TT 2014

Talk about national motorcycle racing series: AMA, BSB, Australian or Japanese Superbikes, IDM, CIV, CEV, Irish Road Racing, TT, whatever takes your fancy.

TT 2014

Postby AntG on Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:58 am

Looks hot this year, McGuinness and Cummins on Honda, Anstey with Padgetts, Michael Dunlop with BMW, William Dunlop and Guy Martin with Suzuki, Hutchinson and Brookes with Yamaha, Cam Donald on Norton, Rutter on BMW, Gary Johnson on Honda/Triumph. Plus Keith Amor and Ryan Farquhar are returning, rising star Hillier will be there plus other promising riders like Dean Harrison.

Anybody attending? I'm going for the first time this year and staying at the campsite at Foxdale from the 30th May until 4th June. :mrgreen:
AntG

Re: TT 2014

Postby Cobbett on Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:53 am

AntG wrote: Anybody attending? I'm going for the first time this year and staying at the campsite at Foxdale from the 30th May until 4th June. :mrgreen:

Alas having been for the last couple I can't make it this year as the friend of a friend who normally puts us up at Ballasalla can't manage it. Will miss it hugely, consoled by ITV4's excellent coverage.
Cobbett

Postby AntG on Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:35 am

Any advice on where is a good place to spectate from? I know the crossroads by the old pub is a couple of miles down the road and Crosby not much further, anywhere else? Also while I'm over there I would like to go to Peel castle and also Douglas.
AntG

Postby Cobbett on Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:06 am

AntG wrote:Any advice on where is a good place to spectate from? I know the crossroads by the old pub is a couple of miles down the road and Crosby not much further, anywhere else? Also while I'm over there I would like to go to Peel castle and also Douglas.

I've driven around the circuit a few times in a hire car, and stopped in all the obvious places, but I'm afraid I've only ever watched from the main grandstand in Douglas - as I don't ordinarily have transport when I'm over there and have my young son with me, so need to keep it simple. (As an aside - if it's not inappropriate - let me know if you'd like some grandstand tickets at face value, as I got 3 for the opening Sat and 3 for Senior Friday, which I can't now use and, come to think of it, need to shift.)

I have fond memories of Peel Castle as when we visited last year, on the Sunday at the end of race week, the only other visitor was Bruce Anstey, with whom we had a nice chat, and who signed my son's cap etc.
Cobbett

Postby AntG on Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:51 pm

Cheers for that although I'd have to turn them down as I can't guarantee I'll be in Douglas for the race days.
AntG

Postby MiniNinjaMk5 on Tue May 27, 2014 6:02 pm

Looks like good coverage on ITV4 again this year in the UK, programs on TV each night this week 9-10Pm, newcomer introductions on Wednesday, event intro on Thursday and qualifying on Friday. Craig Doyle is doing the presenting with Jamie Whitham once more, as well as Steve Parrish and Steve Plater.
MiniNinjaMk5

Postby AntG on Tue May 27, 2014 11:33 pm

Yeah as always ITV4 are on the ball I watched the Michael Dunlop programme last night and just watched the one about Norton tonight.
AntG

Postby Tourn46 on Sat May 31, 2014 9:04 am

Watched all of the TT coverages so far on ITV4... Why don't they actually show any on track action? Its just talking to people and there has been like 5 hours of it so far. I hope that changes tonight.
Tourn46

Postby Cobbett on Sat May 31, 2014 10:15 am

Tourn46 wrote:Watched all of the TT coverages so far on ITV4... Why don't they actually show any on track action? Its just talking to people and there has been like 5 hours of it so far. I hope that changes tonight.

I think they've been limited by the amount of practice time, and the fact that some of the rescheduled times have been too late to be included in a package which has to be put together before the broadcast; but I agree, it's been a little stretched and repetitive so far. Hopefully that'll all change tonight: Superbike in a couple of hours...
Cobbett

Postby Tourn46 on Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:19 pm

Cobbett wrote:
Tourn46 wrote:Watched all of the TT coverages so far on ITV4... Why don't they actually show any on track action? Its just talking to people and there has been like 5 hours of it so far. I hope that changes tonight.

I think they've been limited by the amount of practice time, and the fact that some of the rescheduled times have been too late to be included in a package which has to be put together before the broadcast; but I agree, it's been a little stretched and repetitive so far. Hopefully that'll all change tonight: Superbike in a couple of hours...

It's got better... but the programs are an hour long... we have 15 minutes of build up, then a break. 15 minutes of action, then a break. 15 minutes of action, then a break. Finally we have 15 minutes of total guff.

