WSBK 2019

Talk about the World Superbike series run by FGSport. Including World Superbikes, World Supersport, European Superstock, etc.
Vmax666
Posts: 217
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 10:10 pm

Re: WSBK 2019

Post by Vmax666 »

Not to sure on what a sprung valve engines would rev to
But valve and spring material play a big part and I am not sure what mods can be done to these within the rules

Ducati have definitely built to the rules and anticipated rev reductions so I don’t expect any lack of performance from them
But as everyone knows being at the top is a mental game and if a rider thinks he has a change then it might affect how he rides
Watching practice ducati seemed to be doing quite a few changes. And Bautista didn’t look as comfortable as he has done
So maybe he is overthinking the loss in performance.
I know assen can bring the racing closer but after winning by 15secs I would expect them to be well in the front come race day

User avatar
Mikesbytes
Posts: 2501
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:04 am

Re: WSBK 2019

Post by Mikesbytes »

Well that was a good race for 2nd
My signature isn't particularly interesting

User avatar
Tourn46
Posts: 3399
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 5:09 pm
Location: UK

Re: WSBK 2019

Post by Tourn46 »

This 2 race on a Sunday, no races on a Saturday idea is fantastic, why didn't they think of this before?...

User avatar
Mikesbytes
Posts: 2501
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:04 am

Re: WSBK 2019

Post by Mikesbytes »

The schedule is only showing 2 races on Sunday, so no sprint race. Wouldn't surprise me if it changes again
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Vmax666
Posts: 217
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 10:10 pm

Re: WSBK 2019

Post by Vmax666 »

Having watched the second race today Bautista is definitely Head and shoulders above the others
It is the first time I have seen rea and Bautista racing without the advantage of straight line speed and bautistas speed in the corners is amazing
Rea is still a great rider but needs to re think the riding style to try to copy what Bautista is doing

User avatar
WorldSBK
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:59 am

Re: WSBK 2019

Post by WorldSBK »

Great races !!

Yes, Rea is still great but will have to put up with more hungry wolves now :D
_______________________________
http://www.worldsbk.com

User avatar
JanBros
Posts: 1887
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: The land of Francorchamps

Re: WSBK 2019

Post by JanBros »

Rea's start and first 2 corner's in race 2 were fenominal.
Bi-stroker Parallelus Bi-cylindricus

Rick650
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:47 am

Re: WSBK 2019

Post by Rick650 »

I suspect what Rae is doing would not work on the Ducati and what Bautista is doing would not suit the Kawa.
The Ducati does not just have top end, it has acceleration and Bautista is using this well everywhere he can.
I wonder if Sykes on a Ducati would be a good match.

User avatar
Mikesbytes
Posts: 2501
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:04 am

Re: WSBK 2019

Post by Mikesbytes »

Race 2 Rea was able to control Bautista for a while but once Bautista had clear air he was gone and once again a great race for 2nd
My signature isn't particularly interesting

User avatar
Fingernails
Posts: 1546
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:41 pm

Re: WSBK 2019

Post by Fingernails »

How do the rules work? Will Ducati have their revs modified again this season?

EDIT: Rev limits revised every three races, and possibly at the end of the season. https://motomatters.com/news/2017/10/26 ... l_rev.html In which case: bit odd that didn't balance out more than it did last year.

It seems to me that the Duke's advantage has reduced, but it still has a margin. I noted Davies getting nearer the front, though fading. EDIT: We'll see what happens after three more races.

EDIT2: Oh, the Ducati V4 still has a lot more revs than any other team. I guess that this will be equalised throughout the year. I wonder what they are letting the bike rev to. It seems that Yamaha aren't using all of their rev limit for reliability reasons. http://resources.worldsbk.com/newsdesk/ ... ations.pdf

kenup283
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:40 am

Re: WSBK 2019

Post by kenup283 »

Tourn46 wrote:This 2 race on a Sunday, no races on a Saturday idea is fantastic, why didn't they think of this before?...
Well played had me laughing. I guess we just need more weather delays on Saturdays and things can go back to how they’ve always been before :)

User avatar
Mikesbytes
Posts: 2501
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:04 am

Re: WSBK 2019

Post by Mikesbytes »

What I found interesting about the rev changes is that they applied one step of 250rpm to Ducati but 2 steps of 250rpm to Honda. I understand that Honda needs more ponies but if the process allows a jump of 500 up, then why not a jump of 500 down for Ducati V4? Anyway I'm sure we will see Ducati loose another 250rpm after 2 more rounds.

