Round 9 Dutch TT (Assen)

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Fingernails

Round 9 Dutch TT (Assen)

Post by Fingernails »

In 2019, there was a rare win for Vinales. Doesn't seem too likely this year, but stranger things have happened.

For me the biggest question will be whether MM93 has made a major step forward last race, or whether he'll drop back into the field.

CLX

Re: Round 9 Dutch TT (Assen)

Post by CLX »

I hope the left and right directions changes favor Zarco. It would be good if he clawed back some points on Quartararo, but I won't mind it if he wins or does well.

Oliveira doing well would obviously be interesting for the title fight.

My blind bet is Quartaro, Zarco, Oliveira.
My ideal podium for a more exciting title battle - nothing at all personal against FQ - would be Zarco, Oliveira, Marquez.

But in all honestly this as unpredictable as it has ever been to me except Quartararo in the top 5.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Yes I would be surprised if Vinales even podiums, things look really dark there at the moment.

Conversely Quartararo is looking very good, he loves the track and the Yamaha goes well here.
I think between him and Oliviera for the win, Miguel has got such a good run of form at the moment, the KTM is working better and he is riding a wave.

I'm not sure with Marquez - I think last weekend was spectacular but a 'perfect storm'. We have seen he still has a way to go with both his fitness and the improvements for the bike.

No idea with the Ducatis!

CLX

Post by CLX »

Do you guys think a win at Assen means more than a win at other tracks and guys might be more aggressive?

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

I think it definitely used to be regarded as a special win. With riders saying if you win one race that's the place to do it. I don't know why! :)

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

And, after our comments yesterday, Vinales is at the top of both sessions today. :D :D :D

Interesting to see Garett Gerloff replacing Morbidelli. Gerloff has shown quite some promise in WSBK. I guess they didn't choose Razgatlioglu for the seat as he's a championship contender and the risk of injury may be too high. It'll be interesting to see where Gerloff rises to over the weekend - how close he gets to any of the other Yamaha riders.

Speaking of risk of injury this highside by Marc Marquez looks scary. https://www.crash.net/motogp/results/98 ... -2-results

mastercraftx1

Post by mastercraftx1 »

Nice to see that they gave the chance to Gerloff, hopefully it's a bit of a job interview for next year. This weekend is going to be pretty tough, since he's never ridden at Assen before. Also with the changing conditions. Looks like it could be a weird weather weekend again. Would be good if FP3 is dry in the morning.

Looks like Alpinestars modified the velcro cover over the zipper on the leathers. There's a bit more material under the logo, making the flap that covers the zipper much larger. Before you could always see Fabio's zipper pull sticking out, now it's completely covered. Guess they just did something to make a "cover your ass" type move to appease Dorna.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

It's a tall order to expect something fantastic out of someone who has had little time on the bike/tyres. The experience of a different bike and different team might indirectly help him in WSBK.

Why Gerloff and not Razgatlioglu or someone else could of also boiled down to sponsorship conflicts, like competing energy drinks etc.

Vinales fastest in both FP1 & FP2. Combined practice times is a mix between FP1 & FP2, don't know the details on that. Vinales looks to me to be a great rider to get your bike on the podium with the occasional win but doesn't have the consistency to become world champion.
My signature isn't particularly interesting

mastercraftx1

Post by mastercraftx1 »

Think Gerloff was the choice for a couple reasons, Raz is 2nd in the world superbike championship. Gerloff is american and Dorna wants an american in MotoGP. He turned some heads last year when in rode for Rossi during the friday practice. Yamaha doesn't have anything to lose by giving him the ride this weekend, if he does really well then that just gives them another option for next year.

Vinales was super good today. He did the 33.0 in FP1 on a medium tire on it's 22nd lap! The redo of the asphalt seems super fast, track should just get faster with more rubber. If it's dry for qualifying, track records will more than likely be broken. FP2 it was dry in the beginning and then it started raining, everyone waited for awhile until the track got really wet before they went back out. Vinales was even pretty fast in the wet. There's no telling what the rest of his weekend will be like.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

And, FP3 has spoken. Vinales still on top. Two Hondas straight through to Q2, and neither Marquez is among them.

I'll be picking up the quali later in the day - not watching live. Speak to everyone after that.

This has to be genuine pace by Vinales now. Surely he's favourite for the race.

hdot

Post by hdot »

Marc is (justifiably IMO) pissed about that highside

When is HRC gonna get their stuff together

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

after a best position of 10th for a Ducati rider (Miller) in Free Practice both Bagnaia and Zarco after taking out Q1 have done well in Q2. While the winner is likely to be Vinales or Quartararo, its not clear who else will be on the podium.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:42 pm
after a best position of 10th for a Ducati rider (Miller) in Free Practice both Bagnaia and Zarco after taking out Q1 have done well in Q2. While the winner is likely to be Vinales or Quartararo, its not clear who else will be on the podium.
I predict Olivera for the podium. And, not necessarily on the 3rd spot either.