It's like an exercise in how to drown out possibly the most intense, exciting viewing in the world into a frustrating, bitty, annoyance.

I know I sound negative, I have enjoyed seeing it on the TV so far, but the coverage has really not done it justice in my opinion. I want to see more on track action ITV4!!!
Tourn46

Postby MiniNinjaMk5 on Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:43 pm

I start watching it at 9.30 having stuck the tape on before, helps a bit with that.

Absolutely gutted to hear the sad news about Karl 'Bomber' Harris. Always thought that guy was indestructible. I know they are doing what they love, but it doesn't make it any more palatable. :(
MiniNinjaMk5

Postby daz on Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:50 pm

I've just done the same.

Really, really sad.

I thought the piece from Craig, James and Steve was right. They were all clearly upset.

I'd been watching earlier in the programme and remembered Phil Mellor, who was always my favourite as a kid. Somebody mentioned "big Dave" in the commentary and that chimed for the same reasons.

Hard.

Thoughts are with family and friends.
daz

Postby AntG on Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:25 pm

So I got back from the TT yesterday and had an awesome time, gutted to hear about Bob Price and Karl Harris though.
AntG

Postby AntG on Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:04 pm

SPOILER

Listened to todays races on the radio, Dean Harrison won the Lightweight race joining his father Conrad(who won the first sidecar race on saturday) as the first father/son duo to win TT's in the same week.

Michael Dunlop won the Senior, the first lap was very close with no more than 3 seconds separating Michael, William, Guy, Conor and Dean, William had an off and was airlifted to hospital with suspected broken leg, Conor and Guy finished 2nd and 3rd respectively and Peter Hickman became the fastest newcomer with a 129mph lap on the final lap.

Michael now has 11 wins and has won 4 TT's in a week for two years running.
AntG

Postby Cobbett on Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:38 am

Hickman's 129mph lap, in his first year, just blows my mind. 11th, ahead of riders such as Hutchy. Milky Quayle did pick him as one to watch. Incredible.
Cobbett

Postby smAshmoto on Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:35 am

What did we all think of Scott Reddings rant about the TT after this years fatalities?
"Troubled childhood? If you call being a 9 year old kid with a 35 year old girlfriend troubled."

-Chaz Michael Michaels, ice devouring sex tornado
smAshmoto

Postby AntG on Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:04 am

I believe a lot of it was due to emotion, I believe he was very close to Bob Price.

He certainly didn't deserve the abuse he received on social media anyway.
AntG

Postby Tourn46 on Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:20 am

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and his was most certainly emotion fuelled. As said above, I believe Bob Price was hugely influential in Scott's early years and a close family friend - both being from Gloucestershire, etc.

Personally I think people should be able to decide for themselves - as they currently do.

Part of the excitement of it all is the danger... watching these guys fly around those roads at such insane speeds is thrilling whether or not you're a motorcycle fan.
Tourn46

Postby MiniNinjaMk5 on Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:46 am

smAshmoto wrote:What did we all think of Scott Reddings rant about the TT after this years fatalities?

I wouldn't have called it a 'rant'. He knew Bob Price very well, was deeply upset about it and aired an opinion. Something I think he is entitled to do.

Only negative comment I heard from a rider was Josh Brookes, and that was based on the assumption that Redding would be doing a lap of the circuit on the Friday despite his protestations. Something that Redding then clarified.

I'm really torn on the TT. On the one hand it is thrilling, there is nothing else like it, and it is the ultimate test of man and machine. But, I do think that some of the bikes are probably getting too fast for it now, there are much less margins for error now than there were even 10 years ago just because of the sheer speed.

Had it been on the UK mainland it would have been cancelled 20 years ago (at least). It's only because of the number of financial institutions that work through the Isle, there is an agreement that the UK government won't interfere on local governmental matters, such as the continued running of the TT.
MiniNinjaMk5

Postby Hanuman on Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:18 am

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:
smAshmoto wrote:What did we all think of Scott Reddings rant about the TT after this years fatalities?

I wouldn't have called it a 'rant'. He knew Bob Price very well, was deeply upset about it and aired an opinion. Something I think he is entitled to do.

Only negative comment I heard from a rider was Josh Brookes, and that was based on the assumption that Redding would be doing a lap of the circuit on the Friday despite his protestations. Something that Redding then clarified.

I'm really torn on the TT. On the one hand it is thrilling, there is nothing else like it, and it is the ultimate test of man and machine. But, I do think that some of the bikes are probably getting too fast for it now, there are much less margins for error now than there were even 10 years ago just because of the sheer speed.

