British Superbikes 2019

Talk about national motorcycle racing series: AMA, BSB, Australian or Japanese Superbikes, IDM, CIV, CEV, Irish Road Racing, TT, whatever takes your fancy.
Fingernails

British Superbikes 2019

Post by Fingernails »

We seem to be re-using old threads rather than making new ones. Who knows what people here will decide to do, but I create this fresh new thread and we'll see which thread people choose to post in :)

The Ducati V4 has proved fragile and far from dominating in BSB. While a single weekend doesn't tell us everything, the Yamahas in particular are looking good, and Suzuki is there or thereabouts. It looks as if the regulations are doing their job and there will be a wide range of manufacturers winning races this year.

The commentators said that the BMW RR of Christian Iddon was near stock. If that's the case, then it's impressive that a near stock bike can be competitive. Comments?

Apical

Re: British Superbikes 2019

Post by Apical »

Yes, you are correct Fingernails, so go ahead & make new ones.
Who knows.
Good on you Fingernails.
Yeah Ducati, Scott Redding, Josh Brookes, Tommy Bridewell... Forza Ducati!!
Yes, first round, short track, etc. Don't tell us a whole lot. I don't know jack about the track, seems like you don't need huge amounts of power.
Yamaha & Suzuki Yes! looking good as of last Sunday in Silverspoon. Honda also not too bad.
Regs, so far so good.
Christian Iddon & the BMW are impressive, no doubt!
Next round Oulton Park 4-6 May.
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

Vmax666

Post by Vmax666 »

The ducati is starting to look very fast. Brooks made qualifying quite dull. Setting times early in the sessions and others struggling to get anywhere near him
BRIDEWELL also looking fast
Listening to Scott saying he was quite scared at first but is now getting used to blind corners and likes riding the track shows how honest he is as a rider
The bmw is starting to look better. I hope Hickman has a great race near the front
The Honda looks really poor ( same as in wsbk) which is a shame
Don’t know what is wrong with Bradley Ray. Haven’t seen any of the sparkle seen early last year and the rest of the Suzuki’s seem to be doing a ok job
The same with Glenn Irwin. In last years winning team and looks really slow and unhappy

Roll on the races today

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Well, that was a comeback from Brooks and Ducati. I'm back to listing him as my favourite for the title this year.

Apical

Re: British Superbikes 2019 Donington

Post by Apical »

Free practice Friday, close at the top.

Ducatis going well, Scott Redding fastest in fp1 then Brookesy.

Keith Farmer quickest in fp2 on the BMW. then Brookes, Redding & Tommy Bridewell, all Ducatis. then Hector Barbera, remember him?

The top 18 within 0.9 seconds, that's close!

Be wiser Ducati looking good.

Bradley Ray 13th in fp1 & fp2
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

Apical

Post by Apical »

Another different winner in BSB this year, Scott Redding. Josh Brookes took pole position, both on Be Wiser Ducatis.

Qualifying was quite close, the top nine within six tenths of a second.

Don't know what happened to Brookesy, hes not in the results that I've seen. Update; Looks like he had a big crash. From 5 races JB has two wins & 3 DNFs!

Tarran Mackenzie was 2nd in the race & takes the lead in the championship on the McAMS Yamaha.

Xavi Fores on the podium in 3rd.

Tommy Bridewell 4th on the Oxford racing Ducati, Second in the chip.

Jason O'Halloran 5th on the other McAMS Yamaha.

Hector Barbera 6th on a Kawasaki.

Vmax666

Post by Vmax666 »

Great racing today
Redding winning a Tripple was great to watch, great to see him happy
Forest amazing on a generally un competitive Honda
Bridewell looking fast
Mckenzie going well

Maybe I am biased being british but watching bsb without electronic rider aids is always good. Always closer racing than wsbk. And showing any of the manufacturers can mix it at the front
And for me as enjoyable as MotoGP

Now looking forward to the tt

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Josh Brookes looking fast in FP2, with Redding second. Christian Iddon very impressive in third, incredibly close to Redding.

