Australian SBK 2016

Talk about national motorcycle racing series: AMA, BSB, Australian or Japanese Superbikes, IDM, CIV, CEV, Irish Road Racing, TT, whatever takes your fancy.

Australian SBK 2016

Postby danwilliams on Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:59 am

Australian Superbike. Basically it has been in turmoil the past 5yrs being split eventually into 2 different series & it has not worked.

Some light may finally be shining on Australian motorcycle road racing at the top level. This is very early days, but i've got my fingers crossed.
I am very impressed with the summer racing idea as this free's the guys up for possible rides in Europe.
We have some great talent here, however the ROAD to a quality series(such as BSB) with a competent winning team is very hard & maybe impossible for many youngsters, it cost $$$$$$$$

http://www.asbk.com.au/news/ma-announce ... 2016-2019/
danwilliams

Re: Australian SBK 2016

Postby JanBros on Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:08 pm

I tinck Piterson and Bruce are fuckbudies :lol:
Bi-stroker Parallelus Bi-cylindricus
JanBros

Postby Kropotkin on Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:33 pm

Well spotted. Banned and deleted.
--
http://www.motomatters.com/ - MotoGP News, Analysis and Race Reports
Kropotkin
Site Admin

Postby simidau on Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:46 am

This year is looking good for the Australian Road Racing scene! It will be interesting to see if they go with the summer series idea now they have changed this years calendar to be more spread out. It looks like things will continue more traditionally. If the racing continues like it did in the combined ASBK/WSBK event then the future is looking decent!
simidau

Postby Apical on Sat May 27, 2017 10:45 pm

Re Australian superbikes 2017

Still split and fragmented. Hard to follow and some dates have been changed recently.

ASBK, Swann Series, Formula Extreme, three different websites at least. although two of them seem to be very similar.

Motorcycling Australia (MA) does a fairly good job but their website is not that great either. so it can be hard to follow what is going on.
Race results take a long time to become available.

Which makes it challenging to try & organize to go to the track and watch it live. This year the races are shown on television plus live streaming on the web. so why go to the track ?

I am sure the above could all be done better to improve road racing in Oz... But it has not happened yet.
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
Apical

Postby Mikesbytes on Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:38 pm

Apical this was discussed on MCnews forums (now defunked) a couple of years ago and one of the series runners posted about the difficulty of getting the series combined, an interesting read at the time. The best they achieved was to remove the date clashes so it was possible to enter both series.

A long time ago when I was a young man I use to go to the races at the 3 race tracks in Sydney;
1. Amroo park (now sprouting houses). Unfortunately I witnessed the death of the lady racer. I also competed on the hill climb course on an old RD350 (air cooled) and sucked big time.
2. Oran park (also now spouting houses I think). It was great to sit on the final corner coming onto the straight.
3. Eastern creek. Saw Cagiva finally take a win back in the 500cc days before the Aussie GP got moved to PI. In more recent years I've raced a pushbike on the track and got a greater appreciation of how the track would of worked if I hit it on a motorbike, for example there's a groove on turn 2 and I wondered what would happen if you hit it. The motorbike riders I know who have done the circuit have told me that it isn't an issue.
My signature isn't particularly interesting
Mikesbytes

Postby Fingernails on Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:15 pm

Mikesbytes wrote:1. I also competed on the hill climb course on an old RD350 (air cooled) and sucked big time.

Was that the old RD350 you had at home that caught fire and was rebuilt? Or was that another one?
Fingernails

Postby Mikesbytes on Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:20 am

Fingernails wrote:
Mikesbytes wrote:1. I also competed on the hill climb course on an old RD350 (air cooled) and sucked big time.

Was that the old RD350 you had at home that caught fire and was rebuilt? Or was that another one?

Different one
Mikesbytes

Hi MikesBytes ASBK @ P.I. this weekend

Postby Apical on Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:15 am

Hello MikesBytes. G'day. we must have been at Amaroo on the same day, Back in 1984 I was racing 250 proddy. Jane Litterick crashed at Ron Hodgson corner. R.I.P. only the good die young. That still spins me out. yeah man I have raced at those three tracks. Oran park was good when the surface was OK. At times it was crap. with potholes & patches of bitumen & concrete. Amaroo was fun, rather scary on a fast bike. Just filth on a 125, 250 or 350. A Kawasaki z650 had the outright lap record for a while. I was faster on my "production" rz250 than improved 350s with trick exhausts & big carbs etc.
Eastern Crick/WSMSP Meh. it is better than no circuit at all. Owned & run by car people. Nuff sed.

Aussie superbike on at Phillip Island this weekend. And on the tele ! Free to air!!
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
Apical

Postby Mikesbytes on Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:14 am

Hi Apical, I was a spectator on the hill where most spectators were. Unfortunately I was looking directly at Jane Litterick when she came off. Seemed a normal enough crash simply a case of a barrier with no run off. Such a waste. Subsequently the owner of the circuit wasn't interested in improving the safety on that corner so the alteration was funded by someone in the motorcycle community. Nowadays its a housing estate.

I never raced on any of the circuits however I have pushbike raced on Eastern Creek raceway and time trialed pushbike on a combination Eastern Creek raceway / Eastern Creek drag way, so I've had a closer look at that track than most arm chair experts. Managed to stay upright, but twice only just :shock:
Mikesbytes

Re: Australian SBK 2017

Postby Apical on Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:45 pm

Josh Waters is the Australian superbike champion. Congratulations Suzuki !
Apical

Postby Apical on Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:28 pm

Not much happening on here. There has been a bit happening on the track. I was lucky enough to ride to Phillip island for the first round of WSBK & ASBK.
Also traveled to the new circuit "the Bend" at Tailem bend (a bend in the Murray river) South Australia. It's a very good facility. Dry as a chip at the moment despite a little rain on Friday night.
Apical

Postby Mikesbytes on Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:38 am

Apart from PI the ASBK series is on youtube
Mikesbytes

Return to National Series