WSBK in 2020

Talk about the World Superbike series run by FGSport. Including World Superbikes, World Supersport, European Superstock, etc.
MiniNinjaMk5

Re: WSBK in 2020

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

bikermike wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:44 am
At what point did Kawasaki start throwing money at the championship (an unanswerable question as no-one will tell the true numbers, nor can we establish what is "throwing money")?

It's clear that Kawa put a lot more resource into WSBK than the other manufacturers apart from Ducati

Does that explain Rea's record, or does Rea's performance explain why they are willing to spend the money?
Does it line up with Kawasaki leaving MotoGP?

I know David has written articles on the front page of their spend at WSBK, where they are multiple world champions, vs. spend in GP that might not even get them into the top ten.
I think a similar argument was made about BMW not making a MotoGP bike and sticking with WSBK.

Personally I've always thought Rea was a super talented rider on equipment that wasn't quite up to it (definitely some of the years on the Honda). He was awesome back in BSB (when he finished) and I think very respectable results when he took Stoner's ride to sub into GP for those two races, and lets not forget the Suzuka 8 hour wins. I wonder if Honda handing the ride to Crutchlow at that point (who had come off a very bad year at Ducati) I think was probably the straw that broke the camels back and off to Kawasaki he went. Then he jumped on a bike (that had had some tremendous development work by Sykes + kawasaki $$$ + a good team around him) and the rest is history..

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

I think it does. but which is chicken, which is Egg?

Kawa had a large pot of money (and an avintia in the shed), did they spend it and Rea happened to be the lucky lad, or was Rea's performance such that they felt it worth spending?

Edit: I agree re his rides on Stoners MotoGP Honda, they looked measured and like a he was checking the fit with a view to next season rather than a "win-or-bin" shop-window ride.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

I wonder if it was Kawasaki thinking that they were going to make a concerted effort at the title - big money, big development, and looking for a rider that could fulfil that aim (although you could say, continue to fill that aim, as Sykes already had one WC and possibly should have had two, if they hadn't chosen Baz as his team mate!)

I know there was some resentment from Sykes who had spent all those years and all that effort helping to develop the bike, only for Rea to come in and start taking the team's focus when he immediately started winning. Sadly, there isn't much room for sentiment in the paddock..

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:04 pm
I wonder if it was Kawasaki thinking that they were going to make a concerted effort at the title - big money, big development, and looking for a rider that could fulfil that aim (although you could say, continue to fill that aim, as Sykes already had one WC and possibly should have had two, if they hadn't chosen Baz as his team mate!)
I'm not familiar with WSBK seasons back then. But, when I saw your comment about Baz, the picture that popped into my head was a replay of Pedrosa punting Hayden off and very nearly losing him the championship.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

To my mind Sykes shot himself in the foot by being over critical of Baz over the spill at Sepang that year, no wonder Baz didn't care about Sykes title after that.

Apical

Re: Ducati in WSBK in 2020

Post by Apical »

Interesting test at Misano circuit Marco Simoncelli
Haven't quite absorbed all the info. But the times are close.

Scott Redding is very fast & will probably do well. Hopefully more consistent than Alvaro Bautista.
S.R.45 could be the one to win a championship for Ducati. For the first time since...Carlos Checa in 2011 !
That is a blooming long time ago. Only six chips out of the last 20 years. After taking 13 of the first 20 championships. How the mighty have fallen!

Chaz Davies still not getting the best from the V4R and the clock is ticking down on Chaz's racing career.
Leon Camier (Barni Ducati) was looking very uncomfortable at Phillip Island on the Friday. Then chose not to race.
Looks like Leom Camier's shoulder is still bad. This article from GpOne makes me think L.C. has one of those Ben Spies type nasty shoulder problems.
https://www.gpone.com/en/2020/06/26/sbk ... -risk.html
I hope Leon Camier will recover, it would be great to see him at his best again. But if he doesn't the Barni team is a good place for a competitive racer.
Could be an opportunity for a younger racer like Oli Bayliss, Rory Skinner or another talented racer.

Somebody somewhere asked about Michael Ruben Rinaldi, he seems like a good young racer. Faster than Chaz at this test.
He is Italian which Ducati would like. Young 24 I think. Nice guy I have his autograph. Has done 4 races in Moto3, finished 3 of them & scored 1 championship point. He did all the European World sbk rounds in 2018 and the full superbike season last year. Only scored 7 points at P.I. this year.
Give him time & he could do well. Maybe MRR will replace Chaz at the factory Ducati SBK team.
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

Like I said earlier I really rate Camier but if his shoulder still isn't right after all this time I fear for his career :(

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

I've read that Zarco was also at the test on a Ducati Panigale V4, his training bike. No further info so at a guess it wasn't a racing bike/team type effort so even if we got lap times, it won't mean much.

I'm getting the impression that the Ducati Panigale V4 tends to suit ex MotoGP riders due in part to its stiff frame, which means an ex MotoGP rider will be quicker to adapt to the Ducati Panigale V4 than an existing WSBK rider, despite the WSBK rider having existing knowledge of the tyres.
My signature isn't particularly interesting

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Fingernails wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:20 pm
MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:04 pm
I'm not familiar with WSBK seasons back then. But, when I saw your comment about Baz, the picture that popped into my head was a replay of Pedrosa punting Hayden off and very nearly losing him the championship.
It wasn't anything like that bad in that Baz didn't knock Sykes off. But in some ways it worse - Pedrosa just made a mistake when it came down to it, really he had crashed 3-4 seconds before when he spun up the tyre on the corner before and it upset his arrival and line into the next corner. But, Sykes vs. Baz was a real tooth & nail fight. Ultimately Biaggi won that year because he had Eugene Laverty as a team mate (who developed 'overheating tyre problems' during one race, IIRC, and had dropped back behind Biaggi) and Sykes had Baz. I don't think it's any surprise that Baz ended up being in a one-rider team and really probably hasn't had the rides his talent should have resulted in.