First Kawasakis in 10th and 11th. Not so impressive. But, it's only FP.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Looks like I may be talking to myself :)

Great weekend from Brookes, and also well done by Bridewell. The less said about Redding's race 1 the better, but at least he stayed on. Interesting to note that both Bridewell and Brookes beat him fair and square in the dry in race 2.

This season is looking quite interesting.

Apical

Post by Apical »

Hello fingernails.
You are not talking to yourself. I've been reading.
I've been unable to post for a few weeks
Since I left home & traveled to Europe.
Yes the Ducatis look good in BSB.
Josh Brookes won all 3 at Brands Hatch. He is going well since he lost the waxed moustache.
I was lucky enough to talk to Tommy Bridewell at Jerez.
He is riding well, the Oxford racing Moto Rapido V4R is going good.
I think riding in WSBK has been good for T.B.46

Apical

Post by Apical »

All the ducks, Scott Redding, Joshua Brookes & Tommy Bridewell are riding well, getting good results & dominating at the top of the championship.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Thanks Apical.

I think this season is going to be exciting, and would have been even without the artificial levelling in the shootout. Whose turn will it be to dominate next weekend?

Three Ducatis in the series, and they're first, second, and third in the championship. Though, they probably wouldn't be if Tarran MacKenzie hadn't had his accident. Given how well Linfoot went, I'm sure MacKenzie would have been in the mix.

Vmax666

Post by Vmax666 »

Realy good to see a small privateer team leading the championship
It’s easy to think that the ducati is dominating. But the other teams are the ones struggling
Kawasaki are missing Haslam
Suzuki and ray has got lost somewhere over the last 6 months
The yamaha is a good package. McKenzie crashing and missing the races is the only reason they were not near the front. Although o’halaran looks average after a great pre season where he looked like he would dominate. Unless he is carrying a injury from the first round
Bmw. In my mind just haven’t picked a championship winning rider. Yes hicky is grood but not consistent. Iddon the same

But the good news for them is the showdown
Once in there and having developed for the season anything can happen

Apical

Post by Apical »

Knockhill at the end of June.
I hope the weather is good. I've heard that it can be cold.
One of the shorter of the short circuits.
I've only ever seen it on TV.
At least there is plenty of up and down

Hoping for good races.
Would be great to see Tarran Mackenzie & Rory Skinner (600) do well.
Best of luck to all the riders.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Apical wrote:Knockhill at the end of June.
I hope the weather is good. I've heard that it can be cold.
One of the shorter of the short circuits.
I've only ever seen it on TV.
At least there is plenty of up and down

Hoping for good races.
Would be great to see Tarran Mackenzie & Rory Skinner (600) do well.
Best of luck to all the riders.
I live a couple of hours drive north of Knockhill, I wouldn't be too concerned about it being cold in June, it's more the potential for showers of rain on and off... the weather can change very quickly.

I personally like the chicane after the start/finish for viewing, but the hairpin final corner is pretty unique and much steeper than you'd imagine... there's usually plenty of drama there.

Honestly, I think the rest of the track is pretty bland, but worth a visit - unfortunatly I won't be there this year, it was a cracking day last year.

Apical

Post by Apical »

Thanks Tourn46

I'll follow it on the web

Hopefully the Dukes won't win everything.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Interesting analysis and opinion everyone.

I don't mind if the Ducs win everything as long as we get some exciting races between them. If other manufacturers are there: bonus!

Vmax666

Post by Vmax666 »

I think the Ducati’s have the best riders this year
With the exception of Mckenzie who is riding great

It’s easy to be a critic of ducati but Paul bird puts a lot into racing and has for quite some years,Which is why he has the best team. The other teams have just not signed the right riders, except Oxford ducati of course
As mentioned above as long as the racing is good it doesn’t matter which manufacturer wins although we all have our favourites
Which is why I like the showdown. It lets riders have a bad day but overall if they are good enough they will still be in with a shout at the end of the year

Apical

Post by Apical »

Xavi Fores on pole at Knockhill.
Ducatis miles off the pace
Wet weather and cold with it on Saturday.
Today don't know, cold & cloudy 16 in Dunfermline.
My friend the Scot says Knockhill is colder than Dunfermline!

