Qatar Moto2+3 2020-03-08

Debate and discussion about the feeder classes of MotoGP, including the fabulous 250s, the thrilling 125s, and the madness that is the Red Bull Rookies
Mikesbytes

Qatar Moto2+3 2020-03-08

Post by Mikesbytes »

I've put the thread here as there's no MotoGP race. Perhaps this forum's name should be updated to include Moto3 :)
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Mikesbytes

Re: Qatar Moto2+3 2020-03-08

Post by Mikesbytes »

#QatarGP
Top 5 Moto2™ & Moto3™ moments | 2019 Qatar GP -> https://youtu.be/-sJ0eqRcazg
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

** Spoilers within **

I've seen a reasonably long highlights of the Moto2 race. It was a cracking race, with a number of new faces at the front. However, Roberts and Nagashima are both riders with considerable experience in Moto2. Why did they suddenly shine this time?

WayneG

Post by WayneG »

In Robert's case it is largely down to a bike change and increased input from the team. Last year he was stuck on the KTM which in its original form in 2019 was a lemon. The KTM only showed potential in the 2nd half of the season after 5 or 6 new frames. AFAIK the new frames were only given to Binder and Martin, so Joe spent the season on the original frame which gave him no feel or confidence at all. This year, with the withdrawal of KTM as frame suppliers, Team America switched to Kalex frames which Roberts immediately felt at home with. I'm sure adding John Hopkins to the team as a rider coach has also helped greatly.

Nagashima is largely due to the Ajo's shrewd eye for talent. Ajo needed a replacement for Binder and identified Nagashima's potential and signed him to the main team.
My first love was my motorbike, we went through everything together. Wind, rain, fences..

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Thanks Wayne. Very interesting analysis.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

Fingernails wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:38 pm
** Spoilers within **

I've seen a reasonably long highlights of the Moto2 race. It was a cracking race, with a number of new faces at the front. However, Roberts and Nagashima are both riders with considerable experience in Moto2. Why did they suddenly shine this time?
Nagashima started to shine a fair bit last year, he qualified pretty well in a fair number of races maybe even got pole in Austria and was skittled in the race. Seemed to have a habit of being up there at the start but fading from mid race onwards.

Would be great to have a serious Japanese star at the top of Moto GP or WSB. Nori Haga is pretty much equal to Kevin Schwantz as my all time favourite rider, other Japanese legends include Norifumi Abe and I had an all too short admiration for Shoya Tomizawa

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Yes agreed, definitely lack of Japanese riders at the top over recent years. Agreed about Haga and Abe, I still watch that Suzuka race with Abe on the Mr. Donut bike vs. Doohan, Schwantz etc. from time to time! The one that ended with Abe leaving a 50m long darkie into the gravel trap when he lost the front but was still a legendary performance.

I think that is starting to change now and the small classes in particular are getting a load of fast lads who have come through talent cup and other similar classes.

I wonder with Nagashima if he hasn't had the kit/backing before (from WayneG's comments it sounds like the same with Roberts), as soon as they get a decent bike and some good support they get a chance to shine.