World SBK in 2021

Talk about the World Superbike series run by FGSport. Including World Superbikes, World Supersport, European Superstock, etc.
Mikesbytes

Re: World SBK in 2021

Post by Mikesbytes »

That weekend it was Rea, Redding and Razgatlioglu slugging it out and hardly a look in by anyone else, in particular the last race was an embarrassment for the others
My signature isn't particularly interesting

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Some pretty good action lately. Thanks for pointing out can view some of the races with just signing up. Been watching last few rounds. Getting good. As said top three making a break for it but all are tight on points and many races left.

Rick650

Post by Rick650 »

Looks to me like Rae has run out of motorcycle and is having to over ride it to compensate for the not granted 500 revs.
I would love to know what Yamaha have done to the R1to make it so good so often, and not just for Toprak.
Toprak is a real talent, looking a much more complete rider than his spectacular pre super bike days. I would love to see him in MotoGP.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

I don't know if any crash.net regulars have moved over here since they disabled their comments section, which was totally poisonous anyway, but their WSB news headline made me laugh this morning:

WorldSBK: Rea and Lowes to miss out on Suzuka 8 hours after event is cancelled

Well no sh!t sherlock, I'd hazard a guess that every rider with an entry will miss out :?

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Rick650 wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:58 am
Looks to me like Rae has run out of motorcycle and is having to over ride it to compensate for the not granted 500 revs.
I would love to know what Yamaha have done to the R1to make it so good so often, and not just for Toprak.
Toprak is a real talent, looking a much more complete rider than his spectacular pre super bike days. I would love to see him in MotoGP.
The last two rounds were at new tracks and Rea was as you say having to push harder. I’m thinking next few rounds as they return to tracks they know, with data to back it, that things will look better.

Agree with Topraks talent, but he joined right as Yamaha “earned” their first rev boost for their prior years performance, or lack there of. So he’s timing couldn’t have been better as he swapped rides from Kawasaki into Yamaha just as they were getting more revs.

Conversely Ducati was cut for second year in a row so they are pretty much having tough time now, a shuffling in the lava lamp so to speak. The result is what looks like a break thru.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Interesting point about the timing of the rev limit changes. Given BMW's performance this year being good but not stellar, could Redding show up at a time when BMW is granted a boost comparative to their competition. I don't know the rules well enough - this might be impossible I don't know.

Scott rode really well all weekend, and if he keeps this up it's looking like Ducati will be losing out with Redding moving away. Clearly he's got it in him if he has the bike underneath him.

It's almost looking like a situation of three aliens out the front and the human riders having their own race a bit further back. I wonder if Redding can stay with them next year.

I agree that Rea is having to push and is making more mistakes. It's going to be interesting. With the championship currently being this tight, a single DNF could be huge.

I'm watching the races by having my settop box record the highlights. But, I tend to be distracted by other things and only occasionally check the TV to see if there's anything new.

Apical

Magic Michael

Post by Apical »

Van der Mark is back.

Magny-Cours this weekend so most riders have been to the circuit many times. Plenty of data.

J1R up there as expected. The usual suspects at the top of fp1.

https://resources.worldsbk.com/files/re ... f9f98764da
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

Apical

Re: SBK Magny-Cours 2021

Post by Apical »

I spoke too soon regarding Michael van der Mark, 2nd in fp1, he improved his time by 0.74 and went down the order to 10th!
The usual suspects at the top. R, R & R! Twelve within a second of Toprak.
Bassani 13th looks good for a rookie.

We get a race today!
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

Apical

Re: SBK Magny-Cours 2021

Post by Apical »

Fast learners again.

Had a look at times from the first 3 practice sessions, fp1 was dampish so not ideal. The three Rs are improving. Rea, Redding & Razgatlioglu

Garrett Gerloff has made a big improvement on his times; 1m 40.004 fp1, 1m 37.635 to 1m 36.709! Three & a quarter seconds per lap. That is an arm and a leg at this level! Just taking off a second from Friday arvo to Saturday morning is huge!

