Michael Dunlop to Yamaha

Talk about national motorcycle racing series: AMA, BSB, Australian or Japanese Superbikes, IDM, CIV, CEV, Irish Road Racing, TT, whatever takes your fancy.

Michael Dunlop to Yamaha

Postby AntG on Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:58 pm

AntG

Re: Michael Dunlop to Yamaha

Postby kenup283 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:50 pm

He will also be part of Yamaha's Endurance World Championship team and is set to compete at selected rounds of the series including Le Mans and the Bol d'Or.

And this nugget is potentially the biggest news. A couple years back MD stood in on the Honda legends world endurance team and was a standout. Hooking up with Yamaha looks to be a way of testing the waters on the short circuits again.
kenup283

Postby AntG on Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:10 am

Michael is pretty handy on short circuits, it's just that he rarely does them, he was going well at Brands last year in qualifying until he bust his arm and like you say when he did the TT Legends endurance races he was consistently the fastest of the team and they were full time short circuit riders.
AntG

Postby Grahluk on Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:05 am

Well enough driven & talented but I wonder how far that could take him. He's a bit stout of stature for the top international series. Could probably do well in WSBK but I would fear he's a few stone too much ballast for GP's.
Grahluk

Postby AntG on Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:48 pm

He is a bloody big guy that's for sure, fitting that his MD Racing logo is a bull.

I'm interested to see how this new R1 goes, the previous model has shown some speed in recent years but seemed unreliable and Hutchy looked all over the place on it at last years TT.

Any news on whether this is just a one rider set up or do they have another rider already? I know Hutchy has left for PBM Kawasaki and Brookes isn't doing the roads this year.
AntG

Postby Cobbett on Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:22 pm

AntG wrote: when he did the TT Legends endurance races he was consistently the fastest of the team and they were full time short circuit riders.

Well not really full-time short circuit riders - McGuinness isn't, Rutter does BSB/lots of roads, Andrews was then I think full time shorts. But I completely agree, he was the standout.
Cobbett

Postby Cobbett on Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:24 pm

AntG wrote: Hutchy looked all over the place on it at last years TT.

Absolutely agree. I don't really rate myself a sufficiently good observer to note what's going on with bikes most of the time, but the handling of that Yam looked all over the place.
Cobbett

Postby AntG on Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:39 pm

Cobbett wrote:
AntG wrote: when he did the TT Legends endurance races he was consistently the fastest of the team and they were full time short circuit riders.

Well not really full-time short circuit riders - McGuinness isn't, Rutter does BSB/lots of roads, Andrews was then I think full time shorts. But I completely agree, he was the standout.

Ah, I thought McGuinness was doing the British Superstock championship full time back then, unless he's cut down on his racing in his advanced years.
AntG

Postby MiniNinjaMk5 on Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:15 pm

Grahluk wrote:Well enough driven & talented but I wonder how far that could take him. He's a bit stout of stature for the top international series. Could probably do well in WSBK but I would fear he's a few stone too much ballast for GP's.

I thought he had lost a hell of a lot of weight for the last TT? Of course, haven't seen him recently so he may have added ballast over the Xmas hols..
MiniNinjaMk5

Postby AntG on Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:29 pm

He's still a naturally big lad though, bit like DJ was.
AntG

Postby Cobbett on Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:56 am

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:
Grahluk wrote:Well enough driven & talented but I wonder how far that could take him. He's a bit stout of stature for the top international series. Could probably do well in WSBK but I would fear he's a few stone too much ballast for GP's.

I thought he had lost a hell of a lot of weight for the last TT? Of course, haven't seen him recently so he may have added ballast over the Xmas hols..

From memory he lost a lot of weight for 2013 - very noticeably - then was rounder again last year.
Cobbett

Postby AntG on Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:50 am

Michael has now split from Yamaha and will do the rest of the TT for Buildbase BMW.
AntG

Postby Cobbett on Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:33 am

AntG wrote:Michael has now split from Yamaha and will do the rest of the TT for Buildbase BMW.

An amazing saga. He's waiting for one of Kiyo's BSB bikes to rock up on the ferry!
Cobbett

Return to National Series