Had it been on the UK mainland it would have been cancelled 20 years ago (at least). It's only because of the number of financial institutions that work through the Isle, there is an agreement that the UK government won't interfere on local governmental matters, such as the continued running of the TT.

Good post, mini.
The TT is one of those things I try not to think too much about and just enjoy. Enjoyment that's spoilt by these deaths. I think my main gripe is the emphasis on the danger. With adverts for DVDs shouting "The World's Most Dangerous Race".
I'm not so sure about bikes being too fast for it *now*. When Surtees was sticking his MV's wheels in the gutters to help get around corners...there was already zero margin for error.
As an aside, I'd posit that much of the average speed increase is as much to do with the alterations to the course as the capabilities of the bikes.
Hanuman

TT 2014

Postby Grahluk on Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:47 am

Scott made some fair points without actually calling for it to be banned. Cranky internet curmudgeons inferred that & acted accordingly. I agree that yes the bikes & tires now are vastly more capable than what was running 10, 20, 40 years ago. I'm sure it was just as difficult to control what was available then at lower speeds as it is now at higher speeds. That's what technology allows. All the same it's the same trees, rock walls, & curbs they're contending with at average speeds of 130mph & top speeds over 200mph as they were at 100mph years ago. Physics dictate the consequences will be more severe & margins for error slimmer by some degree. I don't think it's a call to ban or alter the event but a sober reminder of exactly what it is that the TT is. As a personal challenge I place it more in the category of wing suit base jumping & scaling Everest than your average GP or SBK Sunday race. It is what it is. Respect those who chose to risk their lives for the challenge & say a prayer for their success.
Grahluk

Postby Hanuman on Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:46 am

Grahluk wrote:Scott made some fair points without actually calling for it to be banned. Cranky internet curmudgeons inferred that & acted accordingly. I agree that yes the bikes & tires now are vastly more capable than what was running 10, 20, 40 years ago. I'm sure it was just as difficult to control what was available then at lower speeds as it is now at higher speeds. That's what technology allows. All the same it's the same trees, rock walls, & curbs they're contending with at average speeds of 130mph & top speeds over 200mph as they were at 100mph years ago. Physics dictate the consequences will be more severe & margins for error slimmer by some degree. I don't think it's a call to ban or alter the event but a sober reminder of exactly what it is that the TT is. As a personal challenge I place it more in the category of wing suit base jumping & scaling Everest than your average GP or SBK Sunday race. It is what it is. Respect those who chose to risk their lives for the challenge & say a prayer for their success.

So when was this physics-dictated threshold of safety crossed? Pre-WW2? There's been a relentlessly consistent degree of carnage every decade since then. It wasn't at the IoM, but the master, Joey died crashing a 125...
Hanuman

Postby AntG on Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:37 pm

Interesting to note that out of the last 50 fatalities on the mountain course(including the Manx GP) only 11 involved a bike with more than 600cc.
AntG

Postby Grahluk on Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:39 am

Hanuman wrote:
Grahluk wrote:Scott made some fair points without actually calling for it to be banned. Cranky internet curmudgeons inferred that & acted accordingly. I agree that yes the bikes & tires now are vastly more capable than what was running 10, 20, 40 years ago. I'm sure it was just as difficult to control what was available then at lower speeds as it is now at higher speeds. That's what technology allows. All the same it's the same trees, rock walls, & curbs they're contending with at average speeds of 130mph & top speeds over 200mph as they were at 100mph years ago. Physics dictate the consequences will be more severe & margins for error slimmer by some degree. I don't think it's a call to ban or alter the event but a sober reminder of exactly what it is that the TT is. As a personal challenge I place it more in the category of wing suit base jumping & scaling Everest than your average GP or SBK Sunday race. It is what it is. Respect those who chose to risk their lives for the challenge & say a prayer for their success.

So when was this physics-dictated threshold of safety crossed? Pre-WW2? There's been a relentlessly consistent degree of carnage every decade since then. It wasn't at the IoM, but the master, Joey died crashing a 125...

Sure, there's no such thing as a threshold between "safe" & "dangerous". Yes you can be just as dead head butting a curb at 90 on a 125 as you can at 130 on a superbike. It's also a bald fact that higher speeds result in greater forces at work when they do come off the bike. Do I suggest they ban or do something to make the TT "safe"? No. Still someone like Scott Redding voicing the fact the carnage the TT produced is hard to bear sometimes. He knew both who died, one closely. You'd have to have something seriously wrong in your head to lose people close to you like that & not take a hard look at what we're accepting.
Grahluk

Postby Tourn46 on Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:18 pm

2 deaths this week in horse riding championships... One in the UK and one in Germany.

Ban it?
Tourn46

Next

Return to National Series