More to come.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Race 1 is on WorldSBK.com

Redglare

Post by Redglare »

Jonathan Rea must be the sorest loser in the history of motorsports.
Yamaha will be getting their Revs cut next.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Great races all around. SSP also was very good both races.

Rea was there, Toprak was just that bit further ahead on him.

Interesting how cordial and accommodating to Toprak Rea has been. Taking him under his wing as a mentor when teammates is one thing, still walking the track together and discussing relative strengths and weaknesses in each others bikes and styles could be seen as another. Perhaps the team is moving in to break up the summer bromance as parents might do.

Rea is a top bloke and expressed nothing but great words and respect for his competitors. In one interview he talked about hitting the beach and playing some golf. I don’t think Toprak will be that laid back.

My only disappointment was Locatelli coming across on VanDerMark as he did. Very close call and very unnecessary. As the saying goes Trust arrives by foot and leaves by train, for Locatelli the train has forever left the station for Vandermark.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

I feel like the cordial accommodation offered was purely down to Rea believing Toprak was a fierce competitor who he would have the beating of on the majority of occasions.
Now that Toprak has demonstrated he is not just going to fight for race wins and is well and truly a championship competitor, I think Rea's true colours and character started to shine through yesterday.

First and foremost rules are rules, so if Toprak strayed onto the green the penalty is just. However there are a couple of other things I think need considered.
First, why is there a strip of green on the inside of that kink. Why not just have the white line out to the grass or have the green painted as a red/ white kerb?
Secondly, Rea was all smiles and backslaps and handshakes for Toprak in the winners enclosure in that cordially accommodating way. But just look at him/ his expression in the clip when he walks over and whispers to Pere Riba, this is the real Jonathan Rea. I know we don't know exactly what was said but a circumstantial assessment is that this is what kicked things off.

I understand that champions have drive and need to win more than most mortals. If Rea comes out and admits straight up that he asked Riba for things to be reviewed then fair enough but if he denies it, the happy cordial interaction with Toprak followed by a request to review footage, shows a two faced back stabbing loser.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Toprak gained no advantage out of his infringement onto the green as was exhibited by Rea overtaking him in the next corner

Locatelli coming across and hitting VanDerMark looked like some kind of error by Locatelli that flung him over into VanDerMark, is there any news on the incident out there that describes how it happened?

VanDerMark was lucky not to crash after his brake was depressed in the collision

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:44 pm
Toprak gained no advantage out of his infringement onto the green as was exhibited by Rea overtaking him in the next corner
I know what you're saying, but if it had been grass over the edge of the track who knows what would have happened eg Toprak's bike may have become unsettled whilst rejoining the tarmac and left him in a position where he was unable to have a go back for the race win.

Vmax666

Post by Vmax666 »

I really don’t understand people’s obsession with having a go at rea
What evidence has there been to say he asked for a review
And if he did why does that affect what type of person he is
Only thing I have seen is him talking to his crew chief which no one but them know what was discussed
And I am sure if he had gone on the green Yamaha would have asked for it to be reviewed
That’s modern racing
You can’t ask for rider safety one minute then criticising rules put in to prevent riders taking advantage of the situation the next

Toprak rode great and all the races were good to watch roll on the next round

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

If he embraced Toprak saying well done but i think you went on the green, then came over and asked Riba to check the on board it's fair enough.
Doubt it though and interested to hear what both say about it in their next interviews.

Think the problem lies with how two faced it appeared. Well done Toprak, great racing on face one, march over to Riba with a face like fizz saying Toprak hit the green and get the team manager to check it with face 2.

Rea seems to like having this public image of being best buds with the cool new kid in town when reality is dawning that the new kid in town is a threat to top dog status and he can't take it. As I said before, if he didn't have drive like this then he might not be the most successful WSB rider of all time.
Compare that to Marquez who doesn't hide the fact that he ain't about to make friends, and I respect him for that.

All I'm saying is if you're going to be a b@st@rd then own it

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I'm not too worried by the demotion of Razgatlioglu if he did actually exceed track limits. Is there any indication that the ruling is unsound? If not: it's normal for competitors to point out infractions by opponents and I don't think embracing at the end is a problem. Rea may not have been sure at that point, but was just thinking of asking for it to be checked out.