Ducati and Kawasaki aren't allowed any parts and that is making me think that Ducati might use a local series or two to develop parts for the 2020 bike

BTW, did you notice this in the rev limits;
Kawasaki 2018 - 14100
Kawasaki 2019 - 14600
My signature isn't particularly interesting

User avatar
Tourn46
Posts: 3399
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 5:09 pm
Location: UK

Re: WSBK 2019

Post by Tourn46 »

Mikesbytes wrote: BTW, did you notice this in the rev limits;
Kawasaki 2018 - 14100
Kawasaki 2019 - 14600
The 2019 Kawasaki is 'enough' of a new bike to be classified as such, with no balancing in place... something like that.

User avatar
Tourn46
Posts: 3399
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 5:09 pm
Location: UK

Re: WSBK 2019

Post by Tourn46 »

Mikesbytes wrote:What I found interesting about the rev changes is that they applied one step of 250rpm to Ducati but 2 steps of 250rpm to Honda. I understand that Honda needs more ponies but if the process allows a jump of 500 up, then why not a jump of 500 down for Ducati V4? Anyway I'm sure we will see Ducati loose another 250rpm after 2 more rounds.
Because it's based on an algorithm to look at the performance of all the bikes and I'm under the impression it's not necessarily about who's winning (seeing as Kawasaki had no rev restrictions applied in 2018)... because the other Ducati's are nowhere near Bautista either.

Vmax666
Posts: 217
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 10:10 pm

Re: WSBK 2019

Post by Vmax666 »

Tommy BRIDEWELL to replace laverty
Not good to break both wrists especially if it was a technical fault that caused it
Looking forward to see how he goes on a full sbk spec bike after a good showing at Oulton

User avatar
Fingernails
Posts: 1546
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:41 pm

Re: WSBK 2019

Post by Fingernails »

Vmax666 wrote:Tommy BRIDEWELL to replace laverty
Not good to break both wrists especially if it was a technical fault that caused it
Looking forward to see how he goes on a full sbk spec bike after a good showing at Oulton
He certainly rode well at Oulton. I wonder if there will be any benefits for him in BSB from the experience he gets working with the WSBK Ducati team.

What's the history of BSB riders going to WSBK? Haslam did, of course. I don't know how frequent this has been in the past.

User avatar
JanBros
Posts: 1887
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: The land of Francorchamps

Re: WSBK 2019

Post by JanBros »

Fingernails wrote:
Vmax666 wrote:Tommy BRIDEWELL to replace laverty
Not good to break both wrists especially if it was a technical fault that caused it
Looking forward to see how he goes on a full sbk spec bike after a good showing at Oulton
He certainly rode well at Oulton. I wonder if there will be any benefits for him in BSB from the experience he gets working with the WSBK Ducati team.

What's the history of BSB riders going to WSBK? Haslam did, of course. I don't know how frequent this has been in the past.
(almost?) every current britisch/(northern) irisch rider has ridden in BSB
Bi-stroker Parallelus Bi-cylindricus

Vmax666
Posts: 217
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 10:10 pm

Re: WSBK 2019

Post by Vmax666 »

Great ride by rea
Almost as good by Bautista
Theses 2 still way ahead of the others so I would assume rea has found something on the Kawasaki as well as it being a hard track for Bautista
Will be interesting to se how they go today in the sprint
BRIDEWELL did good considering he has not ridden with the full electronics package before. Interesting to hear his team manager saying they were here to check out different settings and hoping for the new swingarm

Overall though not the best race to watch as it was quite strung out

User avatar
Fingernails
Posts: 1546
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:41 pm

Re: WSBK 2019

Post by Fingernails »

JanBros wrote:
Fingernails wrote: What's the history of BSB riders going to WSBK? Haslam did, of course. I don't know how frequent this has been in the past.
(almost?) every current britisch/(northern) irisch rider has ridden in BSB
Thanks. Of the current batch of Brits in WSBK, Chaz Davies doesn't seem to have raced in BSB. The previous champions in BSB have generally had at least a ride in WSBK. It looks as if BSB is a reasonable pathway to world super bikes, and I wonder if Redding will follow that path.

