IOM TT 2015 (SPOILERS)

Talk about national motorcycle racing series: AMA, BSB, Australian or Japanese Superbikes, IDM, CIV, CEV, Irish Road Racing, TT, whatever takes your fancy.

IOM TT 2015 (SPOILERS)

Postby AntG on Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:12 pm

Bruce Anstey picked up his 10th win at the TT this afternoon his first on a superbike, Ian Hutchinson was the pace setter in the early laps until Bruce reeled him in leaving Hutchy in a good second place on his Kawasaki, Michael Dunlop was running in 3rd hampered by 2 long pit stops when on the final lap on the run to the grandstand and on course for a sub-lap record lap he collided with the bike of a fallen backmarker at the Nook which brought out a red flag. Only 6 riders finished the race due to the flag.

1. Bruce Anstey
2. Ian Hutchinson
3. James Hillier
4. John McGuinness
5. William Dunlop
6. Michael Rutter

Michael Dunlop was observed limping but nothing broken, not heard so far how the rider he collided with is, Gary Johnson had an off at Guthries but is OK, Guy Martin retired at Ballagarey on lap 1.

Great day for Bruce, the shock for me though was how far off the pace John McGuinness was.
AntG

Re: IOM TT 2015 (SPOILERS)

Postby Cobbett on Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:50 pm

AntG wrote: Michael Dunlop was observed limping but nothing broken, not heard so far how the rider he collided with is

It was Scott Wilson. Broken clavicle.

AntG wrote: the shock for me though was how far off the pace John McGuinness was.

Absolutely. I didn't see that coming: all the evidence was that he was in much better condition than last year, when he hadn't recovered from the broken scaphoid etc, and was one of the pace-setters. Esp/y given that he's less competitive on the smaller bikes today was a shock. I've been wondering if we were going to hear that he had some issue, but I've not heard owt.
Cobbett

Postby AntG on Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:50 pm

Hutchy is back!

Took the win in the first supersport race today ahead of Bruce Anstey and Gary Johnson.

The Birchall brothers won the sidecar race earlier today.
AntG

Postby Cobbett on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:53 am

It's wonderful re Hutchy. I confess I couldn't see it coming in recent years but he has ridden like a man possessed this week. Especially given the circumstances in which he got a late substitute ride it's a really feelgood story.

Note that William Dunlop is out for the week having crashed heavily at Laurel Bank and broken one or more ribs. (Guy is taking his TT Zero mount.)
Cobbett

Postby smAshmoto on Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:31 am

Hutchy does it again in Superstock!

Love that bloke, only one person I enjoy seeing do well more and that's Guy Martin.

Speaking of Guy, what happened to the rumours that he was apparently retiring?
"Troubled childhood? If you call being a 9 year old kid with a 35 year old girlfriend troubled."

-Chaz Michael Michaels, ice devouring sex tornado
smAshmoto

Postby Cobbett on Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:02 am

smAshmoto wrote: Speaking of Guy, what happened to the rumours that he was apparently retiring?

A press creation really. You know what he's like in terms of winging it in interviews. He said something like "I never know what I'm doing from one year to the next, this year might be my last" and suddenly it was 'Martin announces retirement'.
Cobbett

Postby smAshmoto on Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:57 am

McGuinness does it again.

Amazing sounding race, great to see Guy & J-McG crack the 132mph mark (I wonder if Mike Hailwood and Joey Dunlop would have ever thought that would've happened?)

Any more news on Jamie Hamilton? A report I saw on twitter from someone trackside said he lost control after wheelieing out of a corner and tankslapped down the road. Bike burst into flames too apparently, hence the road sweeper. There was also rumours of a second bike involved, but I haven't heard any more.
"Troubled childhood? If you call being a 9 year old kid with a 35 year old girlfriend troubled."

-Chaz Michael Michaels, ice devouring sex tornado
smAshmoto

Postby MiniNinjaMk5 on Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:16 pm

That ride by McGuinness was absolutely incredible, he looked like he was absolutely on the edge.

Think that was a surprise to a lot of the punditts following the show!

smAshmoto wrote:McGuinness does it again.

Amazing sounding race, great to see Guy & J-McG crack the 132mph mark (I wonder if Mike Hailwood and Joey Dunlop would have ever thought that would've happened?)

Any more news on Jamie Hamilton? A report I saw on twitter from someone trackside said he lost control after wheelieing out of a corner and tankslapped down the road. Bike burst into flames too apparently, hence the road sweeper. There was also rumours of a second bike involved, but I haven't heard any more.

'Critical but stable' apparently, not thought to be life threatening which is great news
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/northern-ireland/33133648
MiniNinjaMk5

Postby Cobbett on Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:31 pm

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote: That ride by McGuinness was absolutely incredible, he looked like he was absolutely on the edge.

I was absolutely astounded, though in a pleasant way - I've always rooted for him (and was in the Grandstand when he won the Senior in 2013). Despite his obvious pedigree I don't think anyone saw that coming, because he was so off the pace - about a minute behind even in the Superstock and Superbike classes which favour his size. Even his winning on the Mugen didn't look like an augury, because it's a niche class. But in hindsight it was obviously critical: (as Plater has emphasised on the coverage more than once) he's a confidence rider, and beating Bruce on the same equipment gave him a large dose.

I agree about his being visibly on the edge. Like a lot of the quick riders around there he always looks so smooth and fluid, and they often say that the faster you try to go the slower the time. But his braking was super-late and the thing was moving under him more than I've seen. As he said, he elected to trust it. Boy what a race.
Cobbett

Postby AntG on Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:15 pm

McGuinness is like an old prizefighter the cheer he got as he passed us at quarterbridge after his lap record was incredible.

The speeds they are hitting now are incredible four riders setting laps inside of Ansteys outright lap record! I get the feeling it would have been 5 had Hutchy not ran on at signpost.
AntG

Postby AntG on Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:27 pm

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:That ride by McGuinness was absolutely incredible, he looked like he was absolutely on the edge.

smAshmoto wrote:McGuinness does it again.

'Critical but stable' apparently, not thought to be life threatening which is great news
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/northern-ireland/33133648

He's still very poorly I believe though.
AntG

Return to National Series