In terms of ' team effort' I would say only Gabor 'Tailgunner' Talmasci vs. Mika Kallio comes worse in terms of rider behaviour, which again ultimately was the difference maker over Kallio being 125 champion.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

And VDM's last season on a Yam.. he has signed for BMW next year (which definitely shows that manufacturer is serious!)

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Testing done in Spain, is this an indication that we might get away with the European racing?

As we know we can never read too much into the times as it depends a lot on who did a hot lap and who did etc etc etc etc

What I do notice is Scott Redding and Chaz Davies. I am getting the impression that the gap between team mates this year is going to be a lot like last year between Bautista and Davies

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

Scott doing his best to be unemployable again...

https://www.crash.net/motogp/gossip/939 ... tt-redding

I'm sure it's not deliberate, and he just has a quotable turn of phrase, but I wish he'd just let his riding do the talking for a bit...

Apical

Post by Apical »

Leon Camier out for this season.

https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/wo ... part-ways/

So there is a ride going in SBK on a Ducati V4R.
With a good independent team.

Michele Pirro? Mike Jones? Who is your pick?
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Apical wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:15 pm
Leon Camier out for this season.

https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/wo ... part-ways/

So there is a ride going in SBK on a Ducati V4R.
With a good independent team.

Michele Pirro? Mike Jones? Who is your pick?
Randy Krummeancher and that would explain a lot

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

Read a report of a Melandri return to Barni.

Retirement means nothing these days!!

Apical

Post by Apical »

Yes Mikesbytes Randy K. would have made sense to me.
Or a young racer, but...

Schwantz34 has the news correct afaik https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/wo ... -melandri/

Welcome back Marco! If M.M.33 gets up to speed like Phillip Island 2018 on the Ducati V4R; look out Chaz Davies.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Melandri is 37 so still young enough for WSBK

Apical

Re: Young Marco M in WSBK

Post by Apical »

Marco Melandri has had a ride on the Barni Ducati with Showa suspension at Cremona in Italy. I dont know this circuit at all. The track is 3.45 kilometres long with a 970 metre straight. Jonas Folger has done a 1m25second lap on a Yamaha last year. The bike Jonas was on looks like a YART endurance racer as far as I can tell.

In this article RRW mentions that MM 33 did 100 laps & says that Marco had the track to himself for 2 hours. I'm assuming that Melandri took longer than 2 hours to do 100 laps. That would average out at about 1 minute 12 seconds per lap with no breaks, refueling etc.

https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/wo ... ng-ducati/

Yes Melandri is only 37 & can still ride a motorcycle. Good luck to him.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Damn such bad luck for Camier. He is such a talented rider and I'm sure would have had much more success but for the injuries that have hit him more often than most.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

WSBK is down to 9 rounds now and could end up being 8 as Argentina is in doubt. 4 of those rounds are in Spain.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Wow.. at least hopefully the one this coming weekend in Jerez should go ahead!

Think everyone watching the racing on TV should know that track like the back of their hand :D

Antipodean

Post by Antipodean »

That Rinaldi 'crash' in FP1 was straight up the strangest off I've seen in a long time. Looks like maybe the vreak was a little long and he forgot how to turn the bike.

https://www.worldsbk.com/en/videos/2020 ... ash%20clip

Redeemed himself in FP2 though. As did Redding - showing super pace in the race-like temperatures.

Apical

Re: WSBK round 2

Post by Apical »

They are back! Old man Melandri remembers how to ride a racebike, Chaz is still faster than Marco M.
Hoping Marco 33 will be up to Chaz's pace some time on Saturday. I'd like Chaz Davies to up his pace a bit too! Practice was curious for MM93. He went a little slower in the avro. Race fitness or heat? Or maybe not quite fully synchronized with the Barni racing Ducati V4R and it's set-up.
Seems we will have 9ish rounds of WSBK in 2020. Portimao next weekend which should be good. Four tracks on the Iberian peninsular.
Don't know Portimao I'll have to get it on the video game & learn the track. Do know Jerez well despite never riding it.

https://www.worldsbk.com/en/news/2020/N ... r+unveiled

If WSBK actually goes to Argentina it could be ten rounds.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

And Redding beats Rea in a straight fight. Interesting. I was thinking that Scott might win a few this year and be somewhere in the championship. But, this is looking very interesting.

EDIT: That was written after I'd only seen race 1. So, over the weekend Redding wins two races, and 2nd place in the third. He's now leading the championship. Clearly we've only had two weekends so for, but it's looking very likely that Redding will be able to challenge for the championship.

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

a MotoGP-like superbike could be a real sweet-spot for Redding, who was good, but too big, on a MotoGP bike.

I wonder how Kawasaki will play out, if Rea shows weakness, will Alex Lowes try to get past him?

Has Chaz done enough to keep himself on a ride for next year?