Danny Kent

Debate and discussion about the feeder classes of MotoGP, including the fabulous 250s, the thrilling 125s, and the madness that is the Red Bull Rookies
Mikesbytes

Danny Kent

Post by Mikesbytes »

An unusual situation;

1. Fantastic in Moto3
2. Move to Moto2
3. Suck
4. Ditch Moto2 before learning the ropes
5. Back in Moto3.... perhaps
My signature isn't particularly interesting

MiniNinjaMk5

Re: Danny Kent

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Remember he had been in Moto2 previously (although on the Tech-3 Mistral, which hasn't been able to get near the front of a race since the first few Moto2 seasons)

Hopefully Danny will get his head down and get some results on the KTM in Moto3, going on the article that David wrote it does sound like given the sentiment in the paddock he is lucky to get the offer. Some of that is surely down to Antonelli struggling and the factory guys being beaten by the privateer teams.

I did read Danny's ride on the Suter is being taken by Taylor McKenzie, who is performing really well on the BSS Yamaha this season - will be interesting to see how he gets on.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

I think these guys get lots of flak now unecssaaily. It can't be an easy decision but more often the case is people stick around the job they have and fight it out only to fade away slowly anyway. A few times people say it's not working I'm going to do something else. The down side with other teams / future employers is no one wants to commit to someone who may up and leave. But if you can make your case with good reason, recalling Vinales situation, than it is more accepted. Hope it works out for him. Nothing wrong with being a Moto3 resident aliean.

yamfan

Post by yamfan »

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:Remember he had been in Moto2 previously (although on the Tech-3 Mistral, which hasn't been able to get near the front of a race since the first few Moto2 seasons)

Hopefully Danny will get his head down and get some results on the KTM in Moto3, going on the article that David wrote it does sound like given the sentiment in the paddock he is lucky to get the offer. Some of that is surely down to Antonelli struggling and the factory guys being beaten by the privateer teams.

I did read Danny's ride on the Suter is being taken by Taylor McKenzie, who is performing really well on the BSS Yamaha this season - will be interesting to see how he gets on.
Isn't it Tarran "Taz" McKenzie, Taylor's younger brother who's getting the ride? He's the reigning champion, won it last year on a Kawasaki and switched to a Yamaha R6 this year and has won 6/6 so far this season.

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

seems that way.

Be interesting to see how he does - it's been pointed out the Kenan Sofogulu (sp?) struggled on the Moto2 after WSS dominance
Maybe if you jump earlier, you are more adaptable. He's also going to be making a double-jump isn't he? just as he gets his head round the current Moto2 bike, it'll be next season and a different bike (assuming he's got a 2-year deal and/or can make it stick in some way)

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Yes apologies, Taz not Taylor! Always get the two mixed up.

Is it actually a contract stepover then to the Moto2 Kiefer bike?

Definitely agree it is going to be a big challenge. There is precedent for riders taking the step (Sam Lowes for instance from WSS) but even he struggled a fair bit in his first season (and that was a full one). Seem to remember that Sofulogu did well when he first stepped in for the three races at the end of the season (again I think stepping in for someone), with the exception of crashing and breaking Jules Simon's leg. But then he struggled a lot in the first full season afterwards.

But despite Kent's woes think Kiefer have got a good track record. Aegerter has done well and it looks like the Suter has potential. BSS is probably one of the most competitive supersport categories in the world, a real axe-murderer class, so that should put him in good stead.

Will be interesting to see how he goes this weekend! Think finishing the race and a top 20 would be considered a real success.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

And now back to Moto2. I'm getting the feeling its more to do with what rides are available

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/249841 ... gello.html
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Mikesbytes wrote:And now back to Moto2. I'm getting the feeling its more to do with what rides are available

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/249841 ... gello.html
Yep absolutely due to what's available... and he's a world champion, so people won't be shy about getting him on there bikes.