World SBK in 2021

Talk about the World Superbike series run by FGSport. Including World Superbikes, World Supersport, European Superstock, etc.
Apical

World SBK in 2021

Post by Apical »

Interesting two part interview with Gregorio Lavilla.

https://www.worldsbk.com/en/news/2020/W ... K%20season

https://www.worldsbk.com/en/news/2020/G ... gn=Traffic

Lavilla says "What I can say is that we are working on having three brand new circuits that WorldSBK has never seen before, but I can’t say where at the moment. In Australia, the event will take place at the end of the year in order to analyse the situation by that time; for sure now, it’d be very risky to decide and commit to being there in February. We are working on putting all of our European events first, starting in April until the first week of October and from that point, if the situation is good in Argentina, Australia and a race in the Middle East that we are working on, then they will go ahead.

Three new circuits yippee! And "a race in the Middle East that we are working on". I'm curious if this means SBK won't be going to Qatar? After their PR disaster just recently.

As far as I'm aware it would be a choice between Losail circuit Doha Qatar, Sakhir circuit Bahrain, Dubai Autodrome or Yas Marina circuit Abu Dhabi.
Not sure I like any of them all that much.

Other info suggests wss600 & wss300 may have two races per round at many of the events in 2021.
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

Mikesbytes

Re: World SBK in 2021

Post by Mikesbytes »

Not only swapping the timeslots of the flyaways, they won't be starting till April
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

Damn, always looked forward to late February for WSB from Phillip Island which usually ends up being best round of the season :(

Apical

Leon Camier in SBK in 2021

Post by Apical »

Leon Camier has secured a role in the world SBK paddock. As team manager for Honda HRC !!
I hope this goes well for likable Leon.

Preseason testing schedule as well.

https://www.worldsbk.com/en/news/2021/W ... +attending
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

Schwantz34

Re: Leon Camier in SBK in 2021

Post by Schwantz34 »

Apical wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:26 pm
Leon Camier has secured a role in the world SBK paddock. As team manager for Honda HRC !!
I hope this goes well for likable Leon.

Preseason testing schedule as well.

https://www.worldsbk.com/en/news/2021/W ... +attending
A super talented rider who seemed to have walked under too many ladders, all the best to him.

Apical

Re: World SBK in 21 5 in 5

Post by Apical »

Five different manufacturers in the top five at the Barcelona test.

Jonathan Rea fastest. I know this is not news.

https://www.worldsbk.com/en/news/2021/F ... 5&jb=20002

Jonas Folger riding a BMW this year.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Ah that's interesting I was wondering what had happened to Folger. I wonder if the more laid back life in WSBK will suit him better.

Such a long wait to the start of the championship this year!

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

BMW has don't quite well in pre season testing. Will that equate into better results than last year? How did BMW do in pre season testing last year?

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

Had seen van der Mark was well over a second down in testing and my heart sank a little. Want to say and believe it's only testing but...........

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

First race yesterday, I haven't seen it yet as it's not live on free to air TV in Australia. Will watch this evening

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

It's all up on the worldsbk site, well worth watching

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Really good opening races! Very eventful, difficult for the riders to make tyre choices.

Rea once again looks like he will be the guy to beat.
I'm looking forward to Chaz getting some 'revenge' and showing what a good rider he is after being unceremoniously dumped by the Factory Ducati team at the end of last year. Positive start for him, aside from the crash, looks like he is getting to grips with the V4.
BMW actually looked pretty good although weather might have played a part.

In WSS poor, poor Jules Cluzel, is it just not meant to be for that guy?

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Estrol race 1 is a dry race but the teams/riders took different strategies so not 100% head on head. It's online -> https://www.worldsbk.com/en/videos/2021 ... %20Session

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I'm way behind on this. I've only seen the first weekend's worth of races. So far, it seems similar to last year. I've accidentally read that Redding has won another race, but don't know what the current standings are.

Is it going to be a matter of waiting until Rea gets old and can't win anymore? As that's what it's looking like at the very moment.

Apical

Re: Misano SBK

Post by Apical »

Misano world circuit Marco Simoncelli this weekend.

All three classes. SBK 600s & 300s. Plenty of races!

The "Alien" in green versus the also rans?

Ducati have probably done lots of homework at this track

"It won't make any difference" Newt

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Good race, here's the 16 minute summary https://youtu.be/CNkvF8fDQlE

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

16 minute summary of race 2 https://youtu.be/yb99WMH3Yn0

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I'm still behind on the races. I'll wait for the highlights on TV.

I've seen R2 races only, oh, about two weeks late. It was great to see Redding win the first race of the weekend, but things then slipped from then.

It looks like another season with Rea being consistently at the front if not winning every time, but others struggling to stay in touch. That's no criticism of Redding or Razgatlioglu. It's just that to stay with Rea they've got to try harder, and trying harder opens the doors for mistakes. One fall, and they lose 25 points or whatever to Rea.

I don't know if Raz's false start was because of this pressure. But, I'm thinking that Redding's fall was.

Now I'm wondering what has already happened in R3.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Race 1 is often available free on worldsbk.com

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Thank you. I will have a look.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I've seen all the races now. Race 1 earliest thanks to @mikesbytes recommendation.

How things change in a weekend. Initially it was looking as if it would be another year of Rea winning with someone else (Redding) struggling to stay within reach. Now we have Razgatlioglu leading the championship.

With Gerloff finishing second, that Yamaha is starting to look a pretty good bike. The class of the field?

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

The Yamaha is definitely getting better isn't it, Toprak riding really well and an uncharacteristic mistake by Rea at Donington Race 3 (although the commentator pointed out he has 1 per year!)

Ducati looked like they dipped in the last race, that was probably their worst race for a while.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I'm up to date again as of some days ago. It looks as if Toprak is mounting the best challenge Rea has had for a while. It'll be interesting to see what happens. It helps that Redding is back on form and is taking points off Rea.

Still think that Rea has the greatest chance of winning this year, but it's still too close to call. Which is quite good for WSBK in the Rea era.

Apical

Post by Apical »

Good in parts. Fun first few laps & then a bit of a high speed procession.

WSBK video; https://www.worldsbk.com/en/videos/2021 ... %20Session

30 minutes of the usual bs before the start then 6 or 7 interesting laps. Then not so entertaining. Highlights probably better than the full race.

Ducati ahead in the manufacturers chip. JR1 & Toprak the two most likely. Scott Redding not too far behind. they are our top 3 for sure f'sure.

Suzuki back again, finished their 1st race back, just out of the points. Long way to go to get to the front!