WSBK in 2020

Talk about the World Superbike series run by FGSport. Including World Superbikes, World Supersport, European Superstock, etc.
Mikesbytes

WSBK in 2020

Post by Mikesbytes »

Great first race at Phillip Island https://youtu.be/OBPz-ZU69h0
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Schwantz34

Re: WSBK in 2020

Post by Schwantz34 »

Love Toprak, really wish he'd got the second Kwak to get a bit of needle between him and Jonny. Maybe in the longer term Yamaha will be more likely to bear Moto GP fruit!!!!

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Great second race, looks like its going to be an interesting season https://youtu.be/FpYLYA4U8nI

herbs

Post by herbs »

That was fun. Phillip island produces close racing like that so let's see how close it at Qatar.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

I nearly forgot to watch the superpole race. Another good race https://youtu.be/sPxLDPiMg98

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

............ and Qatar WSB now postponed :twisted:

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

And after all the cancellations in 2020, the world championship finished as;
1st Alex Lowes 51 points
2nd Scott Redding 39 points
3rd Toprak Razgatlioglu 34 points
Lets all congratulate Alex on winning the 2020 championship

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

Do they have a set of B-tracks they could start looking at

I hear Knockhill is nice at this time of year...

[note for Antipodeans and other aliens, Knockhill is Scotland's warmest race track. This is like Holland's tallest mountain. Scots racers are a hardy breed and don't let little things like sheep blowing across the track stop them)

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:18 am
And after all the cancellations in 2020, the world championship finished as;
1st Alex Lowes 51 points
2nd Scott Redding 39 points
3rd Toprak Razgatlioglu 34 points
Lets all congratulate Alex on winning the 2020 championship
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
bikermike wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:49 am
Do they have a set of B-tracks they could start looking at

I hear Knockhill is nice at this time of year...

[note for Antipodeans and other aliens, Knockhill is Scotland's warmest race track. This is like Holland's tallest mountain. Scots racers are a hardy breed and don't let little things like sheep blowing across the track stop them)
I've been to a whole load of bitterly cold and soaking wet meetings at Knockhill!! I've also been to a couple where the sun has given me a good skelping too

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

First WSBK event to be moved and squeezed in between the moved MotoGP events. It's looking pretty crowded at the end of the season

https://www.crash.net/wsbk/news/937362/ ... dar-update

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Rea is tipping Razgatlioglu to be his successor in WSBK. https://www.crash.net/wsbk/news/938164/ ... -successor

I think that given his good results in the races that have been, that Redding will have something to say about that.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Win on Sunday, sell on Monday or watch the reviews on this years road versions of the world sbk bikes?

https://youtu.be/HeHCG3Fclv4

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

Has there been any update? I've seen a BSB programme, but not WSBK.

Apical

Post by Apical »

"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

Rea's jut signed for Kawasaki until the end of time...

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

bikermike wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:42 pm
Rea's jut signed for Kawasaki until the end of time...
none of the 3 articles I opened say how many years, just multiple years which means at least 2. He's 33 so that's a minimum of 35 before he retires

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

There's a bit in the article on Crash that suggests its more than 2 years.

if you exclude Rossi, 35 is old for a Racer...

Apical

Re: WSBK restarts in 2020

Post by Apical »

WOOHOO ! we have a new provisional calendar !!

https://motomatters.com/news/2020/06/19 ... eased.html

https://www.worldsbk.com/en/calendar

Two off seasons since the final race at Qatar was cancelled last year. Four months wait for Phillip Island Feb/March 2020.
Four months later and we still have another month to wait before Jerez WSBK.

Late is better than never.

Jonathan Rea old at 35 bikermike? Leaving Valentino out of the debate for the moment.
What about Max Biaggi, Max was winning in superbikes, on the Aprilia RSV4 in 2009, 2010, 2011 when he was 40!
Then won another 5 races in 2012 AND the world championship, at 41 years of age!

