WSBK 2019

Talk about the World Superbike series run by FGSport. Including World Superbikes, World Supersport, European Superstock, etc.
Fingernails

Re: WSBK 2019

Post by Fingernails »

I agree. I think Brook's experience will help him beat Scott this year. (Though, there has been interesting discussion in other threads about the role of the shootout at the end.) However, I'm sure that Scott will get a good chance next year to show what he can do when he knows the tracks.

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

by that stage, won't he be pulled back into the pack of contenders?

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

bikermike wrote:by that stage, won't he be pulled back into the pack of contenders?
The rules for BSB are very complicated. But, once they get to the shootout, the points are equalised somewhat. Every rider in the shootout gets 500 points plus3 for every win they've had, 2 for every 2nd place, 1 for every third place. This means that if Scott stays in the first six, he can probably afford to be a bit behind as he'll catch up then. And, once the shootout starts, they'll be visiting tracks that Redding knows either because he's raced there in other series, or because they're visiting tracks
that they've been to earlier in the season. This would probably give Redding a good crack at the title.

It wasn't me who originally posted this. I'm not 100% convinced as I don't expect that Redding will be dominating Brooks by then. But, it's certainly a plausible hypothesis. EDIT: I went and looked and this is Vmax666's theory.

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

Sorry, I meant if he had to wait until next year to get the BSB title.

I agree that the shoot-out gives him a bit of a second chance this season, but if he wants to force his way back into MotoGP on raw talent (and unless he's radically different to other British riders, isn't going to bring a lot of money with him, and his bust-ups in the paddock don't leave him as a safe pair of hands), he's go to get right on it now.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

bikermike wrote:Sorry, I meant if he had to wait until next year to get the BSB title.

I agree that the shoot-out gives him a bit of a second chance this season, but if he wants to force his way back into MotoGP on raw talent (and unless he's radically different to other British riders, isn't going to bring a lot of money with him, and his bust-ups in the paddock don't leave him as a safe pair of hands), he's go to get right on it now.
Is World Superbikes not a good career path? If he becomes a Ducati man, then that's a good team to go to in WSBK. Though, I feel that if it were Bautista vs. Redding on the same bike, I'd put my money on Bautista.

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

I'm not sure any motorcycle racing is a "good career path" compared to, say chartered accountancy... more fun though...

I think at the moment, WSBK is a bit of a dead end (Bautista is doing the current grid no favours in that respect) - if Rea could be tickled over and do well, that might change things. There are a lot of MotoGP refugees in WSBK, but I can't think of any recent cross-overs the other way

Also, Scott has made comments about a two-year plan to be "back" (to what unspecified, but presumably MotoGP/Moto2) - which might be an honestly-expressed ambitious plan, but possibly not one to make quite that public.

JanBros

Post by JanBros »

Crutchlow is from WSBK
Danilo Petruci came from the WSBK paddock, but only competed in superstock 600 and 1000 and than to CRT-Moto GP
Spies , Edwards, Toseland and Bayliss to from WSBK and competitive.
Eugene Laverty was from WSBK and was no slouch in MotoGP, Baz was competitive, especialy in the rain.
Rea, Vande Mark and A Lowes have replaced injured riders in recent years and performed well, certainly considering the limited time they had to adjust to the bikes and certainly the tyres.
Bi-stroker Parallelus Bi-cylindricus

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

With the exception of Cal (and Petrux who didn't go via WSBK itself), none of them are there now though are they?
Cal's been there a while now too

hence my comment "at the moment"
I suspect being British doesn't help right now either...

WorldSBK

Post by WorldSBK »

I am not British but do admire Britain for having so many talented racers at the world stage.

MotoGP is the Formula 1 of motorcycle racing, nobody contests that.
But it seems that we lost sight that WSBK is a world championship where many other countries would like to see their own racers/teams compete at that level. I met many racers at Laguna Seca in the American SBK championship, I can tell you that most would love to compete at the WSBK level. But we are not there yet.

Britain has great racers and is not far from the top. Keep building up your great racing culture folks.

yamfan

Post by yamfan »

bikermike wrote:Interesting that Rea and Crutchlow both went via WSS - they are probably the most successful of the recent graduates
Toseland went BSB-WSBK-MotoGP-WSBK

Bradley Ray has gone Moto2 - BSS - BSB with a ride at Suzuka, so it wiill be interesting to see which way he goes
I have to say that I think Scott Redding has blown his chance, unless he Bautista-d the field this year, he doesn't make a compelling case to go back up (usual disclaimer that he has more talent in his hair than I have in my whole body, and having raced I know a teeny bit of what it's like)
Alex Lowes has gone BSS - WSS - Moto2 - MotoGP - Moto2 - so didn't touch BSB at all
Sam Lowes has gone 125GP - WSS - BSB - WSBK (With a few wildcards in MotoGP).
Alex Lowes is the rider in the Yamaha wsbk team and Sam is the moto 2 rider...
You had them the wrong around buddy.

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

Oh well, in statistical terms it makes no odds...

I wonder if they've ever sneakily swapped - Wiki says they are identical twins...