CLX

Post by CLX »

Could it be, Maverick and Fabio head to head?
Would be nice to watch.

-----

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

CLX wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:48 am
Could it be, Maverick and Fabio head to head?
Would be nice to watch.
A pity that it wasn't. Maverick fades at the start, and then recovers. Yet again.

Personally I thought that Miguel Olivera would feature more than he did. And, it's a pity that Nakagami faded just when he looked like he was on for a podium.

In Moto3, some classic damage limitation by Acosta. A pity that he seemed to run out of tyres (I would guess) even though he arrived in the lead group with enough time left to win. His result appears to be 4th, while he went over the line in 5th. Penalties again. For Binder, I read. I was surprised to see Acosta in the race after he missed qualifying.

In Moto2, I must keep reminding myself that Raul Fernandez is a rookie in Moto2. He is very good indeed. Not as consistent as Gardner, but that's to be expected from a rookie.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

on start was Vinales was way late on getting his leg back on to upshift. When went back to look saw only two riders yet to get that left foot back on that late. The other rider was Rossi.. Need to short shift these monsters and let'um eat asphault.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

kenup283 wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:09 am
on start was Vinales was way late on getting his leg back on to upshift. When went back to look saw only two riders yet to get that left foot back on that late. The other rider was Rossi.. Need to short shift these monsters and let'um eat asphault.

I think Vinales said he had clutch problems, I didn't hear it clearly but he might of said the clutch burnt out

CLX

Post by CLX »

Too bad we missed Fabio vs Maverick, but it was still a nice race. And the result paints a fair picture of things, Fabio is just as fast and much more opportunistic than Maverick. Without some incredible randomness at Jerez and Barcelona, we'd be calculating which weekend would have the title decided.

Marc's charge was highly surprising, I didn't think he'd gain that much.

Besides the holeshot device, do all bikes except Suzuki have the 'squat before a straight' feature?

-----

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Beautiful ride by FQ. Made a strong move at the start and the most of the gap he pulled on the only other guy who I think had a chance to fight him. By the time Maverick got through it was too late.

Bagnaia's ride was heroic, had no right to stay in 2nd as long as he did and made that Ducati as wide as a dump truck. I didn't see where he had run over the green but I'm guessing it was marginal, good job race control in ruining that element of the race.

Felt a bit sorry for Nakagami. Got nerfed a couple of times and then made a couple of mistakes, 9th position was a punishment that didn't fit the crime. Really it just shows how competitive and how fast these guys are, you make the tiniest of mistakes and you are out.

Zarco looked like a genuine title contender again, managing to get the most from a bike that wasn't suited to the track. Very high praise from Simon Crafar, saying it reminded him of Carl Fogarty when he was riding well on the Duke.

Championship-wise Quartararo looking a lot stronger now. He definitely seems to have matured and most importantly is managing to get results in the top 5 in races that haven't gone his way (last year he was crashing or sliding out of the points). My only hesitation is the unforced errors (Catalunya, which was his 25pts for the taking). Also the arm pump that cost him one race win and looks like it was still a problem on Sunday. But, I think what is saving him is that he is so fast that he is getting the race wins and no-one else is coming close, or if they are consistent (Zarco, Mir) they're not getting the race wins. But, a couple of tough races for the Yamaha after the summer break in Austria, so again it will be interesting there if he can apply damage limitation, and if he is beaten, not lose too many points.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

It's difficult to do a "what if" for Quartararo vs Vinales. Based on what I saw in the race plus a bit of history, I'd guess that Quartararo would of ended up on Vinales tail and would of overtaken him, then Vinales would of being behind Quartararo not able to overtake. However towards the end of the race Vinales with lower fuel and more preserved tyres would of been able to overtake resulting in a battle of the more preserved Vinales vs the better overtaking Quartararo Which would of been a great fight to watch

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

I would say with everything going on with MV at the moment, that race would have been win or straw bales (to quote John Kocisnki) for him, if he had been in a position to actually race with FQ!

Quick mention of other classes; it was nice to see a Moto3 race that wasn't just an axe murdering session. First time in a while I haven't had to look away from the screen..

Moto2 - think that Fernandez is definitely something special. I had thought that before, but wondered how much of his speed was good qualifying + getting out in front at the start and just hitting time trial-like rhythm with his laps (I say 'just' it would still have been impressive!). But, that race made me readjust my opinion; making some early mistakes, totally losing his rhythm, but then to be able to bounce back and cut through the field (and still be pulling away at the front) was so impressive. His manager is going to have some fun and a lot of phone calls over the summer break that's for sure..