World SBK in 2021

Talk about the World Superbike series run by FGSport. Including World Superbikes, World Supersport, European Superstock, etc.
Fingernails

Re: World SBK in 2021

Post by Fingernails »

This thread is not the most active thread! I didn't need to stay out of it.

What a strange weekend. There wasn't one race out of three where both title protagonists finished. With two finishes out of three, you'd think that Razgatlioglu would have gained more than four points. But, reduced points for the superpole race and a sixth place finish means only four points gained.

I don't think I've ever seen a rider fall off due to a fender failure before. Bad luck. Excluding this random non-finish Razgatlioglu is considerably more consistent than Rea. But still it's close enough, with six races to go. One more DNF and Rea could be ahead.

The WSBK riders are getting really aggressive, but this is getting too much for me. It was a bit worrying seeing the crashes in WSSP300 is concerning. Fortunately no riders dumped on the track in vulnerable positions. 'Fortunately'.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

WSBK is almost a 3 person race over the last few rounds. I'm assuming that their team mates are on a equal footing bike/team wise but are largely sitting behind in group 2 on the track
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Somehow I got it into my head that this weekend was the last weekend of the season, which it isn't.

I've seen race 1.

** SPOILERS **

Razgatlioglu is showing that his race pace advantage suggested in practice and qualifying is real. Rea may be able to get closer, but I wonder if Toprak has some speed in hand. It was exciting to see Redding recovering from his fall, but I think it would have been a more interesting race overall if Redding hadn't fallen off.

The team number twos were a fair way back. Showing that the top 3 really are a cut above the rest of the field.

EDIT: Have now seen race 2 but not the superpole race (though I know the results). Nice fightback by Rea, though with three races left (one half points) he needs more than a second just in front of Razgatlioglu. Nice win for Redding, but he's mathematically no longer able to win the championship with only 62 points left on the table. It was interesting to see how tough the battles were between the three for much of the race, while nobody punted anyone. I was a bit concerned with Bassini in the mix early on as he is more of an unknown quantity for me. But, he kept it clean too.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

With superpole cancelled all Toprak has to do in race 1 (delayed until tomorrow) is get 5 points less than Rea

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I managed to confuse when the last races were and was expecting them to be this weekend. I've seen the races. Toprak didn't win a single race last weekend, but he had his eyes on the prize, and achieved it.

So, is the Rea era over, or is this a blip? His convincing wins in the last two races seems to be a statement of intent.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Raz declined going to MotoGP as the only bike on offer was the A spec Yamaha, aka last years model, he's hanging out for a factory Yamaha. This means that Raz needs to win again in 2022 to convince Yamaha to give him a factory Motogp bike but I'm sure Rea wants to make sure that second victory doesn't happen so expect plenty of fireworks. Bautista will want to make it a 3 way battle