ulster? Can't recommend it highly enough, several incredible spots to watch including Flying Kilo, Dears Leap, Pullits Gate and maybe less so the exit of Loughers/ approach to Joey's Windmill.

AntG23985

Post by AntG23985 »

Schwantz34 wrote:Have either of you been over to the Ulster? Can't recommend it highly enough, several incredible spots to watch including Flying Kilo, Dears Leap, Pullits Gate and maybe less so the exit of Loughers/ approach to Joey's Windmill.
No I'd love to though, been to the North West 200(never again) and Skerries(great event), the biggest problem for me with regards to the Ulster is that it falls very close to the Manx GP which I tend to go to every year(though I have missed the last 2 years for certain reasons)

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

Been to the NW200 a couple of times too, what was it puts you off going back?

Not sure where you stay but from the central belt in Scotland you can do the Saturday of the Ulster GP in a day fairly easily. Belfast International is a 10 min drive from the circuit and Easyjet fly from Glasgow and Edinburgh early morning on Sat and back later. I reckon it costs me £100 for the day including flights, admission, food ( MandS food at airport petrol station) and hire car ( cost split between me and one other).

Not sure if you can lend any advice about the TT. I'm looking to go next year and trying to sort homestay but after sending a pile of e mails to hundreds of folk advertising on the homestay website I've had virtually no replies :(

AntG23985

Post by AntG23985 »

Quite a lot of trouble makers around when I went a couple of years ago who apparently were locals, various things such as aggressive behaviour in bars, they kicked over a load of bikes with ROI plates on. Then at the event itself there was gestapo like security ranting and raving at you, I can't even remember who won any of the races that year that's how memorable it was. Not a pleasant experience.

Unfortunately I can't offer any advice on homestay for the TT as I always camp over there, costs £12 per night where I stay though saying that I am trying to get onto a nearby campsite which I think is the same price(may even be cheaper) because this years TT was the final straw, long days out marshalling and you can't sleep at night because of the noise until 3 or 4 in the morning and the biggest culprit is a member of staff, getting pissed, shouting and screaming at the top of his voice.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

Yeah, I went this year and there was a mass brawl on the train which spilled on to the platform in Ballymoney of all places. I almost missed my flight home because the train was held for so long. The time I'd gone before was spent about the coast road so this year I stayed out in the country to watch at Station Corner, Black bridge, Ballysally roundabout etc. I think watching " out in the country" keeps you away from all the bampots.

I can assure you the Ulster is totally different, more for the purist and because the whole circuit is out in the sticks there are no pubs anywhere near and I've never seen anyone with a carry out.

AntG23985

Post by AntG23985 »

Sadly there's rumours circulating from people more in the know than me that the Ulster may well be finished, I know they've been struggling for a long time now.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

No way, I'd be gutted

AntG23985

Post by AntG23985 »

Schwantz34 wrote:No way, I'd be gutted
I'm hoping it's just tittle tattle but ever since the meeting was totally washed out in 2008 they've been struggling to keep it running and there wasn't a big turnout this year due to the weather.

I'd like to see them(and any other club for that matter) set up a Go Fund Me page so that people can donate towards the running of the event, on the UGP's Facebook page alone there are around 38,500 followers so if you could get on average £5 per person that raises a total in excess of £190,000 before you even account for program sales and sponsorship from companies, even if you only raise half that amount in that way it would probably be sufficient enough to run the event once you've got the sponsorship money and program money.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

You pay to watch at the Ulster, at each access road there's someone selling wristbands at £30 a go. I honestly don't mind paying but I see there was a hoo ha about how government money was spent this year. Apparently they were granted this money to improve safety and a large chunk was spent on improvements to a club house. I think the organisers claimed that in their application the money wasn't solely for safety, who knows what the truth is!!

It would be a travesty if the event fell through so if it runs in 2020 you need to go :D

AntG23985

Post by AntG23985 »

Schwantz34 wrote:You pay to watch at the Ulster, at each access road there's someone selling wristbands at £30 a go. I honestly don't mind paying but I see there was a hoo ha about how government money was spent this year. Apparently they were granted this money to improve safety and a large chunk was spent on improvements to a club house. I think the organisers claimed that in their application the money wasn't solely for safety, who knows what the truth is!!