Apical

Post by Apical »

Congratulations Danny Buchan first at Knockhill!
Scott Redding second, Xavi Fores third after starting from pole. Iddon 4th, Bridewell 5th, Bradley Ray sixth.
Luke Mossey 7th, Josh Brookes 8th.

Vmax666

Post by Vmax666 »

Good second race well done Scott
And to think many people thought he would struggle in bsb
Looking forward to seeing him at Caldwell
Shame for buchan although i think Scott would still have won it would have been nice to see a fight to the end

I’d like to see a change of the support classes
Maybe ditch Supersport as not all manufacturers are still making competitive bikes and replace with a version of moto2
I know Motostar is changing to merge with the british talent cup but the intermediate class needs to change. For me a mixed class of moto2 and Supersport is confusing

AntG23985

Post by AntG23985 »

Vmax666 wrote:Good second race well done Scott
And to think many people thought he would struggle in bsb
Looking forward to seeing him at Caldwell
Shame for buchan although i think Scott would still have won it would have been nice to see a fight to the end

I’d like to see a change of the support classes
Maybe ditch Supersport as not all manufacturers are still making competitive bikes and replace with a version of moto2
I know Motostar is changing to merge with the british talent cup but the intermediate class needs to change. For me a mixed class of moto2 and Supersport is confusing
The thing that's surprising me is that he's doing better on the nadgery short tracks like Knockhill and Donington National and not quite as fast on long fast circuits like Oulton Park which I thought would suit a GP rider.

It's been a strange season so far though as some riders that you would expect to be running at the sharp end aren't for whatever reason, so far it's been an utter disaster for BMW riders, not only are the new bikes riddled with problems the Tyco team lost both riders due to broken legs this weekend Bradley Ray is having a nightmare of a season so far and Ray's engine blow up yesterday must have been terrifying for Peter Hickman who was right behind him when it went bang. Glenn Irwins move to Kawasaki has seemingly fallen flat as well.

AntG23985

Post by AntG23985 »

Look at this a 1:45, I'd have had a little accident in my leathers if I were Hicky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZkeyou8O7U

:o

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

It was great to see Danny Buchan win his first race. I am ashamed to admit that I wasn't really following him in previous years. With rider changes it looks as if Kawasaki is having a rebuilding year, but Buchan looks like, if machinery allows, that he could be right in the title hunt next year. Will the levelling effect of the shootout give him a chance this year? The Ducati is maybe a bit strong for that. How does FS3 Racing compare to JG Speedfit as a team and access to the best/latest bikes bits?

Scott Redding now leads the championship. If I remember correctly, even those who predicted a Redding championship said that he just had to stay in touch until the shootout, then have a better shot with more experience of the bikes and the tracks. It's starting to look like he doesn't even need to wait that long. It's not just that he's scored the points - I've only seen highlights so far so may have missed some racing that disproves my point - he just looked so comfortable slicing down the inside past racers who are no slouches, and on a slightly damp track in the first race. I don't know what caused Ducati's qualifying woes, but a second in the first race itself looked like massive damage limitation given the qualifying position. Let alone the win in the second race. He just looks 'on it'. Of course, Brookes was 'on it' last time out, so perhaps we're going to see some see-sawing between them through the season.

If Scott takes the BSB championship this year, any chance that he could then go to WSBK and replace Chaz Davies?

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Fingernails wrote:If Scott takes the BSB championship this year, any chance that he could then go to WSBK and replace Chaz Davies?
I was thinking the same question. What contracts do Scott and Chaz have?
My signature isn't particularly interesting