WSBK 2019

Talk about the World Superbike series run by FGSport. Including World Superbikes, World Supersport, European Superstock, etc.

Re: WSBK 2019

Postby Fingernails on Thu May 16, 2019 7:37 pm

I agree. I think Brook's experience will help him beat Scott this year. (Though, there has been interesting discussion in other threads about the role of the shootout at the end.) However, I'm sure that Scott will get a good chance next year to show what he can do when he knows the tracks.
Fingernails

Postby bikermike on Fri May 17, 2019 4:41 pm

by that stage, won't he be pulled back into the pack of contenders?
bikermike

Postby Fingernails on Fri May 17, 2019 11:01 pm

bikermike wrote:by that stage, won't he be pulled back into the pack of contenders?

The rules for BSB are very complicated. But, once they get to the shootout, the points are equalised somewhat. Every rider in the shootout gets 500 points plus3 for every win they've had, 2 for every 2nd place, 1 for every third place. This means that if Scott stays in the first six, he can probably afford to be a bit behind as he'll catch up then. And, once the shootout starts, they'll be visiting tracks that Redding knows either because he's raced there in other series, or because they're visiting tracks
that they've been to earlier in the season. This would probably give Redding a good crack at the title.

It wasn't me who originally posted this. I'm not 100% convinced as I don't expect that Redding will be dominating Brooks by then. But, it's certainly a plausible hypothesis. EDIT: I went and looked and this is Vmax666's theory.
Fingernails

Postby bikermike on Mon May 20, 2019 2:32 pm

Sorry, I meant if he had to wait until next year to get the BSB title.

I agree that the shoot-out gives him a bit of a second chance this season, but if he wants to force his way back into MotoGP on raw talent (and unless he's radically different to other British riders, isn't going to bring a lot of money with him, and his bust-ups in the paddock don't leave him as a safe pair of hands), he's go to get right on it now.
bikermike

Postby Fingernails on Mon May 20, 2019 4:52 pm

bikermike wrote:Sorry, I meant if he had to wait until next year to get the BSB title.

I agree that the shoot-out gives him a bit of a second chance this season, but if he wants to force his way back into MotoGP on raw talent (and unless he's radically different to other British riders, isn't going to bring a lot of money with him, and his bust-ups in the paddock don't leave him as a safe pair of hands), he's go to get right on it now.

Is World Superbikes not a good career path? If he becomes a Ducati man, then that's a good team to go to in WSBK. Though, I feel that if it were Bautista vs. Redding on the same bike, I'd put my money on Bautista.
Fingernails

Postby bikermike on Tue May 21, 2019 10:02 am

I'm not sure any motorcycle racing is a "good career path" compared to, say chartered accountancy... more fun though...

I think at the moment, WSBK is a bit of a dead end (Bautista is doing the current grid no favours in that respect) - if Rea could be tickled over and do well, that might change things. There are a lot of MotoGP refugees in WSBK, but I can't think of any recent cross-overs the other way

Also, Scott has made comments about a two-year plan to be "back" (to what unspecified, but presumably MotoGP/Moto2) - which might be an honestly-expressed ambitious plan, but possibly not one to make quite that public.
bikermike

Postby JanBros on Tue May 21, 2019 11:55 am

Crutchlow is from WSBK
Danilo Petruci came from the WSBK paddock, but only competed in superstock 600 and 1000 and than to CRT-Moto GP
Spies , Edwards, Toseland and Bayliss to from WSBK and competitive.
Eugene Laverty was from WSBK and was no slouch in MotoGP, Baz was competitive, especialy in the rain.
Rea, Vande Mark and A Lowes have replaced injured riders in recent years and performed well, certainly considering the limited time they had to adjust to the bikes and certainly the tyres.
Bi-stroker Parallelus Bi-cylindricus
JanBros

Postby bikermike on Tue May 21, 2019 3:18 pm

With the exception of Cal (and Petrux who didn't go via WSBK itself), none of them are there now though are they?
Cal's been there a while now too

hence my comment "at the moment"
I suspect being British doesn't help right now either...
bikermike

Postby WorldSBK on Tue May 21, 2019 5:29 pm

I am not British but do admire Britain for having so many talented racers at the world stage.

MotoGP is the Formula 1 of motorcycle racing, nobody contests that.
But it seems that we lost sight that WSBK is a world championship where many other countries would like to see their own racers/teams compete at that level. I met many racers at Laguna Seca in the American SBK championship, I can tell you that most would love to compete at the WSBK level. But we are not there yet.

Britain has great racers and is not far from the top. Keep building up your great racing culture folks.

Postby yamfan on Wed May 22, 2019 6:27 pm

bikermike wrote:Interesting that Rea and Crutchlow both went via WSS - they are probably the most successful of the recent graduates
Toseland went BSB-WSBK-MotoGP-WSBK

Bradley Ray has gone Moto2 - BSS - BSB with a ride at Suzuka, so it wiill be interesting to see which way he goes
I have to say that I think Scott Redding has blown his chance, unless he Bautista-d the field this year, he doesn't make a compelling case to go back up (usual disclaimer that he has more talent in his hair than I have in my whole body, and having raced I know a teeny bit of what it's like)
Alex Lowes has gone BSS - WSS - Moto2 - MotoGP - Moto2 - so didn't touch BSB at all
Sam Lowes has gone 125GP - WSS - BSB - WSBK (With a few wildcards in MotoGP).

Alex Lowes is the rider in the Yamaha wsbk team and Sam is the moto 2 rider...
You had them the wrong around buddy.
yamfan

Postby bikermike on Thu May 23, 2019 6:27 pm

Oh well, in statistical terms it makes no odds...

I wonder if they've ever sneakily swapped - Wiki says they are identical twins...
bikermike

Previous

Return to World Superbikes And Supersport