Whether the revs are giving Yamaha an advantage (which seems likely given the speed of Locatelli), it's good to see a close battle for the championship. And I feel it's a good thing that I have no idea who will win out.

Redding was disappointing this weekend. OK, he clearly improved race by race. But, a best result of a third when his two competitors for the championship are swapping firsts and seconds isn't going to do it.

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

One is reminded about another famous rider beginning with R. All fun and jokes when it's going well, then when it starts to slip the dark side comes out (Gibernau, Marquez). TBH, I have no problem with that per se (as long as it stays the right side of the legal line), but the idea that riders should be all smiles all the time is disingenuous.

I think Doohan played it better, a complete hardnose on the track and whilst racing, but comes out as more laid-back and friendly after retirement.

Interestingly, the one time I have pitted in the TT (the highest class of racing I've been involved in), I was in the next box to Michael Dunlop - in the pits he was incredibly relaxed and friendly with his pit crew (and was first to get his wallet out in the beer tent for them too).

Apical

Aussie in SBK in 2021

Post by Apical »

Lachlan Epis is off to Europe for a few rounds on the Pedercini superbike. "The remainder of the season" they say.

https://www.worldsbk.com/en/news/2021/E ... i+Kawasaki

Catalunya is a new track for Lachie. Jerez & maybe Portimao he has ridden before afaik.
SBK probably isn't going to Argentina or Indonesia, we'll see.

He is no Troy Bayliss or Troy Corser. I am happy to have an Aussie in WSBK again.
Lachlan got better results in New Zealand than in Oz recently. Wins & Podiums in NZSBK, 7th was his best result this year in ASBK.
While he's only 21, Epis has been racing a long time, first on dirt track & last 8 years on tarmac.

Good luck to him and Lucio Pedercini's team!

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Well worth watching all 3 WSBK races on the weekend. All 3 are on the WSBK web site in full

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Oh, I was avoiding this thread until the highlights turned up on television and I could see them.

[SPOILERS]

It's not very much changed at the top. Given his DNF, Razgatlioglu was lucky not to lose more points over the weekend (and in race 1) than he did. The races certainly were tight, and I really wouldn't want to predict who will win the championship this year.

There seemed to be plenty of very closely fought overtaking battles. One rider is past but no the other rider is going around the outside.

Definitely the most closely fought championship I'm following right now.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

The most important thing in WSBK and support series at the moment is to remember Dean Vinales. Very sad that he passed on.

Returning to the racing.

I've seen last weekend's races now. Toprak is doing what he needs to do, and Scott is returning to form. Toprak's buffer can disappear in seconds if he falls in a race which Jonathan wins, but he's been *mostly* reliable and consistent this year. It's looking good for the first non-Rea championship in a while. And I guess the first Turkish world superbike champion.

With Razgatlioglu, and the Oncu brothers, and now Berat Sofuoğlu, it looks like there could be a bit of a Turkish era in motorcycling coming up.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Yep, fully agree. Crappy situation occurring with Vinales…

As for next generation, it’s all down to Keanan putting back into the sport. You’ll notice they all run his #54 when they can.

I have to say I’ve not been a fan of Keanan’s ridding in past when he was chopping it up in WSS…. But apart from that he’s been working with these youngsters for years now on kart tracks with mini bikes.

This like with Rossi are big factors in how riders rank in my book in the end.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

kenup283 wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:43 am
Yep, fully agree. Crappy situation occurring with Vinales…

As for next generation, it’s all down to Keanan putting back into the sport. You’ll notice they all run his #54 when they can.

I have to say I’ve not been a fan of Keanan’s ridding in past when he was chopping it up in WSS…. But apart from that he’s been working with these youngsters for years now on kart tracks with mini bikes.

This like with Rossi are big factors in how riders rank in my book in the end.
I haven't been following Word SuperSport, even now. So, I'm not familiar with his history. It seems he's now a politician.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenan_Sofuo%C4%9Flu

It also says that he is the father of current WSSP300 race winner Bahattin Sofuoğlu. But also that Keanan tragically lost two brothers to motorcycle racing accidents.