Rider Aids comming for Moto2..??

Debate and discussion about the feeder classes of MotoGP, including the fabulous 250s, the thrilling 125s, and the madness that is the Red Bull Rookies
kenup283

Rider Aids comming for Moto2..??

Post by kenup283 »

Cruzzing through FIM press realeses I came across a recent invitation to bid to be the official Moto2 electronics supplier from 2019.

http://www.fim-live.com/en/library/down ... o_cache/1/

Amoung the requirements are all the goodies, traction and launch control, anti-wheelie, ride by wire, tourqe mapping, etc. that have been curtailed and eliminated from the series with the creation of Moto2 in the first place.

But now I read in Roadracing World that these changes will actually take place for 2017....

The reason given was to give riders experience with the rider aids to ease their transition and prepare them for the step to MotoGP....

Surprissingly seems like someone is trying to make Moto2 more expensive.... I do not buy the stepping stone argument. Most teams will start a new ridder without rider aids on a MotoGP bike and introduce the concepts as needed, and most moto2 riders won't go to MotoGP anyway.

What good does all this stuff do for Moto2 other than make it now more costly to chase additional tenths in setup parameters and the need to hire the people to do so.?

Tourn46

Re: Rider Aids comming for Moto2..??

Post by Tourn46 »

Hopefully it will bring the racing closer than it's ever been before - as it has done for MotoGP ;)

JanBros

Post by JanBros »

Tourn46 wrote:Hopefully it will bring the racing closer than it's ever been before - as it has done for MotoGP ;)
it will be more boring :cry:
the introduction of inch-perfect racing
no more sliding
no more guys coming from behind to the front

in a nutshell, it will be MotoGP but slower.
Bi-stroker Parallelus Bi-cylindricus

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

JanBros wrote:
Tourn46 wrote:Hopefully it will bring the racing closer than it's ever been before - as it has done for MotoGP ;)
it will be more boring :cry:
the introduction of inch-perfect racing
no more sliding
no more guys coming from behind to the front

in a nutshell, it will be MotoGP but slower.
None of that happens in Moto2 anyway, it's been utter dog shit for years. I welcome changes to it.

JanBros

Post by JanBros »

Tourn46 wrote: None of that happens in Moto2 anyway, it's been utter dog shit for years
yes it does, and it was a great year.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

The last race was an absolute barn burner from the start. Bikes getting thrown into every possible gap every which way just about all race long. I think the lul in the series was one less than stellar year a few seasson ago that had more to do with a group of top riders who regularly diced it up moving on. It's came back as others coming into the fray but the stigma stuck.

Intresting point on whether it would make things any closer.. I'm honestly not sure. I think it does help in the higher Hp bikes to bridge the gap and managed the tires over race but I'm not sure how it will be on lower power bikes and if the contol and managment benefits help bring together or seperate the pack. Most probably we notice no decernable change in closeness after teams get used to it but insteade we see less visuals as mentioned above, and the faster way around becomes beign smooth versus backing it in.

It's no secrect moto2 is cheaper than moto3, and in some regards I think this could be an effort to raise the status of moto2 as it has been diving lots of flack lately. Also this past year the electronic rider aids were cut out of WSS to bring their costs down, and now they are opening them up in Moto2. So I wonder if it's a bit of jockeying about regarding which series is going to be more advanced in the hierarchy.

JanBros

Post by JanBros »

the more perfect bikes get, the less room for errors, the less the racing is atractive and the less it's unpredictable.
and electronics make bikes more perfect, raise the costs (more personel) and increases the difference between rich and poor teams (the more areas one can work on a bike, the more people will work on a bike in a rich team, while in a poor team a guy simply has to do more tasks and so each additional task will be less perfctly executed).

it still is a sport and racing, not a manufacturers R&D department. if they want to pursuit electronics, there are plenty of options in other series. leave Moto2 as it is : it is unique, cheap and mostly fun to watch and a good indicatioin of the raw speed of the racers and their ability to ride on the limit, and not hedden/helped by electronics.