Debate and discussion about the feeder classes of MotoGP, including the fabulous 250s, the thrilling 125s, and the madness that is the Red Bull Rookies
Vmax666

Re: 2018

Post by Vmax666 »

Very disappointing to see all the Ktm struggling
Maybe they have taken to much on with being in all 3 classes
Really good race though and it was good to see luthi perform well after a bad year last year in MotoGP

Hopefully ktm will have enough improved chassis at the next round for all their riders

Vmax666

Post by Vmax666 »

Ktm don’t look like they can resolve their issues in moto 2
I feel for all the ktm riders as it’s their career being ruined having to ride a bike that is way off the pace
Unfortunately it will lead to a one make kalex series next year with the occasional good result for speedup
Look what happened to suter, from winners to not even being on the grid ( unless you include their work on the mv)

Morpheus

Post by Morpheus »

I don't think KTM are ready to throw in the towel just yet. In fact it will do them good. They will come back stronger. They are not quitters. Quitting is not in their DNA.
What are you waiting for, you're faster than this
Don't think you are, know you are

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

In the commentary for Moto2 last race, they (KTM) commended their rivals for doing a better job than KTM had. The commentators reported that KTM said that it would take a whole new frame to address the gap to Kalex and Speed Up. I think they said that they were working on bringing a new frame.

Vmax666

Post by Vmax666 »

It will only do them good if they learn something from it
How long does it take a dedicated factory to build a new frame?
If they can’t build one for the works riders what chance have the others got
I am not sure they will turn it around this year
I would like to see them at the front. But if I were a team owner looking to next year kalex would be the one for me

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Vmax666 wrote:It will only do them good if they learn something from it
How long does it take a dedicated factory to build a new frame?
If they can’t build one for the works riders what chance have the others got
I am not sure they will turn it around this year
I would like to see them at the front. But if I were a team owner looking to next year kalex would be the one for me
KTM claims that they can build frames quickly. I would guess that the problem is that they don't yet know how they should redesign the frame to compete with Kalex. They may lose some teams through being uncompetitive, but as long as they have their factory team, I'd guess that good results in the future would bring teams back again.

With there being so many Kalex teams, then if another chassis could appear to have an advantage then teams may jump ship in order to get an advantage. This may be what happened due to KTM's good results later on last year. However, I don't know exactly when contracts are signed up.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Suppose it depends whether the issue is a fine tuning of the existing frame or there's a fundamental problem with the design meaning that a new approach is needed and of course it depends on their ability to understand the problem and to understand what to do.

I'm also wondering if there's an overlap between KTM's problems in Moto2 and MotoGP
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Mikesbytes wrote:Suppose it depends whether the issue is a fine tuning of the existing frame or there's a fundamental problem with the design meaning that a new approach is needed and of course it depends on their ability to understand the problem and to understand what to do.
KTM said that a frame update wouldn't solve the problem and they need a complete redesign.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Fingernails wrote:
Mikesbytes wrote:Suppose it depends whether the issue is a fine tuning of the existing frame or there's a fundamental problem with the design meaning that a new approach is needed and of course it depends on their ability to understand the problem and to understand what to do.
KTM said that a frame update wouldn't solve the problem and they need a complete redesign.
It's a shame because there's some great riders on KTM's in Moto2 this year.

Apical

Re: KTM

Post by Apical »

Brad Binder quick today, 8th in fp1, fastest in fp2
Next KTM tenth in fp2.
Jake Dixon second fastest KTM in fp1. He went slower in fp2?
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I was a bit doubtful about where Binder would end up in qualifying, despite his free practice pace. But, he's in second, only a tenth and a bit off pole. The next KTM is Martin, in 14th!

It'll now be interesting to see what he does in the race. KTM were saying that they were bringing an updated frame, but that they didn't think it would be of much benefit. Does Binder have a bike that is in some way better than the other KTMs, or is this a very special qualifying performance by Binder?

Apical

Re: 2018 KTM

Post by Apical »

David Emmett was our after dinner speaker last night and he said Assen is a circuit where the bike is not so important. I interpreted that to mean the rider is more important than the bike at Assen.
Great qualifying from Remy Gardner.
Saw somewhere it was Remy's 1st pole position but I'm sure Gardner took pole at Silverspoon in 2018.
Maybe it's been forgotten because their was no racing at the British motorcycle grand Prix last year
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Binder! At last.

We'll see next race whether significant progress has been made or if Binder found something special this week.

Always great to see a rider get his first victory. Props to Fernandez.
Last edited by Fingernails on Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vmax666

Post by Vmax666 »

Binder definitely looked fast on the straights as well as quick in the corners
Martin looked good to catch the leaders until his fall
Shame for lowes but despite not being happy it was a racing incident.
Shame for Marquez it was shaping up to be a good race to the finish