It would be a travesty if the event fell through so if it runs in 2020 you need to go :D
It was over improving showers and toilets I think which you could argue is a safety issue but in a different way, besides there's only so safe you can make a road race. I know you pay to watch but for those of us road race enthusiasts who can't attend the event it would be good if we could send a bit of money their way.

I do think one of the biggest issues some of these events are facing now is the weather, poor weather can result in these events not going ahead and the forecast for the Saturday at the Ulster was terrible so I reckon a lot of people didn't bother going in case it didn't happen. I believe Cookstown suffered from a low attendance this year too because the forecast was dreadful.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

Yeah, the forecast for the Ulster went from terrible a week before to ok the night before to being terrible until mid afternoon on the day. Kept the locals away but when you've flown over then you're going no matter what!!

Sadly injury and the awfully high fatality rate last year at other events, particularly amongst top riders has curtailed the grid somewhat. I don't know if some are put off with sparse grid numbers too.

It'll take a while but really need some challenge to Hicky the master

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

Word is spreading to the various websites now, I'd be truly gutted if the event folds :cry:

AntG23985

Post by AntG23985 »

You'd like to think the Northern Ireland government would step in seeing as they have no issues giving money to eejits to have bonfires while getting pissed and causing general mayhem. Maybe they'd give money to an event which brings positive behaviour and tourism to the area.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

Surely Red Bull could be lured into sponsoring it as the world's fastest road race, get one over on it's main rival Monster.

The Ulster suffers from a number of cons though including a secluded location, poor general wet climate and being at the end of the season. I think being the last big race has an effect as riders suffer injury throughout the year eg Hutchison and Dunlop were ruled out this year.
Sadly as I said earlier a fair number of top guys have been killed/ suffered career threatening injury in the last few years eg Dan Kneen, William Dunlop, James Cowton, Ivan Lintin. This has really curtailed the grid numbers and leads to a fair few races being strung out affairs, usually with Hickman galloping away!! Fine if you're there and watching but really doesn't make good watching for TV and if it doesn't attract a TV audience then sponsorship will be even harder to come by

I'm going to ask Santa to make sure it doesn't disappear ;)

AntG23985

Post by AntG23985 »

That's another good point, the field at the Ulster has thinned out quite a lot over the last few years with the tragic losses and injuries, not to mention some riders who used to do the Ulster like Guy Martin, Cameron Donald and James Hillier no longer taking part, McGuinness hasn't done it for a few years either, not to mention Bruce Anstey missing it due to illness. A part of me wonders if some top riders are missing it to save themselves for the Classic TT. The thing is though with a lot of the road racers is that their priority is the TT so once that's over some seemingly go into hibernation for the rest of the year, other than the Classic TT I'm not sure Hillier races anywhere after the TT is over.

It is no surprise that they can't find a major title sponsor, some companies don't want their brand associated with such a dangerous event, remember back in the 90's when JPS pulled their sponsorship of the Norton team because "we don't want to be associated with death" a bit rich coming from a cigarette company I know.

Nice to see you mention Ivan Lintin by the way, I watched an interview he did with Ant Middleton the other day and he is on the mend, I get the impression from the interview that he'll never race again though. Fair play to the lad though, he started out racing as a 21 year old for a bit of fun and ended up with TT, North West and Ulster GP wins to his name among other achievements.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

Ant, you heard any more about Ulster or not this year? The more time goes on the more I'm worried it's done

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

Any word Ant? James Courtney was on BBC news on 6th Feb saying there was only a few weeks to make or break it, we're now 5weeks after!!!

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

I read today clerk of the course Noel Johnston has resigned, he believes under the right management the race can continue and if that happens wouldn't rule out a return. Suggests to me he has no faith in the current management team

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

Officially cancelled this year :( , hopefully the current crisis abates and we can cracking on in 2021

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Is the 2019 Irish Road Racing series available to watch online anywhere? I've done a bit of a google but haven't found it.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

I’ve seen these in highlight shows, either under “Bikes!” on BBC, or “King of the Roads” which can see maybe on ITV4 or Motorsport TV.

I put some links below that may help. Have a look at greenlighttv and their twitter feed as they are behind producing many of these events.

https://motorsport.tv/channel/road-racing/281

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00kj9 ... odes/guide

http://greenlight.tv/brochure/

https://mobile.twitter.com/greenlight_t ... ight.tv%2F