Interesting that most BSB champions went straight to WSBK, but Jonathan Rea spent a year in World Super-sport before transitioning to WSBK.

User avatar
Mikesbytes
Posts: 2501
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:04 am

Re: WSBK 2019

Post by Mikesbytes »

Ah! I didn't realise that it was race weekend. Despite this being the first time that Bautista didn't win Rea isn't that far off him points wise
My signature isn't particularly interesting

User avatar
Tourn46
Posts: 3399
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 5:09 pm
Location: UK

Re: WSBK 2019

Post by Tourn46 »

Fingernails wrote: What's the history of BSB riders going to WSBK? Haslam did, of course. I don't know how frequent this has been in the past.
Crutchlow is one which took an unusual path... BSB to WSS to WSBK to MotoGP

(He did win the WSS title)
Last edited by Tourn46 on Wed May 15, 2019 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bikermike
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 10:55 am

Re: WSBK 2019

Post by bikermike »

Interesting that Rea and Crutchlow both went via WSS - they are probably the most successful of the recent graduates
Toseland went BSB-WSBK-MotoGP-WSBK

Bradley Ray has gone Moto2 - BSS - BSB with a ride at Suzuka, so it wiill be interesting to see which way he goes
I have to say that I think Scott Redding has blown his chance, unless he Bautista-d the field this year, he doesn't make a compelling case to go back up (usual disclaimer that he has more talent in his hair than I have in my whole body, and having raced I know a teeny bit of what it's like)
Alex Lowes has gone BSS - WSS - Moto2 - MotoGP - Moto2 - so didn't touch BSB at all
Sam Lowes has gone 125GP - WSS - BSB - WSBK (With a few wildcards in MotoGP).

User avatar
Tourn46
Posts: 3399
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 5:09 pm
Location: UK

Re: WSBK 2019

Post by Tourn46 »

bikermike wrote: I have to say that I think Scott Redding has blown his chance, unless he Bautista-d the field this year, he doesn't make a compelling case to go back up.
I agree that he needs to do something special, but he broke his femur in a training accident just before the season, I'm not sure how much that's hindered him so far (it may very well be that he'd be finishing in the same positions regardless).

bikermike
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 10:55 am

Re: WSBK 2019

Post by bikermike »

Tourn46 wrote:
bikermike wrote: I have to say that I think Scott Redding has blown his chance, unless he Bautista-d the field this year, he doesn't make a compelling case to go back up.
I agree that he needs to do something special, but he broke his femur in a training accident just before the season, I'm not sure how much that's hindered him so far (it may very well be that he'd be finishing in the same positions regardless).


I did not know that. Ouch.
This is the problem with burning lots of bridges, unforntate events like that can really become insurmountable. I hope that's not the case, and I hope he stands or falls (so to speak) by his performances.

AntG23985
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:39 pm

Re: WSBK 2019

Post by AntG23985 »

bikermike wrote:Interesting that Rea and Crutchlow both went via WSS - they are probably the most successful of the recent graduates
Toseland went BSB-WSBK-MotoGP-WSBK

Bradley Ray has gone Moto2 - BSS - BSB with a ride at Suzuka, so it wiill be interesting to see which way he goes
I have to say that I think Scott Redding has blown his chance, unless he Bautista-d the field this year, he doesn't make a compelling case to go back up (usual disclaimer that he has more talent in his hair than I have in my whole body, and having raced I know a teeny bit of what it's like)
Alex Lowes has gone BSS - WSS - Moto2 - MotoGP - Moto2 - so didn't touch BSB at all
Sam Lowes has gone 125GP - WSS - BSB - WSBK (With a few wildcards in MotoGP).
Toseland did a couple of seasons in WSS as well.

Regarding Redding he's a rookie in BSB, ok Bautista is a rookie in WSBK but he has knowledge of all but 3 tracks. Redding raced at Oulton Park for the first time in his career the other day and said he wasn't ashamed to admit that the circuit actually scared him, I don't think he's ever raced at Cadwell or Knockhill, he's not done Brands GP either. I think he's done well in his first two meetings, he's not a million miles away from the top step just a lack of experience with the circuits and the different rules.

Post Reply