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Jerez on this weekend https://www.mcnews.com.au/2019-wsbk-rnd6-jerez-pre/

So Bautista or Rea or ?
My signature isn't particularly interesting

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

"There may not be a track on the calendar where Bautista has ridden more miles or with a wider variety of bikes, even making his WorldSBK debut there back in November."

My (metatphorical[1]) money's on Bautista - when it's this close track knowledge will count.

[1] I don't bet, me and a mate did an accumulator in college on the Tyson v Holyfield fignt - we got the whole card right including an infinite number of super-hard flywieght mexicans - apart from the main fight. If we'd put 50p on the Holyfield on the main fight we'd have done better than if our accumulator had worked...

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I'm surprised that there isn't more discussion of Rea's move on Lowes.

I've been watching this on quarter speed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAbJt_ZQxqU

It seems quite clear what happened. I'm surprised that Rea's penalty, if he's judged responsibility for the accident, is only a one place demotion. That effectively puts him back where he would have been had he not made the move. That's not really a deterrent against such moves as if the only downside is go back where you are, then you might as well give it a go.

I'm not saying that the penalty is wrong, just noting the lack of deterrent in such a penalty.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Fingernails wrote:I'm surprised that there isn't more discussion of Rea's move on Lowes.

I've been watching this on quarter speed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAbJt_ZQxqU

It seems quite clear what happened. I'm surprised that Rea's penalty, if he's judged responsibility for the accident, is only a one place demotion. That effectively puts him back where he would have been had he not made the move. That's not really a deterrent against such moves as if the only downside is go back where you are, then you might as well give it a go.

I'm not saying that the penalty is wrong, just noting the lack of deterrent in such a penalty.
Was that in practice or qualifying?

JanBros

Post by JanBros »

last corner of the race, fighting for 3rd

so it is a typical racing incident and many similar incidents go unpunished.
Bi-stroker Parallelus Bi-cylindricus

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

@Mikesbytes - in the race.
JanBros wrote:last corner of the race, fighting for 3rd

so it is a typical racing incident and many similar incidents go unpunished.
I would describe this as 'more or less' unpunished.

I was a bit mystified at the reaction to the incident as I didn't see it as being as bad as all the reaction (including Rea's apology) made it out to be. Was the contact inevitable from the moment that Rea made the move? The commentators I saw did use the world 'inevitable'. I'm reminded of some quite robust last-lap overtakes, e.g. by Rossi on Gibernau, when Rossi was in his prime.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

That was a rather unexpected race 2.

Overall van der Mark is the biggest scorer this weekend. Despite his 16th in Race 2, Bautista still outscores Rea. But, after the last two races, it's looking far from being the complete domination it looked it might be at the beginning of the year.

The crash between Melandri and Davies was one of the strangest crashes I've seen. Davies was sort of sitting on Melandri's bike while sliding off the track.

Vmax666

Post by Vmax666 »

I don’t think it was reckless of rea. Just a racing incident, rather see the occasional crash than no one trying to overtake
We’ve all seen worse go unpunished
Good to see Bautista smiling after his fall
Rea looks stressed and listening to much to what others are saying,
Overall though not a classic year in wsbk, but good to see a class rider on a great bike making it look easy even if it’s not entertaining

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

My comment above about Bautista still out-scoring Rea this weekend is incorrect, due to the very complicated points structure for WSBK whereby different races have different points.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

FP1 has Rea on the top of the timesheets at Misano, but not by a lot over van der Mark and Bautista.

Michele Pirro doing a wildcard for Barni Ducati. I'm wondering what that means? Is he the WSBK factory tester? Is he effectively riding a factory WSBK bike? Is he factory supported?

Apical

Post by Apical »

Two Barni racing bikes.
Michelle Pirro only a third of a second off regular rider Michael Reuben Rinaldi.

Six panigale V4Rs. Wondering if there is a strategy behind this or maybe not.
Zanetti races in the CIV, only lives a few hundred ks away. Looks like the CIV isn't racing this weekend.
Wonder why he is at Misano, possibly feels the higher level in WSBK will help him improve.
Samuele Cavalieri & Zanetti are riding for Motocorsa.

Zanetti is replacing Eugene Laverty. (Go Eleven).
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

Vmax666

Post by Vmax666 »

It will be interesting to see how pirro goes
Commentators on Eurosport said he did all the testing for the wsbk v4 so should be very familiar with it
But I think he will be inside the top ten behind Davies

Shame for Van der Mark looked good in practice
Honda must surely be embarrassed I know they say they are looking to next year but I’d expect to see some improvements if that is the case
I was hoping bmw would have something faster this week as well

Hopefully rea can mount a challenge

Apical

Post by Apical »

Hope Michael van der Mark makes a full recovery
It would have to be his right wrist, expletive!
Michael was looking like the one to challenge Jonathan & Alvaro.

That's racing.

More power to Alex Lowes & whoever gets to ride Magic Michael's bike!
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

In an article it listed the races that van der Mark could miss and while is speculation it went all the way to the Suzuki 8 hour

Race 1 wet and red flagged, then restarted. Rea trimmed a few points back on Bautista. Pirro 8th in the red flagged race and DNF in the restart, the rain makes it difficult to analyse Pirro