Troy Bayliss was winning SBK races & another superbike title at 39 years young. Won an Australian sbk race at 50. At Darwin in the tropical north of Oz.

Age is just a number. Other numbers are more important, lap times, championship points, mass, salary etc
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

IMO, age is more than just a number - it affects how well you bounce, how fast you recover and your appetite to risk. Affects different people in different ways, but there's a reason why Rossi is an outlier. It is noteable that WSBK tend to be older, but not by that much. Biaggi has since had a nasty accident and is no longer (AFAIK) racing.

Crash.net were saying their guess is that it is a 4-year deal. If so, that makes him 39 at the end, and that puts him far into the unusual age bracket.

Clearly both parties think he's up to the task, but if has a 4-year deal that is more likely than not to take him to the end of his career. It's got to mean no MotoGP for him (unless they drag the Avinitia out of the shed...), and it locks out one of the best seats in WSBK for 2 cycles of contracts for up-and-coming riders

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Where would Kawasaki be without Rea, who has won the championship 2015 - 2019
Team mate;
2015 Sykes - 3rd
2016 Sykes - 2nd
2017 Sykes - 3rd
2018 Sykes - 4th
2019 Haslam - 7th (but Razgatlıoğlu 5th also on a Kawasaki (Puccetti team))

That shows that if Rea wasn't in Kawasaki Racing Team, at best Kawasaki would of won 2016 assuming that Rea didn't win on whatever bike he was riding

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Having Rea there for another four years gives younger up and coming riders such as Razgatlioglu someone to aim at. During these four years I wouldn't be surprised if we see a changing of the guard from the Rea era to a new era. In the same way that we saw Lorenzo beat Rossi and then Marquez take over.

I agree with @Mikesbytes that Kawaski looks all-conquering, but if they didn't have Rea things might have been different.

Apical

Post by Apical »

In defense of Old Tom.
Mikesbytes I think you should have gone back a bit further.

Kawasaki SBK world champions with Scott Russell on the ZXR750 back in 1993...

Then nothing for twenty years until Tom Sykes wins the championship in 2013
Tom has beaten Jonathon many times on the same bike(2015 to 2017 ish) so he can be as fast as Rea.
This year at the only round so far Old Tom put the BMW on pole position.
9th in race 1, 10th in race 2, 6th in the 10 lap superpole race, not that great but not so bad.
Tom is tenth in the chip, equal points with Leon Haslam who had Tom's ride on the Kwaka & lost it. Little Leon is no slouch either.
Sykesy is miles ahead of the next Bimmer, Eugene Laverty who can also ride rather well.
I like Tom and also like Leon. Was lucky enough to meet Tom at an Indian restaurant at Castle Donington, & Sykes took the time to say Hello & have a chat, top bloke! When I met the Haslams in the Kawasaki hospo I got Rocket Ron's autograph first before Leon's.
Pocket rocket wasn't best pleased about that.
Tom Sykes can ride a motorcycle, only 34, please don't write him off yet.

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

At what point did Kawasaki start throwing money at the championship (an unanswerable question as no-one will tell the true numbers, nor can we establish what is "throwing money")?

It's clear that Kawa put a lot more resource into WSBK than the other manufacturers apart from Ducati

Does that explain Rea's record, or does Rea's performance explain why they are willing to spend the money?

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Sorry Apical, wasn't intending to bag anyone. What I meant to communicate is that over the 5 years if you take Rea out of the championship leaving the remaining riders then Kawasaki would of only got 1 of those 5 titles

Of course like any of these what ifs, it could be argued that the development at Kawasaki was pointed at Rea and if Rea wasn't there then it would of been pointed at someone else and that person could of won accordingly.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

I rate Leon Camier too, I think fully fit on the Duke may spring a surprise or too. Really admired Sykes when he turned the Kwak into a race winning bike and then the championship but I felt he came across poorly when him and Baz didn't get on well