Arthur Sissis

Debate and discussion about the feeder classes of MotoGP, including the fabulous 250s, the thrilling 125s, and the madness that is the Red Bull Rookies
Mikesbytes

Arthur Sissis

Post by Mikesbytes »

I saw Arthur as an up and coming rider, perhaps there was a bit of home country rhetoric. Either way it didn't happen and he disappeared of the international scene.

Motomatters put up this excellent article and it highlights the difficulties of progressing the career

Who else do you think could of done it great but fell by the side?
My signature isn't particularly interesting

oldboyonrgv

Re: Arthur Sissis

Post by oldboyonrgv »

E-racer

Post by E-racer »

Speaking of wasted Aussies; Anthony Gobert.

AND... Gary McCoy was super fun to watch but, sadly... the rider/bike/team combination couldn't sustain his career.
a duck is just a fowl but a DUC is often afoul of the law.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Gobert - last I heard about him he was broke and living as a virtual bum on the Gold Coast (near Brisbane, Eastern Australia). A classic don't take drugs story.

McCoy got the final stab when testing for Ilmore and then not getting selected to race

What about the German guy who came second in 250's. The name is evading me

E-racer

Post by E-racer »

nothing was ill-more than that ill-conceived bike.

I like jogging my memory but your making me sprint with that german 250 rider question.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

I wouldn't say McCoy fell by the wayside in his career, anyone who had several wins in GPs (smoking his way to wins on that Red Bull Yamaha!) and then a fairly successful run of it in WSBK should be pretty pleased with themselves. Would have to look it up but didn't he race into his 30's?

Mikesbytes - German, do you mean Ralf Waldmann? Bloody good 250 rider, had that brilliant win on the wet track at Donington (Jules Ryder always mentions it during commentary) and came from almost being lapped on the last lap to win. Can't remember who it was he took the win from though!

Tom94

Post by Tom94 »

IIRC it was Jacques on the TZM Yamaha. Waldmann was also fast in the 125 class might have won the 125 championship if the Zwafink team he was riding for at the time hadn't forgotten the refill the gearbox oil on several occasions.

I think McCoys absolute low point was in 1995 when he was fired after the race in Jerez and was left sitting with all of his stuff in the middle of the parking lot next to the paddock as all of the team vehicles drove off. In the middle all his worldly goods was his first place trophy when he won either the second or third round (possibly Shah Alam).

E-racer

Post by E-racer »

Waldman was a serious contender but the first thought I had of a German championship rival was Jon Ekerold. He probably was of German decent but then i recalled that he was a South Africaner. Has there been another serious challenge from there until Binder?

I remember Ekerold breaking his arm and building a support brace for it onto his 350(?) and raced wounded to win the championship. In that same year, Freddy Spencer bumped his knee (at speed) into a gator strip and flew home to the USA to lick his wounds. Thats a do or die-chotomy I think.

Anyway, Tony Mang was the German de jour in 1980.

E-racer

Post by E-racer »

Tom94 wrote:I think McCoys absolute low point was in 1995 when he was fired after the race in Jerez and was left sitting with all of his stuff in the middle of the parking lot next to the paddock as all of the team vehicles drove off. In the middle all his worldly goods was his first place trophy when he won either the second or third round (possibly Shah Alam).
Bleakness. Absolut (pass-the-bottle) bleakness

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Didn't know about McCoy being dumped in the car park, that really sucks.

Was Waldman I was thinking off. The Mang thing is before I was getting TV coverage and so the only info that came my way was in magazines. KR was king in 250 & 350 with Mang and Ballenger? taking 1st and 2nd, however when Kawasaki moved to 500's the bike they made was too heavy and it only worked well at certain circuits.

We might be seeing a promising but never made it happening at the moment in Alex Marquez. After winning Moto3 he has struggled in Moto2

Tumi

Post by Tumi »

Last 3 laps of Donington 250 race in 2000. Ryder & Moody were just babbling and did not notice Waldmann charging up until second to last lap when Ralfy had already caught Jacque by well over a minute during 7 laps. I was a Waldmann fan at the time and watched it live, will never forget this race.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Tumi wrote:Last 3 laps of Donington 250 race in 2000. Ryder & Moody were just babbling and did not notice Waldmann charging up until second to last lap when Ralfy had already caught Jacque by well over a minute during 7 laps. I was a Waldmann fan at the time and watched it live, will never forget this race.
Even though I knew the result, it had me on the edge of my seat

Felt sorry for Jay Vincent, he was on track for his only ever podium finish

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

One of my best momories of Waldmann (and a good reason for you wanting him to get on the Podium) were his after race interviews, which generally involved an extremely loud voice, exclamations and swearing. :D

E-Racer - Previous SA champion to Binder, Korky Ballington?

E-racer

Post by E-racer »

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote: E-Racer - Previous SA champion to Binder, Korky Ballington?
I'm embarrassed by my lapse. Kork kicked ass for real.

E-racer

Post by E-racer »

I'm almost as tired as the riders at the end of a moto3 race. Probably more.

Apical

Post by Apical »

Arthur Sissis is racing in the Australian superbike championship on a Suzuki. He raced in ASBK last year as well.

Arty is currently tenth in the chip with two rounds to go & he finished 10th in the chip last year.

https://www.asbk.com.au/rider/arthur-sissis/

Met Arthur in the pits at Hidden valley, Darwin last year. Told him I was pleased to see him racing again.

Arthur Sissis is still only 25, plenty of opportunity ahead of him.
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson