Jake Dixon

Debate and discussion about the feeder classes of MotoGP, including the fabulous 250s, the thrilling 125s, and the madness that is the Red Bull Rookies
Vmax666

Jake Dixon

Post by Vmax666 »

Just read jake has signed for Petronas in moto2
Great move
Roll on next year
Think he was lucky to be dropped by his current team and great of dorna to sort out the Petronas ride

Hopefully Sam and jake has a competitive season next year

Schwantz34

Re: Jake Dixon

Post by Schwantz34 »

I'd love to see it but just not so sure either will have a great year.

Lowes was rapid in the pre season testing this year but until the last two races he's been dire. How that got him the Marc VDS seat I really don't know.
Dixon has no pedigree in GP so although the bike's a dog there is no accurate guide as to how he'll fare on a competitive one. Sure he had a decent Dynavolt ride at Silverstone last year and didn't go that we'll.

Pessimistic I know but hopefully they both prove me completely wrong!!

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Given that Jake has been mired down the unfashionable end of the grid this year, I think signing for Petronas looks like a result. They are a Kalex team this year, so I presume that will continue. Both the Moto3 and MotoGP teams are decent, so hopefully there's some good management in there that will give the Moto2 team a good chance.

It's hard to know how good the team will be, as they don't seem to have a rider who's actually done a season with them. But, at least Jake is getting another chance to show what he can do.

Vmax666

Post by Vmax666 »

Unfortunately lots of riders were made to look less than average riding the ktm
When jake rode the dynavolt it was on the suter when the suter was not competitive

Not sure how most Brit riders can prove themselves at MotoGP level as there is very little support in the country to get anyone through the classes in MotoGP or even into the junior world champs

Yet there always seem support to go the wsbk route ( although not through junior ranks like ss300 )

Grass route support needs to change to get these junior riders a foot on the ladder
All the support seems to be the main superbike class in bsb so all riders naturally go wsbk route

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I saw this mentioned somewhere recently. I think it might have been David Emmett, on this site.

In Spain the big local series is a Moto3 series, which gives Spanish riders a direct path into the world championships. However, in the UK the big local series is BSB, and the various Supersport and Superstock classes feed into that. I'm not even sure I've seen a British Moto3 race. I thought there was some sort of series ... googles ... ah, here it is: https://www.msvracing.com/bikes/race-se ... mpionship/ I'm sure these are covered in the motorcycling press, but I've heard almost nothing about this championship.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Fingernails wrote:I saw this mentioned somewhere recently. I think it might have been David Emmett, on this site.

In Spain the big local series is a Moto3 series, which gives Spanish riders a direct path into the world championships. However, in the UK the big local series is BSB, and the various Supersport and Superstock classes feed into that. I'm not even sure I've seen a British Moto3 race. I thought there was some sort of series ... googles ... ah, here it is: https://www.msvracing.com/bikes/race-se ... mpionship/ I'm sure these are covered in the motorcycling press, but I've heard almost nothing about this championship.
There was definitely Moto3 when I was at Knockhill last year - Tom Booth-Amos, who appears to be struggling in the world championship was there for sure.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

There's a Moto2 subclass in amongst the supersport 600 machines too

Vmax666

Post by Vmax666 »

The moto3 series in the U.K. is turning into the british talent cup next year so they will all be on the same standard bike
For some reason most U.K. riders improve the most as they get older so tend to miss out in MotoGP
There is also little non enthusiast sponsorship in the lower classes that would be willing to back a rider going to the MotoGP classes
Can’t think of any large sponsor from the U.K. in MotoGP classes except the dodgy investment company cal was sponsored by a couple of years ago and Castrol
So I hope jake has a better year next year and also Tom booth Amos gets a better ride

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

I might be talking out of turn here but Booth Amos talked like Johnny Big Bollocks when he was in BSB and in the early part of Moto 3 world championship 2019. He keeps on saying on TV that it's the bike but his teamate Binder does well on a semi regular basis, not sure whether his talent is short of world material or whether it's the bike?????

Vmax666

Post by Vmax666 »

Your right about Tom
But when in the british moto3 championship he won convincingly and had a good showing in the british gp that year on his bsb spec bike
However when he raced in cev the following year he didn’t do to well. Had a couple of good showings but crashed and injured himself a few times
This year he has not shown much to keep him there but from a U.K. perspective i would like to see him have another chance in another team to see if it’s him or the team
After all john Mcfee rode for the same team last year and had lots of issues with the team set up and has done a lot better this year in a good team

But if there are no U.K. big sponsors around to sponsor young riders getting into gp’s I can understand other teams not wanting to take the risk

Vmax666

Post by Vmax666 »

Good to see jake improving lots this year
Shows the importance of a good team to a riders chances of doing well
The same for Sam. Looking far better than any previous years

Listened to jakes interview in a podcast with Neil Hodgson during the lockdown where he says he told the team when they signed him he would be matching and then beating his teammate by the end of the year. Looks like he was right

Hope he and Sam stay in the same teams for next year

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I think 4th is a good result for Jake. Imagine how pleased everyone would have been with that a few races ago. I think that Jake has done enough to stay this year and have a crack at the championship.

For Sam Lowes, the actual championship should be possible this year. Particularly if we continue with the situation where it seems that nobody wants to win the championship.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

So, so happy for Jake. That was a great ride and showed the previous weekend wasn't a bolt of lightning.

Do we know if his contract for 2021 has been renewed? I had heard McPhee was going come onto the bike and take the ride, but heard he is now in talks with the Moto2 MV Augusta squad so does that mean they are keeping Jake?

Lowes is doing so well too! The death ray that worked so well on Dixon last weekend worked on Bezzechi yesterday. When was the last British middleweight WC? I had to look it up - 49 years ago, Phil Read on a Yamaha in 1971 (!)
Incredible to think he missed the first race of the year then had the race where his brain fell out and he got black-flagged.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Awesome news that Jake has re-signed with Petronas for next year, think he definitely deserves it. Moto2 is probably one of the toughest classes to race, and he has only been on that Kalex chassis for a short period of time.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:04 am
Awesome news that Jake has re-signed with Petronas for next year, think he definitely deserves it. Moto2 is probably one of the toughest classes to race, and he has only been on that Kalex chassis for a short period of time.
Yes, that's good news. Not all riders get a fair shake of the stick, and it seems Jake is. It's not unusual for riders to show flashes of potential at the end of one season and then be consistent front-runners the next. Though, other patterns do happen too. Petronas is a great team and a championship challenge is easily possible at Petronas - even without championship leaders falling off.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

To be fair I think it shows that the talent in BSB is definitely high but that any switch to GP racing definitely needs a settling in/ adjustment period

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

Didn't see all of fp1 today but heard Keith Huewen saying at the end of Moto 2 that Dixon and Kasma Daniel didn't go out because of the conditions?????????

Is it just me or WTF and something more to this?

I know in the past both have enjoyed throwing bikes up the road but seems bizarre given the potential for further rain this weekend and Valencia 2 next week

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

crash.net says they didn't come out to play because of injuries picked up in fp1.

I suspect it's one of those where a small injury in a likely place to fall isn't something to risk a season (or career)-ending re-injure. As the conditions get iffier, the chances of falling become higher.

Given moto2 is on a smaller budget than MotoGP, they be running low on parts as well - if your team is not in contention for something, would you really want to shell out on another set of leathers with two races to go?

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Jake going very well in Qatar testing although apparently still in a lot of pain with his wrist, having to come in and get an ice pack after every session. You have to say it's probably going to affect his weekend certainly in round 1 and 2, but definitely promising if he is already back at that kind of pace.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Sadly the first two races haven't been good for Jake. Hopefully he'll do better in the rest of the season.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

Was the first one not a decent ride? Struggled last week but let's not forget how serious that wrist injury was last year

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Schwantz34 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:59 pm
Was the first one not a decent ride? Struggled last week but let's not forget how serious that wrist injury was last year
I thought he got knocked off. Not his fault, but not a good result in the end. I didn't say the results were entirely his fault.

EDIT: No, he finished 7th. My memory has failed me yet again. Sorry.